Re: [jacksongenealogy] Re: Lily (BOWEN) OWENS

  • Gullick99@aol.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 25, 2006
      THANK YOU CLAY!! You are great. Thank you again for all your help..
      Regards,
      Jean

      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 26, 2006
        Jean

        This is another maybe.

        Mrs. Lucy C. Bowen m. T.A. Rodgers 26 Jul 1891 Jackson County AL by P.C. Ward OS Page 142

        This is the only other Bowen marriage in Jackson Co.

        1900 Census Larkinsville, Jackson Co. AL

        House 45 Family 46
        Isaac A. Rogers Head Nov 1824 75 Mar.10yrs MD MD MD Farmer
        Lucy C. Rogers Wife Jun 1851 48 Mar. 10yrs 4Child/4Living TN SCOT PA
        Dick Meltone Servant May 1883 17 Single TN TN TN

        This Mrs. Lucy C. Bowen could either be Lily, Arthur and Mack's mother or could be a sister in law. She is old enough to be their mother, Arthur and Lily on the 1900 said their mother was b. in TN. Mack said in GA.

        The simplest solution and most probably would be to say this is their mother, since she is in Jackson County and there would be another child to find since she says she had 4 and 4 were living in 1900.

        Could not find Lucy C. Bowen on any other census. Isaac A. Rogers is on the 1850 and 1880 in Logan Co. OH. Mrs. Lucy C. Bowen was apparently his third wife.

        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 26, 2006
          Jean

          Hezikiah Bowen's family on the 1880 not the right family. Harley is on the 1900 Census with his brother Joseph E. Bowen in Chatham Co. GA.

          Looks like your best bet is Mrs. Lucy C. Bowen as their mother.

        • Joe&Janelle Burt
          Message 4 of 19 , Mar 26, 2006
            Clay
            Could this be P.C. Word? He's in my geneology and I don't know much
            about him?
            JaNelle

          • Gullick99@aol.com
            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 26, 2006
              Thank you Clay,
              The Rogers name has been an interest since I talked to a Bobby Owens in Fife,
              Al. He had said Lily Owens maiden name was Rogers and I had never been able
              to figure out how she was a sister to Arthur and Mac if she was a Rogers.
              This could be the key. Thank you so very much. All your help has been greatly
              appreciated.
              Regards,
              Jean Bowen

              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 27, 2006
                JaNelle

                Presley Clay Word was a MOG, don't know for which church, who lived in Marshall Co. AL although he performed many marriages (14) in Jackson Co. and was married (twice) in Jackson Co. Marshall Co. is not on the ancestry index. Marshall Co's index is at the algenweb marshall county alabama website. He had a long career starting in 1868 while the last listed is Oct 1900 but that is about as far as the index goes.

                In addition to Mrs. Lucy C. Bowen he also married Mack Boen (Bowen) and Mary Paradise in 1891.

                P.C. Ward m. Alabama Gross 14 Apr 1853 Jackson Co. AL by MOG E.J. Shelton OS Page 102

                Presley C. Word m. Julia A. Beard 19 Nov. 1894 Jackson Co. AL by JOP J. P. Mayhall OS Page 23

                Presley's brother Wesley B. Word m.Mary E. Gross Jackson Co. by JOP Wm Stockton OS Page 15

                Sarah E. Word m. William D. Stanley 14 July 1872 Marshall Co. AL by W.W. McCutchen

                1850 23 SubDiv Marshall Co. AL
                China Word 45 (Female) SC
                Wesley B. 18 Farmer AL
                Presley C. 16 AL
                Sarah E. 10 AL

                They are also on the 1840 Marshall Co. AL Couldn't match them with anyone on the 1830.
                Sarah E. 20 is in Wesley's household in 1860 so looks like China Word died before then.

                1860 Tract 6 Range 4 E Marshall Co. AL
                P.C. Ward 26 Farmer AL
                Alabama 24 AL
                Addaline 6 AL

                1870 Kennamer Sub 44 TS6 R4 Marshall Co. AL
                Clay P. Word 35 Gospel Minister AL
                Alabama 32 AL
                Adaline 14 AL

                1880 Bosharts (TS6 R4E) Marshall Co. AL
                Presley Word 47 Head Farmer AL AL AL
                Alabama 45 Wife AL TN SC
                Malinda 25 Dau AL AL AL

                Looks like Malinda Adaline was his only child with Alabama.

                1900 Wrights, Marshall Co. AL
                Presley Word Head Oct 1833 66 mar.5yrs AL TN TN
                Julia A. Wife Jan 1878 22 mar.5yrs no children AL AL AL
                Robt L. Beard Brother-in-Law Mar 1886 14 AL AL AL At School

                Though P.C. says their parents were born in TN, Wesley B. says in SC which agrees with China on the 1850.

