Re: [jacksongenealogy] Morrow-Stephens-Padgett families

  • walddo2u@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 4, 2005
      Pat, Which Stephens-Morrow-Padgett families are you researching? I have
      Stephens and Morrow from Jackson-Marshall counties and may be able to help a
      little on those. Evelyn

    • Pat Loper
      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 4, 2005
        Evelyn

        My grandmother was the oldest child of James Polk Morrow and Elizabeth Ann
        Stephens daughter to Nicholas and Mary ?.
        Pat
        > Pat, Which Stephens-Morrow-Padgett families are you researching? I have
        > Stephens and Morrow from Jackson-Marshall counties and may be able to help
        > little on those. Evelyn

      • Pat Loper
        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 4, 2005
          My grandmother was the oldest daughter to James Polk and Elizabeth Ann
          Stephens Morrow.

          Pat

        • walddo2u@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 4, 2005
            Well Hello Cousin Pat.!! My gr grandfather was James Nicholas Stephens b.
            1845, s/o Nicholas and Mary Stephens, James married Elizabeth Delaney (sometimes
            spelled Dulaney) in Jackson Co. Ala, and they moved to Ark,by 1880, where
            James died a yr or so later. Elizabeth's sister Lydia Caroline Delaney married
            James brother Jesse Stephens.
            I'm always happy to find more cousins, and be glad to help anyway I
            can--Evelyn

          • Malbuff
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 6, 2005
              Evelyn, from what Stephens line do you trace your ancestors? I too have
              Stephens from
              Jackson county, same time frame, but I don't recognize your names. Let me
              know, I have
              lots of information on Stephens.

              Glory to God,

              David Malbuff
              Strasburg, Virginia

              > Well Hello Cousin Pat.!! My gr grandfather was James Nicholas Stephens b.
              > 1845, s/o Nicholas and Mary Stephens, James married Elizabeth Delaney
              (sometimes
              > spelled Dulaney) in Jackson Co. Ala, and they moved to Ark,by 1880, where
              > James died a yr or so later. Elizabeth's sister Lydia Caroline Delaney
              married
              > James brother Jesse Stephens.
              > I'm always happy to find more cousins, and be glad to help anyway I
              > can--Evelyn

            • Malbuff

                > Well Hello Cousin Pat.!! My gr grandfather was James Nicholas Stephens b.
                > 1845, s/o Nicholas and Mary Stephens, James married Elizabeth Delaney
                (sometimes
                > spelled Dulaney) in Jackson Co. Ala, and they moved to Ark,by 1880, where
                > James died a yr or so later. Elizabeth's sister Lydia Caroline Delaney
                married
                > James brother Jesse Stephens.
                > I'm always happy to find more cousins, and be glad to help anyway I
                > can--Evelyn

              • Pat Loper
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 6, 2005
                  Hi Evelyn. How wonderful to find more cousins.My grandparents James and
                  Lydia (Morrow) Padgett came through Arkansas in the late 1890's. They ended
                  their trek in North Central Texas. Many of the Stephens Family came to
                  Texas so I am told. I do not have a lot of info on them as I have pretty
                  well concentrated on the Morrow -Padgett line.This is my mother's side but I
                  also have a Delaney connection on my dad's side although they came from
                  Georgia to Louisiana. I would like to email you direct if you like. Pat

                • walddo2u@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 6, 2005
                    David, My line comes from Williis Stephens and Dicy (unknown maiden name) to
                    son Nicholas Stephens 1808/Mary (unknown maiden name) to James Nicholas
                    Stephens 1845/Elizabeth Delaney. (some have him listed as Nicholas James Stephens)
                    Nicholas Sr/Mary had 12 children,
                    1-Henry m Malissa Morrow
                    2-John W. m Lucinda Elizabeth White
                    3--Jesse S. m Lydia Caroline Delaney (Eilzabeth's sister)
                    4--Margaret m 1857 George Thomas Morrow
                    5--Williis Commodore m Cynthia Stephens
                    6--Mary "Polly" m Willis Monroe Evans
                    7--*James Nicholas m Elizabeth Delaney
                    8--Elizabeth m James Polk Morrow
                    9--Dicy P. -m 1871 George Thomas Morrow (after her sister Margaret died
                    10--William R.
                    11--George Franklin m Bersheba Webster
                    12--King David
                    I have more info on these Stephens, but don't have it in my base yet, and
                    some were married more than once. What is your Stephens lineage? Evelyn

