Practical assistance

  • Dennis R Amos
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 6, 2000
      Can anyone suggest a good hotel/motel near Scottsboro? Also, are there any
      to avoid? I will be driving from upstate SC to visit the Courthouse and
      area and I probably will be there several days. I have a AAA book, but
      have found that personal recommendations are always better.

      Same question for dining.

      Many thanks,
      Dennis Amos
    • gubasemia@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 6, 2000
        Hi Dennis,

        I spent almost a week in Scottsboro, Section and other areas of Jackson
        County, a year ago this month. I stayed at the Hampton Inn in the area of
        Highways 35 and 72. I have nothing bad to say about this one and would stay
        there again. If you are going to stay for a few days, they have a microwave,
        refrigerator, iron and ironing board. It was very clean and the people were
        super nice. I can't speak for any others. The phone number is 256-259-4300
        although they may also have a toll free number.
        Hope you enjoy your stay as much as I did.

        Darlene
        in Texas
      • gubasemia@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 6, 2000
          Dennis,

          I missed your question about dining. I am sure some of the local people on
          this list can help you better with that question than I can. I went to
          Western Sizzler and did not enjoy it but it may have been the time of day or
          just a bad day. I won't down it for the one time. There is one place to eat
          if you are in Section. I don't remember the name but my Uncle Johnny Neeley
          took me there and the food was wonderful. It is just a small diner right in
          the middle of the small town. I don't believe you can miss it. Once I
          discovered the refrigerator and microwave in the room I really had no need to
          go out.

          Enjoy your trip,
          Darlene
        • Tracy Lynn Wilson
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 6, 2000
            Top notch rooms...higher priced, but near restaraunts ,shopping, etc...
            Hampton Inn 256-259-4300
            Jameson Inn 256-574-6666
            Comfort Inn 256-574-6740

            Okay rooms...lower cost...
            Scottish Inn 256-574-1730

            Avoid...
            Days Inn
            Budget Inn

            Food places...
            China King (Chinese...my personal fav)
            Western Sizzlin' (Steak house)
            Shoney's
            Buenavista (Mexican)
            Crawdaddy Too (Seafood)
            all kinds of fast food places...

            Tracy Fossett Wilson
            Section, AL

            >Can anyone suggest a good hotel/motel near Scottsboro? Also, are there any
            >to avoid? I will be driving from upstate SC to visit the Courthouse and
            >area and I probably will be there several days. I have a AAA book, but
            >have found that personal recommendations are always better.
            >
            >Same question for dining.
            >
            >Many thanks,
            >Dennis Amos

          • Tracy Lynn Wilson
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 6, 2000
              >I missed your question about dining. I am sure some of the local people on
              >this list can help you better with that question than I can. I went to
              >Western Sizzler and did not enjoy it but it may have been the time of day
              or
              >just a bad day. I won't down it for the one time. There is one place to eat
              >if you are in Section. I don't remember the name but my Uncle Johnny Neeley
              >took me there and the food was wonderful. It is just a small diner right in
              >the middle of the small town. I don't believe you can miss it. Once I
              >discovered the refrigerator and microwave in the room I really had no need
              >go out.

              That diner has closed. The last owners of the diner have opened a new one
              on HWY 35 in Section.

              Tracy Fossett Wilson
              Section, AL
            • Sandra Walters
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 7, 2000
                Hi,
                I live in Jackson county , in the Section area, I have at different times,
                stayed at a few of the M / Hotels there (time away from the kids), in my
                opinion, The Comfort Inn 256-574-6740 and The Hampton Inn 1-800-426-7866 or
                256-259-4300 are the best places to stay... My favorite being The Hampton, a
                little more expensive, but a lot nicer....Both can be found on Hwy. 72 in
                Scottsboro also known as John T Reid Pkwy.... If your visit is going to be
                after Oct 31, there will be a new Ruby Tuesdays to open up on that date...
                Also, there is a Western Sizzlin (not recommended) and a Shoney's within
                two - three minutes of the Hampton... Other restaurants on John T Reid are,
                Kentucky Fried Chicken, Taco Bell, Hardees, McDonalds, all to the left of
                the Hampton Inn, There is also a Big K-Mart in this direction. To the right
                of the Hampton, under the Hwy 35 overpass, there is a Blimpie Subs, Papa
                Johns Pizza, and Krystals (not recommended). Here you will also find a
                Wal-Mart Super Center and several other smaller stores in this shopping
                plaza.... While you are here.... A Must See place to visit is the
                Scottsboro - Jackson County Heritage Center located at 208 S. Houston St...
                256-259-2122 There is a $ 2.00 admission fee but well worth 6 - 8
                dollars.... Here you can also do research for free.....
                I hope this has given you some help in your decision to visit.....
                > Can anyone suggest a good hotel/motel near Scottsboro? Also, are there
                any
                > to avoid? I will be driving from upstate SC to visit the Courthouse and
                > area and I probably will be there several days. I have a AAA book, but
                > have found that personal recommendations are always better.
                >
                > Same question for dining.
                >
                > Many thanks,
                > Dennis Amos

              • Sandra Walters
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 7, 2000
                  Hi Tracy,
                  Just thought I would say hello to someone located in our quaint little rural
                  town of Section...
                  Sandie