Request for help from a list member posted

  • Richard Matthews
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 9, 2005
      Please go to *http://www.rootsweb.com/~aljackso/ and look at the bottom of
      the page for a help request link. Help is needed in identification of some
      old photos.*
      *Thanks for your help.*
      **
      *Richard, list coord*

    • Cynthia Pugliese
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 9, 2005
        Richard,

        I visited the website, clicked on the link, but the pictures were not visible. I don't know if this was just my computer or in general. All you can see is little boxes with a red "X" in them.

        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 9, 2005
          I too got the red X s and when I clicked on them I was invited to join
          Google by password. Huh?
          Jim

          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 9, 2005
            Richard

            You posted the pictures using GMail (Google) account which
            is in beta testing very few people have it. Clicking on
            the pictures takes me to my Google books account but can
            not open the pictures without a GMail account which only
            68,000 people have.

            Clay
          • Mary Winn
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 12, 2005
              Richard and group--what kind of bushes are those to the right of picture 1?
              To this Florida girl they look like some sort of palm trees, although this
              is definitely not a Florida style house which always has porches around to
              filter the heat. I tried to down load this first picture so I could enlarge
              portions of it. The second man from left looks familiar and I was going to
              try to enlarge his portion. will keep trying.
              Regards,
              Mary Winn Anderson
              researching: Horatio Anderson and descendants; Calvin T. Morris and
              descendants .

              > the page for a help request link. Help is needed in identification of some
              > old photos.*
              > *Thanks for your help.*
              > **
              > *Richard, list coord*

            • James and Barbara Dooley
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 12, 2005
                What a great house! Are the plants by any chance yucca plants?
                Barbara Dooley

                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 12, 2005
                  Mary

                  The plant in the yard is a yucca.

                  The log house is built in a two pen style with dog trot.
                  The clapboard addition above the dog trot looks to have
                  been added later. The kitchen would be on one side away
                  from the living quarters. From the style of the clothes
                  worn the photos are probably form 1890-1905 era.

                  The other old log house Richard posted some time ago also
                  did not have a porch either, by the way that photo was
                  taken ca 1940.

                  For those who are not old farm boys the man in the 2nd
                  photo is using a scythe with cradle to harvest wheat which
                  is then bundled and stood upright in shocks to finish
                  drying.

                  Notice in the photo of Aunt Mamie that there is no grass in
                  the yard but rather just sand or dirt. Most country yards
                  in the South of this era had no grass but were sand or dirt
                  swept clean with brush brooms. Two many critters about to
                  hid in the grass.