Re: [jacksongenealogy] Morrow-Stephens-Padgett families

  • Malbuff
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 7, 2005
      Quick scan of the census for ya...

      Well, Nicholas Stephens is in the 1850 census, in Marshall county, not
      Jackson. He is 44 years old. His wife is Mary. Children
      are Henry 18, John 15, Jesse 13, Margaret 11, Willis 8, Mary 6, James 4, and
      Elizabeth 2. Same census has another Willis Stephens, 20, living next door
      in the home of one John Stacy.

      Going back 10 years we find Nicholas in Marshall county also. 5 young
      children plus self and wife. Ages generally add up
      (Nicholas is between 30-40 in 1840, so could have been 44 in 1850).

      Before 1840 all the Nicholas Stephens are yankees. None south of Pa. 1840
      and earlier they only named head of household,
      everyone else was just a number.

      Earliest Willis Stephens is 1830 in Georgia. Born about 1780-1790.

      OK, some marriage records. You may already have these. Willis Stephens
      married Cynthia Walker, May 24, 1819, in Madison county, Ala. Then we have
      Willis Stephens married Elizabeth Tate, Dec 8 1840 in Limestone county, Ala.
      A different Willis the
      second time, based on what you've noted below. And a third Willis, Willis
      B., married Sophie Knight Jan. 3, 1893 in Jackson
      county.

      All the early records for Gabriel Stephens reference Kentucky or Missouri.
      He is probably a descendant of the famous
      Peter Stephens, the German immigrant who helped settle the Shenandoah Valley
      of Virginia. (This is where I live today,
      though Peter Stephens is a distant relative at best.) Can't say whether
      this is relevant to your people. Not too many went to
      Alabama from Missouri, though. Most Alabama pioneers and settlers came from
      east (Va., Tenn., Carolinas, Ga.) .

      Now, substituting 'Stevens' for Stephens gives no help at all. No relevant
      records.

      So, I am sorry, but so far I can't find any good early references for
      Gabriel or Willis Stephens in Alabama. But there are many
      more records out there. This research was done on ancestry.com, they are the
      best in my opinion. You need to be
      subscribed to one of these services if you are going to do a lot of
      genealogy stuff.

      Glory to God,

      David Malbuff
      Strasburg, Virginia