Jackson County Howards?

  • William Potter
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 4, 2006
      Does anyone know of any Howard families in the Maynards Cove area
      around the 1880's? My Great-Grandfather was adopted when he was two
      years of age (around 1884 or 1886) and his birth name was John Monroe
      Howard, after his mother died (dont know what happened to the father)
      he was adopted by Rueben and Isabelle Potter of the Maynards Cove area
      and took their surname, I am attempting to learn the names of his
      parents. Thanks for any help
      WP
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 4, 2006
        Here is your John Howard with the Potters on the 1900 Census.

        1900 Tupelo Pct Jackson Co. AL

        Reuben Potter Dec 1833 66 Mar.4yrs AL VA SC Farmer
        Isabell Wife June 1852 47 Mar.4yrs no children GA GA SC
        Ann Golden Mother in Law Jan 1817 83 Wd AL SC SC
        John Howard Oct 1884 15 AR AL AR Farm Labor

        As you can see John Howard is listed as being born in Arkansas.

        Isabelle was the 3rd of Reuben Potter's wives.

        Will post more tomorrow on Reuben Potter. So far I have found no connection between the Potters and any of the Howards.

        Clay Gullatt

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 7, 2006
          Bear with me. It gets complicated.

          Marriages

          1. Reuben Potter m. Sarah Pace 28 Oct 1866 Jackson Co.

          2. Reuben L. Potter m. Elizabeth R. Britten 16 Dec 1869 Jackson Co. AL

          (James M. Britton m. Elizabeth R. Golden 10 Dec 1857 Madison Co AL)

          3. Reuben L. Potter m. Mrs. Isabella Powell 29 Dec 1895 Jackson Co. AL

          (Wm. J. Powell m. Isabelle Lawson 13 May 1869 De Kalb Co.AL)

          1850 Census Dist. 24 De Kalb Co. AL

          John C. French 59 Farmer SC
          Sarah 50 NC
          Sarah 17 AL
          Margarette 14 AL
          Martha 10 AL
          Reuben Potter 16 Farmer AL
          Jesse 14 Potter AL
          David 13 Potter AL

          1880 Beat 18 (Collins TS1 Range 5) Jackson Co. AL

          Reuben Potter 46 Head Farmer AL TN SC
          Elizabeth Wife 43 Keeping House AL GA AL
          Mary E. 11 Dau At School AL AL AL
          Annie Golden 64 Mother-in-Law AL NC NC
          Joseph Lackey 11 Apprentice Works on Farm AR AR AL

          It would seem that Reuben and his brothers were orphans in 1850.

          Elizabeth Golden was the daughter of Reuben and Anna Golden/Golding..

          I have not been able to find Reuben Potter on the 1860 and 1870. He was in Jackson Co. in 1869 don't know if he went to AR and them returned..

          Since I can not find Reuben on the 1860/70 I do not know if he had any more daughters who could have married a Howard in which case John Howard would be a grandson but that is not stated on the 1900 or the connection with John Howard could be either from one of his first two wives or his Mother in Law Annie Golden.

          I don't believe it is with Isabelle (Lawson) Powell Potter since Reuben did not marry her until 1895, if he was adopted in 1886 it was by Reuben and Elizabeth (Golden) Britten Potter. Note: he had not changed his last name on the 1900 census.

          There may be some court documents about the adoption in the Jackson County Probate Court.

          Clay Gullatt
          Mount Airy NC

        • William Potter
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 10, 2006
            Clay,
            Thank you!
            Interesting info indeed, I thought there was an Arkansas connection
            somewhere as John's wife Mattie Dickert was originally from Arkansas,
            however I don't have a clue what Rueben Potter would have been doing
            in that part of the country, I do know that from 1861 to 1865 Rueben
            was in the 34 Tennessee Infantry, I have always been curious about my
            great-grandfather John (Howard) Potter and you have helped fill in a
            few blanks, my grandfather (his son) told me that John's mother died
            and that his father had disappeared but that was all he knew, I would
            like to know all that I can about his history.
            Thanks a million
            William Potter

            --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, clay gullatt