              • frances_lambert2000
                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 27, 2006
                  Found P clay Word in the book History of Jackson:
                  In 1883 the Jackson Presbytery had more than twenty congregations and
                  700 members ,in Jackson ,Marshall and a portion of Madison and Blount
                  counties. Churches were located at Scottsboro, Goose Pond ,
                  Larkinsville, Mount Olive, Pleasent Spring, Stevenson and Pleasant
                  Grove. Preachers: Robert Frazier, E.J. Stockton, C.B. Sanders, John
                  Irving, William Estill, M.G. milligan, J.J.Burdine, W.A. Kennamer,
                  F.M. Proctor, P. Clay Word, W.I Holt, R.d. Shook, W.S. Bridges, J.R.
                  Morris, and M.E. Gabarb

                  --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, clay gullatt
                  <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:

                  > JaNelle
                  >
                  > Presley Clay Word was a MOG, don't know for which church, who lived
                  in Marshall Co. AL although he performed many marriages (14) in
                  Jackson Co. and was married (twice) in Jackson Co. Marshall Co. is
                  not on the ancestry index. Marshall Co's index is at the algenweb
                  marshall county alabama website. He had a long career starting in
                  1868 while the last listed is Oct 1900 but that is about as far as
                  the index goes.

                  > In addition to Mrs. Lucy C. Bowen he also married Mack Boen (Bowen)
                  and Mary Paradise in 1891.

                  > P.C. Ward m. Alabama Gross 14 Apr 1853 Jackson Co. AL by MOG E.J.
                  Shelton OS Page 102

                  > Presley C. Word m. Julia A. Beard 19 Nov. 1894 Jackson Co. AL by
                  JOP J. P. Mayhall OS Page 23

                  > Presley's brother Wesley B. Word m.Mary E. Gross Jackson Co. by JOP
                  Wm Stockton OS Page 15

                  > Sarah E. Word m. William D. Stanley 14 July 1872 Marshall Co. AL by
                  W.W. McCutchen

                  > 1850 23 SubDiv Marshall Co. AL
                  > China Word 45 (Female) SC
                  > Wesley B. 18 Farmer AL
                  > Presley C. 16 AL
                  > Sarah E. 10 AL
                  >
                  > They are also on the 1840 Marshall Co. AL Couldn't match them with
                  anyone on the 1830.
                  > Sarah E. 20 is in Wesley's household in 1860 so looks like China
                  Word died before then.

                  > 1860 Tract 6 Range 4 E Marshall Co. AL
                  > P.C. Ward 26 Farmer AL
                  > Alabama 24 AL
                  > Addaline 6 AL
                  >
                  > 1870 Kennamer Sub 44 TS6 R4 Marshall Co. AL
                  > Clay P. Word 35 Gospel Minister AL
                  > Alabama 32 AL
                  > Adaline 14 AL
                  >
                  > 1880 Bosharts (TS6 R4E) Marshall Co. AL
                  > Presley Word 47 Head Farmer AL AL AL
                  > Alabama 45 Wife AL TN SC
                  > Malinda 25 Dau AL AL AL
                  >
                  > Looks like Malinda Adaline was his only child with Alabama.
                  >
                  > 1900 Wrights, Marshall Co. AL
                  > Presley Word Head Oct 1833 66 mar.5yrs AL TN TN
                  > Julia A. Wife Jan 1878 22 mar.5yrs no children AL AL AL
                  > Robt L. Beard Brother-in-Law Mar 1886 14 AL AL AL At School
                  >
                  > Though P.C. says their parents were born in TN, Wesley B. says in
                  SC which agrees with China on the 1850.

                  > Clay

                • frances_lambert2000
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 27, 2006
                    Found more info on P.C. Word.I was looking at the Guntersville
                    Reservoir cemetery relocatoin list Rev. P.C. word listed buried
                    Preston Cem. Here is Names and dates from Preston Cemetery Marsall
                    County Al. Addie Word b: 3-3-1834 d:4-11-1896
                    Rev. P.C Word b:10-31-1833 d:3-18-1912
                    Alabama Word b:4-5-1835 d:8-19-1894

