Re: [jacksongenealogy] Request for help from a list member posted

  • DrKirbyWW2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 9, 2005
      I too got the red X s and when I clicked on them I was invited to join
      Google by password. Huh?
      Jim

      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 9, 2005
        Richard

        You posted the pictures using GMail (Google) account which
        is in beta testing very few people have it. Clicking on
        the pictures takes me to my Google books account but can
        not open the pictures without a GMail account which only
        68,000 people have.

        Clay
      • Mary Winn
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 12, 2005
          Richard and group--what kind of bushes are those to the right of picture 1?
          To this Florida girl they look like some sort of palm trees, although this
          is definitely not a Florida style house which always has porches around to
          filter the heat. I tried to down load this first picture so I could enlarge
          portions of it. The second man from left looks familiar and I was going to
          try to enlarge his portion. will keep trying.
          Regards,
          Mary Winn Anderson
          researching: Horatio Anderson and descendants; Calvin T. Morris and
          descendants .

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 12, 2005
            What a great house! Are the plants by any chance yucca plants?
            Barbara Dooley

            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 12, 2005
              Mary

              The plant in the yard is a yucca.

              The log house is built in a two pen style with dog trot.
              The clapboard addition above the dog trot looks to have
              been added later. The kitchen would be on one side away
              from the living quarters. From the style of the clothes
              worn the photos are probably form 1890-1905 era.

              The other old log house Richard posted some time ago also
              did not have a porch either, by the way that photo was
              taken ca 1940.

              For those who are not old farm boys the man in the 2nd
              photo is using a scythe with cradle to harvest wheat which
              is then bundled and stood upright in shocks to finish
              drying.

              Notice in the photo of Aunt Mamie that there is no grass in
              the yard but rather just sand or dirt. Most country yards
              in the South of this era had no grass but were sand or dirt
              swept clean with brush brooms. Two many critters about to
              hid in the grass.