RE: SHEPHARD SHELTON

  • jmje36@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 4, 2005
      Dear Ruth,

      I saw your post on the list about Shephsrd Shelton. Although I do not know
      who his parents were, nor have I researched the Shelton family much, I did note
      an interesting tidbit which may connect to a Johnson line that I am
      researching.

      I have been gathering information on one Isaac Johnson (1787-1876 Texas Co.
      MO) for about 25 years. I believe Isaac is a brother to my ancestor, John
      Johnson, who was an early resident in Jackson County.

      Isaac was married to an Elizabeth Shelton in 1816, Warren Co. TN (Isaac's War
      of 1812 pension file). Isaac & Elizabeth had numerous children and one of
      them was Woodlief Thomas Johnson, b. 1829 TN. You list a Woodlief Thomas
      Shelton as one of your ancestors. Woodlief Thomas Johnson also named one of his
      sons Woodlief Thomas Johnson & he was b. in MO in 1874.

      I have always believed that this combination of given name was from the
      family of Elizabeth Shelton, although I have no info on her family. My question
      is: do you have siblings of your Shephard Shelton? Could Shephard and my
      Elizabeth Shelton Johnson be siblings?

      Thank you. Judy in TX

    • Ruth Huffine
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 4, 2005
        This is interesting. My Woodlief Thomas Shelton was married to an
        Elizabeth Young in 1859 and they had 9 children. I am fixing supper and
        just glanced at the computer so will re-look at all this later. Nice to
        hear from you. Thanks for answering. Ruth
        > I saw your post on the list about Shephsrd Shelton. Although I do not
        know
        > who his parents were, nor have I researched the Shelton family much, I did
        note
        > an interesting tidbit which may connect to a Johnson line that I am
        > researching.
        >
        > I have been gathering information on one Isaac Johnson (1787-1876 Texas
        Co.
        > MO) for about 25 years. I believe Isaac is a brother to my ancestor, John
        > Johnson, who was an early resident in Jackson County.
        >
        > Isaac was married to an Elizabeth Shelton in 1816, Warren Co. TN (Isaac's
        War
        > of 1812 pension file). Isaac & Elizabeth had numerous children and one of
        > them was Woodlief Thomas Johnson, b. 1829 TN. You list a Woodlief Thomas
        > Shelton as one of your ancestors. Woodlief Thomas Johnson also named one
        of his
        > sons Woodlief Thomas Johnson & he was b. in MO in 1874.
        >
        > I have always believed that this combination of given name was from the
        > family of Elizabeth Shelton, although I have no info on her family. My
        question
        > is: do you have siblings of your Shephard Shelton? Could Shephard and my
        > Elizabeth Shelton Johnson be siblings?
        >
        > Thank you. Judy in TX

      • Ruth Huffine
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 4, 2005
          Judy, my information is that Shepard Shelton's siblings are Woodlief (this
          would be his brother born 1785/87-- He was also called Woodley), Rhoda
          (1788),Liston (1789), and William Fredrick (1796).There surely were a lot of
          Woodliefs, Elizabeths, Shepards, etc. in the Shelton family. Makes it all
          confusing, doesn't it. It is hard to find a match.