Roberts Family of Jackson County

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 5, 2005
      We (my husband and I) are participating in a Roberts DNA project, hoping to
      find a genealogical match and to further understand his deep ancestral
      roots. Ultimately, I would like to verify that my James Berry Roberts
      descends from Drury Roberts b. 1790 in Tennessee. Drury was an early
      settler in Jackson County and I would surmise that some of the Roberts
      families in Jackson County are his descendents. I am not the project
      manager of the Roberts project, but we have submitted my husbands DNA. I
      would love to see other Roberts descendents from the area test.

      If have a Roberts ancestor from Jackson County and are a direct male
      descendent, I invite you to join the project. DNA testing cannot prove
      lineage, but it can support the paper trail and can disprove theories,
      saving time and energy. For more information please contact me off list. I
      can provide you with links for further information concerning DNA testing
      for genealogical purposes.

      Thanks,

      Justin & Chris Roberts

      <http://www.whitelilycandles.com/croberts>

    • Vrgfdonna@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 5, 2005
        I am not a ROBERTS, but I was wondering where the BERRY name came from. Was
        he related to the Jackson Co. BERRYS? Just curious.
        Velma
      • Chris
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 5, 2005
          Velma, I have often wondered the same thing. Interestingly, the naming
          tradition has continued through the generations. I believe that James Berry
          Roberts is the son of John Roberts and Elizabeth (?). It is possible that
          Elizabeth was a Matlock, but I have no proof of Elizabeth's maiden name.
          John Roberts is last found on the 1850 census in Jackson Co. James Berry is
          found on the 1860 census residing in the household of Zach Matlock. Thanks,
          Chris

          I am not a ROBERTS, but I was wondering where the BERRY name came from.
          Was
          he related to the Jackson Co. BERRYS? Just curious.
          Velma

          _____

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          * Visit your group "jacksongenealogy
          <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jacksongenealogy> " on the web.

          _____

        • walddo2u@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 5, 2005
            I have two Roberts connections, one was Matlock Roberts,b. abt 1810
            Cumberland Co. Ky.m Zilpha Bain? who lived in Smith/Dekalb Co. Tn., his son Washington
            Roberts married Mary Ann Parker, The other Roberts lived in Tuscaloosa Co.
            Ala, several of these Roberts married Nelms, and some of this line moved to Ms. I
            don't fine "Matlock" to be a real common name, so am wondering if there may
            be some connection.? Thanks--Evelyn

          • Chris
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 5, 2005
              Drury Roberts married Rebecca Mallock (Matlock) in Madison Co. Alabama on 28
              June 1818. Drury is found on the 1830/1840 & 1850 Jackson Co. Alabama
              Census. If I recall correctly, Drury is the only Roberts listed in Jacskson
              Co. in 1830, but numerous Roberts appear in 1840 & 1850. According to
              other researchers, his wife, Rebecca, was a Matlock. One of Rebecca and
              Drury's sons was John Matlock Roberts who died between 1850 & 1854. This
              would explain John not showing on the census after 1850. Based on their
              ages, Rebecca and Zach Matlock could have been siblings, or maybe cousins.
              James Berry's 1st son was named John M. Roberts (1868-1900). Unfortunately,
              John died in 1900 and I have no information on his exact middle name. Based
              on this information it would "appear" that there is a relationship between
              the Matlock and Roberts families in Jackson County. Both families appear to
              have connections to Tennessee.

              I have looked at Matlock Roberts for a possible connection to our line.
              However, I was not able to make a connection. Is this the same Matlock
              Roberts that appears on the 1830 census in Lincoln Co. Tennessee?

              Thanks for sharing!

              Chris

              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 5, 2005
                Interesting. Thanks, Chris.