Re: [jacksongenealogy] Re: Harper,Hicks, Gullatt, Kirby

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 19, 2006
      Frances

      I have been told that John Payne (d.1863)and Martha Patsy (Phillips) (d.1883/4) HARPERr are buried in Boxes Cove Cemetery. I don't think their graves are marked however.

      Manerva T. Gullatt m. Jeremiah Z. (Dock) HICKS 1891. Manerva d. 6-19-1915 and Jeremiah d. 11-18-1925 both buried at Pleasant Hill Cemetery on Sand Mountain as are Manerva's parents James M. and Malissa (Harper) GULLATT. Ask the Greatgrandson if he knows what the initial T. in Manerva's name stands for? James M. didn't give any middle names or initials in the bible. Which of their children does he descend from? I used the family bible spelling of her name not the census or her headstone, I can email a copy of it if he doesn't have one. I also have from the bible the birth dates for the John P. and Martha HARPER and their children's if he would like that.

      Boxes Cove is located on County Rd 145 across from Boxes Cove Methodist Church, turn left off Hwy 79 going toward Skyline at mile marker 99, the cemetery is on the left.

      I would asume that John and Martha HARPER are buried in the old part of the cemetery which contains many, many graves marked only with rocks, no names on them.

      I would be glad to get some pictures of the old part of the cemetery even if their graves aren't marked.

    • Bob Henshaw
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 30, 2014

        I don’t know anything about your family history but I do remember Chester Allen and the girls singing gospel music at Skyline and around Jackson County.  I always remember Chester because he could really play a guitar.

        My knowledge of them goes back to late 1950’s.  I think all of the girls went to Princeton to school after Skyline.

        Bob Henshaw

      • Larry Williams
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 30, 2014
          I have some Allens on my ancestry site if it will help and if you have access to it but no Chester. What was his full name? My relationship to the Allen family was through marriage into the Rice family.
          Larry Williams

          --
          Larry G. Williams
          Director, Agrimissions