Bridgeport Ferry

  • meagansmom@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 8, 2006
      Does anyone have any information on the Bridgeport Ferry ran by James Clayton Cooper.

      Family Folklore has it that he killed a man in self defense in Bridgeport due to arguing about the ferry business.

      Does anyone have any information on this case? I have never found any proof of this.

      Shelley Carter-Frady

      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 9, 2006
        For any one related to Elfrida Barnett, Don Howell has posted an old photo of her at the rootsweb jackson county message board

        http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/rw/AU.2ADI/711

        Elfrida 6 b. AL is listed with Patrick and Jane Barnett on the 1860 Div 1 (Bridgeport PO) Jackson Co. Census.

      • frances_lambert2000
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 17, 2006
          Researching Peter Cooper for a friend. Found him buried in Moore
          Chapel Cemetery C.S.A marker no dates. 1900 census gives birth date as
          may 1845. Do you have death date? I think he was the father of James
          Clayton Cooper. We are going to try to go to the cemetery this week.
          Frances Lambert

        • meagansmom@bellsouth.net
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 17, 2006
            Peter Cooper was James Clayton's father. James Clayton was my grandmother's
            father.

            I thought he was buried somewhere at Island Creek Cove. Is this cemetary
            near there? I have that he was born May 9th, 1843 Trenton, (Deerhead Cove)
            Dade County, Georgia. Died March 23rd,1915 Long Island, (Sellar's Place)
            Jackson County, AL.

            If you want alot of information on this family line do a search for Donald
            Panther Yates and check out his sites. He has a ton of info on this family.
            Some of it is confusing to me.

            I may have much of the information you need.

            Shelley
            > Researching Peter Cooper for a friend. Found him buried in Moore
            > Chapel Cemetery C.S.A marker no dates. 1900 census gives birth date as
            > may 1845. Do you have death date? I think he was the father of James
            > Clayton Cooper. We are going to try to go to the cemetery this week.
            > Frances Lambert
            >
            > --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, <meagansmom@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> Does anyone have any information on the Bridgeport Ferry ran by
            > James Clayton Cooper.
            >>
            >> Family Folklore has it that he killed a man in self defense in
            > Bridgeport due to arguing about the ferry business.
            >>
            >> Does anyone have any information on this case? I have never found
            > any proof of this.
            >>
            >> Shelley Carter-Frady

          • frances_lambert2000
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 17, 2006
              This cemetery is at Long Island same place. I don't know how much
              info they need. He is in the Sons of Cofederates in Dade Ga
              I think he was trying to find the grave to see if it had a C.S.A
              marker if not they was going to put one up. There is one guy in their
              group that is a decendant of Peter Cooper.

            • meagansmom@bellsouth.net
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 17, 2006
                Peter Cooper was discharged due to injury. He lost a leg in battle, I have
                some of that information but I am sure they have that too.

                Wonder who it is that wants this info, he would have to be related to me?

                I would like to go to that cemetery sometime. Our Cooper reunions were at
                Island Creek Cove when I was a child,for some reason I just thought he was
                buried somewhere on that property.

                There is allot of Indian questions in regards to Peter Cooper as well.
                Supposedly his family runs in the line with Chief Black Fox of the
                Cherokee...according to Donald Panther Yates. It is interesting but I am not
                sure how it is proven. Also Mr. Yates has a theory, (proven by DNA-- I don't
                understand) that there is Melungeon in our family, which is a race of people
                in the Southern US that is supposedly of Mediterranean Jewish origin--
                Portuguese.
                This is all new to me so I am just trying to learn what I can.

                Shelley
                > This cemetery is at Long Island same place. I don't know how much
                > info they need. He is in the Sons of Cofederates in Dade Ga
                > I think he was trying to find the grave to see if it had a C.S.A
                > marker if not they was going to put one up. There is one guy in their
                > group that is a decendant of Peter Cooper.
                >

                >> Peter Cooper was James Clayton's father. James Clayton was my
                > grandmother's
                >> father.
                >>
                >> I thought he was buried somewhere at Island Creek Cove. Is this
                > cemetary
                >> near there? I have that he was born May 9th, 1843 Trenton,
                > (Deerhead Cove)
                >> Dade County, Georgia. Died March 23rd,1915 Long Island, (Sellar's
                > Place)
                >> Jackson County, AL.
                >>
                >> If you want alot of information on this family line do a search
                > for Donald
                >> Panther Yates and check out his sites. He has a ton of info on this
                > family.
                >> Some of it is confusing to me.
                >>
                >> I may have much of the information you need.
                >>
                >> Shelley

              • Shelley
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 1, 2009
                  born 1873 died 1959, ran the ferry. Family folklore has it that he was
                  threatened by someone not to run the ferry because it was invading on their
                  bootlegging space on the river. He set out one morning had a gun and was
                  threatened again and shot and killed the man.

                  Does anyone have any information about this story?

                  Shelley Carter- Frady

                  Check out my blog

                  <http://www.savorthesavings.blogspot.com> www.savorthesavings.blogspot.com

                  discover ways to save money with coupons on groceries and everyday items.

                • cagle8185@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 1, 2009
                    Shelly,

                    I lived and went to school in Bridgeport in th 50's and do not understand the conflect. The ferry only ran from sunup to sundown. If you missed the boat you had to go north or south about 40 miles on a dirt road to cross the river.

                    Because the ferry only operated in daylight hours, they did not interfeer with the bootlegers

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 1, 2009
                      Shelly, Ist mail sent premature, hit wrong button

                      I lived and went to school in Bridgeport in the 50's and do not understand the conflict. The ferry only ran from sunup to sundown. If you missed the boat you had to go north or south about 40 miles on a dirt road to cross the river.

                      Because the ferry only operated in daylight hours, they did not interfere with the bootleggers because they would make their run after midnight. Some of these runners did not make or sell booze but were commercial fishermen, using their large flat bottom boats to make a little extra $, and had reason to be on the river after dark. The way you knew if they were fishing or running booze was the lights on their boat. If fishing, you would see lights. If the boat ran straight across the river after midnight with no lights, you did not question what they were doing.

                      Bill Cagle

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 2, 2009
                        That is just the story I was told. Thanks for the information about the
                        bootleggers- I didn't have any idea how that went. There was according to
                        family tale that there was a murder and maybe the bootlegging thing was told
                        to glorify the story.-you know how that goes??? But I have never found any
                        information to substantiate even a shooting let alone a murder?? My dad at
                        one time told me the man's name he supposedly shot.

                        Shelley