Re: Keith and Carr families from Jackson County

  • harold_m21
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 8, 2005
      --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "robert_s_63134"
      <robert_s_63134@y...> wrote:

      > There might be someone out there who is interested in the Keith
      > family which was in Jackson County at least from the 1820s on.
      I've
      > been working on this family lately after learning of many
      > connections, not least of which was consistent physical proximity,
      > between the two families, going all the way into Pope County, IL.
      > Here's a little of what I've learned.
      >
      > I think I've nearly cornered the Carr family in old
      > Pendleton District, SC. As I traced the Keiths, I found out they
      > could definitely be located in Pendleton, SC prior to their being
      > in Jackson County. Also, the Keiths seem to have been in Franklin
      > County, TN and a number of counties in Georgia. They appear to
      have
      > been speculating in Cherokee cession lands throughout the region.
      > actually found a land transfer record between Cornelious Keith and
      > George and Judith Carr in old Pendleton District, SC. This George
      > Carr I learned ended up in Franklin County, TN.
      >
      > I also found out that both families seemed to be close
      > to a family named Holder. The Holders were in
      > Pendleton, also in Franklin County, TN and Jackson
      > County, AL. I'm starting to look into this family
      > because their moves seemed to parallel the Keiths and
      > Carrs up to the move to Pope.
      >
      > Finally, if Rich Edwards is out there, I have a question. If you
      > check the 1850 Jackson County census, you'll find the Edwards
      > family, Hugh Carr and William Holder family all within a few
      > households of one another. Does the Edwards family have any
      > connections with the Holders? If so, the Carr, Keith, Edwards,
      and
      > Holder families might have closer connections than we realized and
      > might go farther back.
      >
      > Thanks for any response!
      >
      > Robert Schneider
      > Berkeley MO 63134

      Some of the Keiths and Carrs wound up in nearby DeKalb County.

      Cornelius Keith, Sr. was in Brunswick County, Virginia area in the
      1720s. The ruin of a log cabin said to be his are still to be found
      in adjoining Mecklenburg County, Virginia. Colonel William Byrd
      visited him in the 1720s and observed "you would have to be as poor
      as he is to be as happy as he is."

      A Cornelius Keith was in Henry County, Virginia and was on the 1778
      tax list there. This area is now Carroll County, Virginia. A Thomas
      Carr was involved in a land transaction there on land formerly
      belonging to Cornelius Keith, Jr.

      A Cornelius Keith is said to be an original pioneer of Oolenoy
      Settlement started about 1743. Cornelius Keith died there in 1808
      and is buried in the Oolenoy Baptist Church cemetery in what is now
      Pumpkintown, Pickens County, South Carolina. His monument says he
      was born in Loch Lomond, Scotland in 1715 and died 1818.

      There is a real possibility of two, or more, Cornelilus Keiths in
      Virginia and North Carolina in the 1700s leading to confusion over
      which is which.

      In any event, Duncan Keith, descended from one of the Cornelius
      Keiths moved from Pickens County, SC in 1835 travelling across
      Northwest Georgia and Southeast Tennessee and into DeKalb County,
      Alabama where they settled in what was to become the White Hall
      Community (named for a companion traveling family).

      Later, Maxwells who descended from these Keiths married Carrs in
      DeKalb County.
    • robert_s_63134
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 9, 2005
        Hi!

        Many thanks for this response!

        I'm glad you believe there might have been multiple Cornelius
        Keiths. I've had that suspicion but since I'm so new to the family,
        I've hesitated to suggest it to anybody.

        Also, I've come to the conclusion that the George Keith living next
        door to my 4th gr grandfather (John Carr) in 1830 Jackson County,
        was not the George W. Keith found in the 1850 Jackson County census
        nor the one who moved to Pope County, IL. The George Keith present
        in 1830 Jackson County was 70 to 80, so was his wife. In 1840, this
        man was still present in Jackson County, 80 to 90. By 1850 he had
        disappeared or died. I suspect that the George W. I'm interested in
        was a son. As of yet, no proof.

        I'm hoping sometime soon I can make the direct connection between my
        John Carr and the Carrs who had dealings with this Keith family from
        Pendleton, SC, Jackson County, AL, and Franklin County, TN. I'm
        getting very good leads from people like you and I appreciate it!

        Just for the info of those on the mailing list, there is a George
        and wife Judith Carr who sold land to Cornelious Keith in Pendleton
        District, SC in 1803. A descendant of this George Carr contacted me
        to let me know that George ultimately moved into Franklin County,
        TN. He can be found there in 1820. He died there in the 1820s. I
        suspect that my John Carr is related to him.

      • Vrgfdonna@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 12, 2005
          Robert or any other CARR researcher:

          Has anyone found an Andrew HUNTER and Sarah CARR (married couple) in the
          Jackson Co. and Franklin or Lincoln Co., Tn. area? If so, are they the parents
          of James HUNTER?

          Thanks,
          Velma