RE: [jacksongenealogy] Roberts Family of Jackson County

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 5, 2005
      Drury Roberts married Rebecca Mallock (Matlock) in Madison Co. Alabama on 28
      June 1818. Drury is found on the 1830/1840 & 1850 Jackson Co. Alabama
      Census. If I recall correctly, Drury is the only Roberts listed in Jacskson
      Co. in 1830, but numerous Roberts appear in 1840 & 1850. According to
      other researchers, his wife, Rebecca, was a Matlock. One of Rebecca and
      Drury's sons was John Matlock Roberts who died between 1850 & 1854. This
      would explain John not showing on the census after 1850. Based on their
      ages, Rebecca and Zach Matlock could have been siblings, or maybe cousins.
      James Berry's 1st son was named John M. Roberts (1868-1900). Unfortunately,
      John died in 1900 and I have no information on his exact middle name. Based
      on this information it would "appear" that there is a relationship between
      the Matlock and Roberts families in Jackson County. Both families appear to
      have connections to Tennessee.

      I have looked at Matlock Roberts for a possible connection to our line.
      However, I was not able to make a connection. Is this the same Matlock
      Roberts that appears on the 1830 census in Lincoln Co. Tennessee?

      Thanks for sharing!

      Chris

      <http://www.whitelilycandles.com/croberts>

      <http://www.whitelilycandles.com/croberts>