Re: [jacksongenealogy] Request for help from a list member posted

  • Cynthia Pugliese
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 9, 2005
      Richard,

      I visited the website, clicked on the link, but the pictures were not visible. I don't know if this was just my computer or in general. All you can see is little boxes with a red "X" in them.
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 9, 2005
        I too got the red X s and when I clicked on them I was invited to join
        Google by password. Huh?
        Jim

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 9, 2005
          Richard

          You posted the pictures using GMail (Google) account which
          is in beta testing very few people have it. Clicking on
          the pictures takes me to my Google books account but can
          not open the pictures without a GMail account which only
          68,000 people have.

          Clay
        • Mary Winn
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 12, 2005
            Richard and group--what kind of bushes are those to the right of picture 1?
            To this Florida girl they look like some sort of palm trees, although this
            is definitely not a Florida style house which always has porches around to
            filter the heat. I tried to down load this first picture so I could enlarge
            portions of it. The second man from left looks familiar and I was going to
            try to enlarge his portion. will keep trying.
            Regards,
            Mary Winn Anderson
            researching: Horatio Anderson and descendants; Calvin T. Morris and
            descendants .

            > the page for a help request link. Help is needed in identification of some
            > old photos.*
            > *Thanks for your help.*
            > **
            > *Richard, list coord*

          • James and Barbara Dooley
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 12, 2005
              What a great house! Are the plants by any chance yucca plants?
              Barbara Dooley

              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 12, 2005
                Mary

                The plant in the yard is a yucca.

                The log house is built in a two pen style with dog trot.
                The clapboard addition above the dog trot looks to have
                been added later. The kitchen would be on one side away
                from the living quarters. From the style of the clothes
                worn the photos are probably form 1890-1905 era.

                The other old log house Richard posted some time ago also
                did not have a porch either, by the way that photo was
                taken ca 1940.

                For those who are not old farm boys the man in the 2nd
                photo is using a scythe with cradle to harvest wheat which
                is then bundled and stood upright in shocks to finish
                drying.

                Notice in the photo of Aunt Mamie that there is no grass in
                the yard but rather just sand or dirt. Most country yards
                in the South of this era had no grass but were sand or dirt
                swept clean with brush brooms. Two many critters about to
                hid in the grass.