jacksongenealogy

  • jimmiefaye1
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 18, 2006
      I have recently joined this group and do not have a clue just where to
      start. I wanted to research the Steele/Justice side of the family but
      when I was reading some of the postings I noticed several of the names
      mentioned was my family on my mom's side.The Miller-Romans family was
      my mom's family.Any info on how to get started on my search would be
      greatly appreciated.I am totally lost as where to begin.
      Thanks Alot,Jimmie Faye
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 18, 2006
        When first posting about your families just post what you know. Start with your grandparents then your great-grandparents if known then as back as far as you can or you can post your tree. Give Who, When, What Event, Where. First and last name, year born, year married, year died, where buried, etc Don't however post the acutal birth dates of living persons.

        It helps if you use caps for last names on the subject line and when changing subject always change the subject line. You can also list all you surnames in caps after your name at the end of you post.

        If you need census data, marriage or death lookups there is always one of us in the group that will do them for you.

        We ask that you stick to genealogy and history, no discussion of politics or religion.

        While the group is about the genealogy and history of Jackson County if your relatives were in another county, state or country you can post that also.

        At times we have also discussed the social conditions of the people of Jackson County, there are some great posts in the archives on the way people lived in Jackson County in that period from the end of the WBTS and WW2 and the proverty that existed then.

        Clay Gullatt
        Moderator
        Mount Airy NC

        GULLATT/GULLETT, HARPER, PHILLIPS, BOONE,AIRHEART/AIRHART, THOMPSON, PEGUES, GANT/GAUNT, KIRBY, HICKS, THORP, CUNNINGHAM, CLARK/CLARKE, CRAVENS, POE, THRIFT, HAMILTON, HUGULEY

      • Roy Chadwick
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 18, 2006
          Hi Clay,
          Did your Poe line live in Warren/Marion/Grundy Co TN in the 1800's?
          I have the name in my Langford/Lankford line from that area.
          Thanks,
          Roy aka shadrach.

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 18, 2006
            Roy

            The Poe is a side branch. Virginia I. (Belle) Poe married my Great-greatuncle Charles Houston Gullatt in 1880 they moved to TX.

          • frances_lambert2000
            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 19, 2006
              Clay do you have any info on where the Harpers are buried other than
              the head of boxes cove? I have been told that there is a cemetery in
              the woods close to Pace cemetery. I'm planing to see if I can find
              it And see if this is where they are buried. Jerermiah Hicks
              greatgrandson and his wife are going to go with me. If we find it I
              will take some pictures .
              Frances

              --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, clay gullatt

            • altafae@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 19, 2006
                In a message dated 2/18/2006 2:18:03 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                jimmiefaye1@... writes:

                Jimmie Faye

                Get a proper software to hold your information, LDS Church software (PDF5)
                is very good for free, another is FTW (Family Tree Maker) which uses
                Ancestry.com where you can get a subscription to things like census data, world
                connect files, and other research material.

                I started with a name, Sally Brown (my grandmother), and now 20,100 people
                later you have your family. Good Luck, and this group will be glad to help in
                what way we can. We just need dates, places, and the group of individuals
                you are searching for.

                Jimmie John

                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 19, 2006
                  Frances

                  I have been told that John Payne (d.1863)and Martha Patsy (Phillips) (d.1883/4) HARPERr are buried in Boxes Cove Cemetery. I don't think their graves are marked however.

                  Manerva T. Gullatt m. Jeremiah Z. (Dock) HICKS 1891. Manerva d. 6-19-1915 and Jeremiah d. 11-18-1925 both buried at Pleasant Hill Cemetery on Sand Mountain as are Manerva's parents James M. and Malissa (Harper) GULLATT. Ask the Greatgrandson if he knows what the initial T. in Manerva's name stands for? James M. didn't give any middle names or initials in the bible. Which of their children does he descend from? I used the family bible spelling of her name not the census or her headstone, I can email a copy of it if he doesn't have one. I also have from the bible the birth dates for the John P. and Martha HARPER and their children's if he would like that.

                  Boxes Cove is located on County Rd 145 across from Boxes Cove Methodist Church, turn left off Hwy 79 going toward Skyline at mile marker 99, the cemetery is on the left.

                  I would asume that John and Martha HARPER are buried in the old part of the cemetery which contains many, many graves marked only with rocks, no names on them.

                  I would be glad to get some pictures of the old part of the cemetery even if their graves aren't marked.

                • Bob Henshaw
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 30, 2014

                    I don’t know anything about your family history but I do remember Chester Allen and the girls singing gospel music at Skyline and around Jackson County.  I always remember Chester because he could really play a guitar.

                    My knowledge of them goes back to late 1950’s.  I think all of the girls went to Princeton to school after Skyline.

                    Bob Henshaw

                  • Larry Williams
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 30, 2014
                      I have some Allens on my ancestry site if it will help and if you have access to it but no Chester. What was his full name? My relationship to the Allen family was through marriage into the Rice family.
                      Larry Williams

                      --
                      Larry G. Williams
                      Director, Agrimissions