RE: [jacksongenealogy] Roberts Family of Jackson County

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 5, 2005
      Velma, I have often wondered the same thing. Interestingly, the naming
      tradition has continued through the generations. I believe that James Berry
      Roberts is the son of John Roberts and Elizabeth (?). It is possible that
      Elizabeth was a Matlock, but I have no proof of Elizabeth's maiden name.
      John Roberts is last found on the 1850 census in Jackson Co. James Berry is
      found on the 1860 census residing in the household of Zach Matlock. Thanks,
      Chris

      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 5, 2005
        I have two Roberts connections, one was Matlock Roberts,b. abt 1810
        Cumberland Co. Ky.m Zilpha Bain? who lived in Smith/Dekalb Co. Tn., his son Washington
        Roberts married Mary Ann Parker, The other Roberts lived in Tuscaloosa Co.
        Ala, several of these Roberts married Nelms, and some of this line moved to Ms. I
        don't fine "Matlock" to be a real common name, so am wondering if there may
        be some connection.? Thanks--Evelyn

      • Chris
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 5, 2005
          Drury Roberts married Rebecca Mallock (Matlock) in Madison Co. Alabama on 28
          June 1818. Drury is found on the 1830/1840 & 1850 Jackson Co. Alabama
          Census. If I recall correctly, Drury is the only Roberts listed in Jacskson
          Co. in 1830, but numerous Roberts appear in 1840 & 1850. According to
          other researchers, his wife, Rebecca, was a Matlock. One of Rebecca and
          Drury's sons was John Matlock Roberts who died between 1850 & 1854. This
          would explain John not showing on the census after 1850. Based on their
          ages, Rebecca and Zach Matlock could have been siblings, or maybe cousins.
          James Berry's 1st son was named John M. Roberts (1868-1900). Unfortunately,
          John died in 1900 and I have no information on his exact middle name. Based
          on this information it would "appear" that there is a relationship between
          the Matlock and Roberts families in Jackson County. Both families appear to
          have connections to Tennessee.

          I have looked at Matlock Roberts for a possible connection to our line.
          However, I was not able to make a connection. Is this the same Matlock
          Roberts that appears on the 1830 census in Lincoln Co. Tennessee?

          Thanks for sharing!

          Chris

          <http://www.whitelilycandles.com/croberts>

          _____