Re: [jacksongenealogy] Practical assistance

  • Tracy Lynn Wilson
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 6, 2000
      Top notch rooms...higher priced, but near restaraunts ,shopping, etc...
      Hampton Inn 256-259-4300
      Jameson Inn 256-574-6666
      Comfort Inn 256-574-6740

      Okay rooms...lower cost...
      Scottish Inn 256-574-1730

      Avoid...
      Days Inn
      Budget Inn

      Food places...
      China King (Chinese...my personal fav)
      Western Sizzlin' (Steak house)
      Shoney's
      Buenavista (Mexican)
      Crawdaddy Too (Seafood)
      all kinds of fast food places...

      Tracy Fossett Wilson
      Section, AL

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 6, 2000
        >I missed your question about dining. I am sure some of the local people on
        >this list can help you better with that question than I can. I went to
        >Western Sizzler and did not enjoy it but it may have been the time of day
        or
        >just a bad day. I won't down it for the one time. There is one place to eat
        >if you are in Section. I don't remember the name but my Uncle Johnny Neeley
        >took me there and the food was wonderful. It is just a small diner right in
        >the middle of the small town. I don't believe you can miss it. Once I
        >discovered the refrigerator and microwave in the room I really had no need
        >go out.

        That diner has closed. The last owners of the diner have opened a new one
        on HWY 35 in Section.

        Tracy Fossett Wilson
        Section, AL
      • Sandra Walters
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 7, 2000
          Hi,
          I live in Jackson county , in the Section area, I have at different times,
          stayed at a few of the M / Hotels there (time away from the kids), in my
          opinion, The Comfort Inn 256-574-6740 and The Hampton Inn 1-800-426-7866 or
          256-259-4300 are the best places to stay... My favorite being The Hampton, a
          little more expensive, but a lot nicer....Both can be found on Hwy. 72 in
          Scottsboro also known as John T Reid Pkwy.... If your visit is going to be
          after Oct 31, there will be a new Ruby Tuesdays to open up on that date...
          Also, there is a Western Sizzlin (not recommended) and a Shoney's within
          two - three minutes of the Hampton... Other restaurants on John T Reid are,
          Kentucky Fried Chicken, Taco Bell, Hardees, McDonalds, all to the left of
          the Hampton Inn, There is also a Big K-Mart in this direction. To the right
          of the Hampton, under the Hwy 35 overpass, there is a Blimpie Subs, Papa
          Johns Pizza, and Krystals (not recommended). Here you will also find a
          Wal-Mart Super Center and several other smaller stores in this shopping
          plaza.... While you are here.... A Must See place to visit is the
          Scottsboro - Jackson County Heritage Center located at 208 S. Houston St...
          256-259-2122 There is a $ 2.00 admission fee but well worth 6 - 8
          dollars.... Here you can also do research for free.....
          I hope this has given you some help in your decision to visit.....
          > Can anyone suggest a good hotel/motel near Scottsboro? Also, are there
          any
          > to avoid? I will be driving from upstate SC to visit the Courthouse and
          > area and I probably will be there several days. I have a AAA book, but
          > have found that personal recommendations are always better.
          >
          > Same question for dining.
          >
          > Many thanks,
          > Dennis Amos

        • Sandra Walters
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 7, 2000
            Hi Tracy,
            Just thought I would say hello to someone located in our quaint little rural
            town of Section...
            Sandie