                  • walddo2u@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 6, 2005
                      Pat, It's always great to find new cousins, I think some of our bunch went to
                      Red River Co. Tx. at least Willis Commodore did, after Cynthia died. Feel
                      free to e-mail me anytime,
                      I've never been able to find much on the Delaney side, except Elizabeth's
                      father was William b.abt 1815 Tn, and her Mother was Nancy Maples, which was a
                      very large Jackson/Marshall Co. family. I think most of my Delaney's stayed in
                      Jackson Co. area.except Paulina Delaney who married Benjamin "Mack? Campbell
                      and moved to Tishomingo Co.Ms. and my gr grandma Elizabeth Delaney Stephens
                      who went to Ark. hopefully we can fill in a few blanks for each other.--Evelyn

                    • Malbuff
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 7, 2005
                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 7, 2005
                          David, the earliest Stephens info I have is Ephriam Stephens, poss born in
                          Scotland, and died in Scotland, his son Garbiel Stephens b. Scotland?, died in
                          Muscle Shoals Ala at age 75, he supposedly lived in SC. I have no dates for
                          either of these, the names came from a Stephens Bible record, the only real info
                          I have starts with Gabriel's son Willis, he lived at Lem Rock Hollow, his 1st
                          wife Dicy died at abt age 35, they had two known children, Nicholas b. 1808
                          Ala., and Henry b. 1813 Ala., and (Willis Jr. b. 1824 Ala,by 3rd wife) so I'm
                          sure there were more children between these gaps-2nd marriage was to Catherine,
                          a Cherokee Indian, no children, and 3rd to Cynthia Walker, married 1819, who
                          he had 4 known childen by. I have never been able to find a "Gabriel"
                          Stephen's, and am wondering if the family knew him as Gabriel, and public records may
                          of had a different name? My grandfather Thomas Jefferson Stephens was b. in
                          Larkinsville Ala. in 1879.
                          By the early records we know this Stephens line was in Ala pretty early,
                          Willis Sr. owned some Indian Reservation land, from his marriage to Catherine.,
                          which was in Court for abt 30 yrs, before being settled. Our Stephens very
                          well could be connected somewhere along the line, I just don't have enough early
                          data on Gabriel and father Ephriam Stephens. They are my brick walls. If I run
                          across anything that might tie in I will post for you, hope we can find a
                          connection.--Evelyn

                        • Malbuff
                          Message 12 of 12 , Dec 7, 2005
                            Quick scan of the census for ya...

                            Well, Nicholas Stephens is in the 1850 census, in Marshall county, not
                            Jackson. He is 44 years old. His wife is Mary. Children
                            are Henry 18, John 15, Jesse 13, Margaret 11, Willis 8, Mary 6, James 4, and
                            Elizabeth 2. Same census has another Willis Stephens, 20, living next door
                            in the home of one John Stacy.

                            Going back 10 years we find Nicholas in Marshall county also. 5 young
                            children plus self and wife. Ages generally add up
                            (Nicholas is between 30-40 in 1840, so could have been 44 in 1850).

                            Before 1840 all the Nicholas Stephens are yankees. None south of Pa. 1840
                            and earlier they only named head of household,
                            everyone else was just a number.

                            Earliest Willis Stephens is 1830 in Georgia. Born about 1780-1790.

                            OK, some marriage records. You may already have these. Willis Stephens
                            married Cynthia Walker, May 24, 1819, in Madison county, Ala. Then we have
                            Willis Stephens married Elizabeth Tate, Dec 8 1840 in Limestone county, Ala.
                            A different Willis the
                            second time, based on what you've noted below. And a third Willis, Willis
                            B., married Sophie Knight Jan. 3, 1893 in Jackson
                            county.

                            All the early records for Gabriel Stephens reference Kentucky or Missouri.
                            He is probably a descendant of the famous
                            Peter Stephens, the German immigrant who helped settle the Shenandoah Valley
                            of Virginia. (This is where I live today,
                            though Peter Stephens is a distant relative at best.) Can't say whether
                            this is relevant to your people. Not too many went to
                            Alabama from Missouri, though. Most Alabama pioneers and settlers came from
                            east (Va., Tenn., Carolinas, Ga.) .

                            Now, substituting 'Stevens' for Stephens gives no help at all. No relevant
                            records.

                            So, I am sorry, but so far I can't find any good early references for
                            Gabriel or Willis Stephens in Alabama. But there are many
                            more records out there. This research was done on ancestry.com, they are the
                            best in my opinion. You need to be
                            subscribed to one of these services if you are going to do a lot of
                            genealogy stuff.

                            Glory to God,

                            David Malbuff
                            Strasburg, Virginia