                    --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "frances_lambert2000"
                    <frances_lambert2000@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > Word died before then.
                    > >
                    > > 1860 Tract 6 Range 4 E Marshall Co. AL
                    > > P.C. Ward 26 Farmer AL
                    > > Alabama 24 AL
                    > > Addaline 6 AL
                    > >
                    > > 1870 Kennamer Sub 44 TS6 R4 Marshall Co. AL
                    > > Clay P. Word 35 Gospel Minister AL
                    > > Alabama 32 AL
                    > > Adaline 14 AL
                    > >
                    > > 1880 Bosharts (TS6 R4E) Marshall Co. AL
                    > > Presley Word 47 Head Farmer AL AL AL
                    > > Alabama 45 Wife AL TN SC
                    > > Malinda 25 Dau AL AL AL
                    > >
                    > > Looks like Malinda Adaline was his only child with Alabama.
                    > >
                    > > 1900 Wrights, Marshall Co. AL
                    > > Presley Word Head Oct 1833 66 mar.5yrs AL TN TN
                    > > Julia A. Wife Jan 1878 22 mar.5yrs no children AL AL AL
                    > > Robt L. Beard Brother-in-Law Mar 1886 14 AL AL AL At School
                    > >
                    > > Though P.C. says their parents were born in TN, Wesley B. says in

                  • frances_lambert2000
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 27, 2006
                      Sorry Date on Addie Word Should be 1854

                      <frances_lambert2000@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      China
                      > > Word died before then.
                      > > >
                      > > > 1860 Tract 6 Range 4 E Marshall Co. AL
                      > > > P.C. Ward 26 Farmer AL
                      > > > Alabama 24 AL
                      > > > Addaline 6 AL
                      > > >
                      > > > 1870 Kennamer Sub 44 TS6 R4 Marshall Co. AL
                      > > > Clay P. Word 35 Gospel Minister AL
                      > > > Alabama 32 AL
                      > > > Adaline 14 AL
                      > > >
                      > > > 1880 Bosharts (TS6 R4E) Marshall Co. AL
                      > > > Presley Word 47 Head Farmer AL AL AL
                      > > > Alabama 45 Wife AL TN SC
                      > > > Malinda 25 Dau AL AL AL
                      > > >
                      > > > Looks like Malinda Adaline was his only child with Alabama.
                      > > >
                      > > > 1900 Wrights, Marshall Co. AL
                      > > > Presley Word Head Oct 1833 66 mar.5yrs AL TN TN
                      > > > Julia A. Wife Jan 1878 22 mar.5yrs no children AL AL AL
                      > > > Robt L. Beard Brother-in-Law Mar 1886 14 AL AL AL At School
                      > > >
                      > > > Though P.C. says their parents were born in TN, Wesley B. says

                    • Regina
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 27, 2006
                        Did you mean Fyffe? If you are doing research in that area the spelling
                        would matter. Guess this is how the census takers felt when they tried to
                        spell all our names and places we lived.
                        Regina

                        _____

                        The Rogers name has been an interest since I talked to a Bobby Owens in
                        Fife,
                        Al. He had said Lily Owens maiden name was Rogers and I had never been able

                        to figure out how she was a sister to Arthur and Mac if she was a Rogers.
                        This could be the key. Thank you so very much. All your help has been
                        greatly
                        appreciated.
                        Regards,
                        Jean Bowen

                        _____

                        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                        * Visit your group "jacksongenealogy
                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jacksongenealogy> " on the web.

                        <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                        _____

                      • lewatkins
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 27, 2006
                          I believe Fyffe is in DeKalb County, AL...
                          Mary
                          > Did you mean Fyffe? If you are doing research in that area the spelling
                          > would matter. Guess this is how the census takers felt when they tried to
                          > spell all our names and places we lived.
                          > Regina
                          >
                          > _____

                        • Joe&Janelle Burt
                          Message 12 of 19 , Mar 27, 2006
                            Thank you. I know he & Alabama are buried at Preston in Marshall Co. But
                            didn't know he was a minister.
                            JaNelle

                          • Joe&Janelle Burt
                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 27, 2006
                              Clay once more you are a jewel. My direct line is Wesley Word. I know PC
                              is buried at Preston in Marshall Co. Our brick wall is China and her
                              husband if any. I think she may have to come to Al with the Bosharts
                              from SC. Still trying to find out parents etc.
                              Thank you again.
                              JaNelle

                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 27, 2006
                                Thank you. Iappreciate any scrap of information I can get.
                                JaNelle

                              • Gullick99@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 28, 2006
                                  Clay,
                                  I just want to say again how very much I appreciate all the information. You
                                  have unlocked a door that I have tried to open for years. I now believe the
                                  4th child is Annie Irwin (husband Joseph M) living in Randolph, Al on the 1900
                                  census. I ha d all these tidbits of information I could not put together.
                                  Thank you again. You are truly amazing.
                                  Regards,
                                  Jean