Re: [jacksongenealogy] Charles Vaughn and wife Mary Money. Native Blood!

  • K E McNamara
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 6, 2006
      Is your Amy Jemmia Coffelt possibly a Caulfield, Cawlfield, Caughfield, Cawlfield, or Coffield?
      Looking for gparents of Thomas and Joseph David Cawfield of Bedford Co., TN.
      thank you-
      Kate

      Roy Chadwick <chadwick011554@...> wrote:
      Hi,
      Could your Vaughan/Vaughn's have came from Bedford/Coffee Co of TN?
      My GGparents were Robert Vaughn brn abt 1845 Coffee Co?,and Amy Jemmia
      Coffelt brn abt 1850 Bedford Co TN. I do believe that there were Indian blood in my Vaughn line,but not proven. My Gparents were Levi Lankford brn abt 1859 Grundy Co?TN,and Rhoda Caroline Vaughn brn abt 1870 Coffee Co TN.
      Roy aka Shadrach.

      lewatkins <lewatkins@...> wrote:
      There is a Vaught here in Jackson county who is running for sheriff. Is this
      a part of your Vaughn sound-alikes?
      Mary
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 15 5:32 AM
        The Vaughns are definitely Cherokee. My great great grandmother was Mary Magdaline Vaughan b. 1826-1830 in Jackson County, Alabama. I know she fits into this family in some way but can't pinpoint her parents. Mary lists her father as born in North Carolina and her mother in Tennessee. I know for certain that she was Cherokee and that she or someone in her family was on the Trail of Tears.

        About 1847 in Jackson County, Mary Vaughan married Henry Coulson, the widow of ? Graham, sister of Johanna Graham. Johanna Graham was married to his brother Jacob Coulson. The Coulson brothers were the sons of Isaac Coulson (Coulston, Colston, Cowlston in the Jackson County census records). The Grahams, Coulsons, and Vaughns are all listed in the 1840 Jackson County, Alabama census record.

        Henry and Mary's children were Samuel, Mary Ann, SARAH ALICE, James David, Cordelia M, John Lee, Nancy, and Martha L. Coulson. They are all listed in the Franklin County, Tennessee census records for 1860, 1870, and 1880.

        Sarah Alice Coulson married Thomas Cunningham of Coffee County, Tennessee and had my grandfather James Henry Cunningham. A man from the government came to their house to speak to my great grandmother Sarah about being Cherokee and Thomas threw him out. From what I'm told he tried to hide the fact that she was Cherokee and the children weren't to talk about it. My grandfather James didn't admit it until after he married my Cherokee grandmother and raised his children to be proud of their heritage.

        After researching Austin McClellahand Vaughn, (son of James Austin Vaughn and Rosey Lee McClellahand), I saw that his children and Henry and Mary's children all have the same names. It may be that Mary and Austin are siblings and Milly Vaughn(b.1781-1790)is their grandmother. I suppose it's possible that Mary Vaughan was the last child of Milly Vaughn.