FW: Re: [jacksongenealogy] Re: Records

  • kathy edwards
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 22, 2006
      Clay or anyone who knows.

      I know the court house was burned at some time.

      Where would I find land record, estate records, wills, letters of
      administration or posting of debt in Jackson Co. for early 1800's. Were any
      records left and are they stored at the Heritage Center or at the
      Courthouse? I am looking for anything on Champion Guinn and John Guinn.

      Thanks,
      Kathy
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 22, 2006
        Kathy

        The records are at the county courthouse.

        The following was posted by Ann Chambless some time ago.

        The Jackson County, Alabama records in the Probate Office include but are not
        limited to:

        1. Marriage records dating from 1851 throught current date.

        2. Wills and estate settlements from 1853 through current date. (NOTE: There are more estate settlements than actual Wills recorded in these ledgers.)

        3. Land deeds from late 1830 and 1831 throught current date (Deed Book 14 has been missing for a number of years). Also, there are several gaps of years in deeds recorded between 1830 and 1870. One train of thought is that the deeds had to be re-recorded after several deeds books were destroyed/lost during the Civil War.

        4. Original Jackson County land plat books.

        5. Old Probate Court Minutes.

        The original marriage bonds do not exist. According to an extant letter written by a Federal Soldier while stationed at Bellefonte during the Civil War, the original marriage bonds were burned by Federal troops during the Federal occupation of Bellefonte (the county seat of justiced until 1868..

        The only extant marriage records are the books wherein the country clerk recorded the marriage license. The record did not require the names of parents (except in the case of minors), therefore, there is no mention of parent or guardian in the marriage books. The name of the justice of the peace or minister who performed the marriage is normally listed as is the place. Occasionally a marriage record will read: "married at the home of the bride's father or married at the home of the bride". However, the name of the bride's father is NOT stated. In some rare instances when the bride or grooom (or both) were minors, there is an addendum which states who gave approval for the marriage or vouched for the age of the bride or groom who was underage.

        The document provided by the current Jackson County Probate Judge is simply a machine copy of what is recorded in the marriage book.

        Note from me. Having said all this Ann did find the inventory of my Greatgreatgrandfater John Gullatt b. ca 1772/77 VA d. abt Aug 1824 Jackson Co. AL in the state capital archives, so some very early records do exist just not in the courthouse. The inventory of my Greatgreatgrandmother Catharine Gullatt b. 1777 VA d. 1862 Bellefonte, Jackson Co. AL is in the probate court files.

        Originial land patents may be seen at the BLMGLO records web site. Copies of the original land patent may be downloaded at that site..

        Copies of various records are available from:
        Probate Judge Office
        Jackson County Courthouse
        PO Box 128, Scottsboro, AL 35768

        Phone No. 256-574-9290

        Cost is $2.00 per page and a SASE, payment to be included with the request.

        Some of our Group who live in Jackson County do lookups at the courthouse. If you need to hire someone to do reseach in Jackson County for you, Ann Chambless does paid research. Her email is rabc123@....

        Notes:
        1. While the Courthouse at Bellefonte was not been burned, I remember reading that little was left standing in Bellefonte following the War except fence posts.

        2. Jackson County was created Dec 1819. Jackson Co. at that time consisted of the land North and West of the TN River and East of the Madison Co. line and South of the TN state line. The area East of the TN River was not added until 1836 after the Treaty of New Eschota with the Cherokees 29 Dec 1835 was signed.

        3. The county records were removed from Bellefonte to Scottsboro, the new county seat, in Nov 1868.

        4. Marriage records from 1856 to 1859 are missing. Very few marriage records after 1900 are listed on the internet.

        Clay Gullatt
        Moderator
        Mount Airy NC

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 22, 2006
          Kathy

          Most of the early 1800 records for Champ/Champion Guinn are in TN.

          Champion Guin m. Doracs Williams 26 Dec 1787 Washington Co. TN

          Champ Gwinn 1798 Carter Co. TN

          Champion and John Gwinn are on the 1820 Lincoln Co. TN Census along with Salley Gwin, Daniel Gwinn, Isham Gwinn

          In 1830 Champion, John and Daniel are in Jackson Co. AL

        • Janie Ralls
          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 22, 2006
            If we call or write to the Probate Judge's Office, would they have an index of the surnames, such as Campbell?

          • kathy edwards
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 22, 2006
              Thank you very much.
              Kathy

> [...]
              >Chambless does paid research. Her email is rabc123@....
              >
              >Notes:
              >1. While the Courthouse at Bellefonte was not been burned, I remember
              >reading that little was left standing in Bellefonte following the War
              >except fence posts.
              >
              >2. Jackson County was created Dec 1819. Jackson Co. at that time consisted
              >of the land North and West of the TN River and East of the Madison Co. line
              >and South of the TN state line. The area East of the TN River was not added
              >until 1836 after the Treaty of New Eschota with the Cherokees 29 Dec 1835
              >was signed.
              >
              >3. The county records were removed from Bellefonte to Scottsboro, the new
              >county seat, in Nov 1868.
              >
              >4. Marriage records from 1856 to 1859 are missing. Very few marriage
              >records after 1900 are listed on the internet.

            • kathy edwards
              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 22, 2006
                The 1820 Lincoln Co., TN Champion seems to be a younger one. Maybe a
                Champion Jr.
                There also was a Champion who lived in or near Franklin Co., TN in 1838. I
                found some court records. I'm not sure which one this is, young Champ or
                the older. His name was Charles Champion or Champioin Charles I have
                forgotten. Thomas Williams was on these records also. And more.
                Thanks very much for the info.

                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 22, 2006
                  The Jackson Chronicles is published quarterly (Jan,Apr,Jul,Oct) by the Jackson County Historical Association.
                  Dues are $20.00 annually, senior citzens dues are 15.00.

                  address
                  Jackson County Historical Association
                  PO Box 1494
                  Scottsboro, AL 35768-1494

                  The Chronicles are well worth the price.