Re: [jacksongenealogy] Keith and Carr families from Jackson County

  • Matthews Joyce
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 4, 2005
      I am very interested in the Holder family and would love to get any info that I can on them. My gggrandmother was Julia or Judy Holder born 16 dec 1850 married William Campbell Looney . As far as I know my Holders were all from Jackson county, Al and Franklin County, Tn. Would greatly appreciate any and all info on them.
      Thanks
      Joyce Matthews

      robert_s_63134 <robert_s_63134@...> wrote:
      There might be someone out there who is interested in the Keith
      family which was in Jackson County at least from the 1820s on. I've
      been working on this family lately after learning of many
      connections, not least of which was consistent physical proximity,
      between the two families, going all the way into Pope County, IL.
      Here's a little of what I've learned.

      I think I've nearly cornered the Carr family in old
      Pendleton District, SC. As I traced the Keiths, I found out they
      could definitely be located in Pendleton, SC prior to their being
      in Jackson County. Also, the Keiths seem to have been in Franklin
      County, TN and a number of counties in Georgia. They appear to have
      been speculating in Cherokee cession lands throughout the region. I
      actually found a land transfer record between Cornelious Keith and
      George and Judith Carr in old Pendleton District, SC. This George
      Carr I learned ended up in Franklin County, TN.

      I also found out that both families seemed to be close
      to a family named Holder. The Holders were in
      Pendleton, also in Franklin County, TN and Jackson
      County, AL. I'm starting to look into this family
      because their moves seemed to parallel the Keiths and
      Carrs up to the move to Pope.

      Finally, if Rich Edwards is out there, I have a question. If you
      check the 1850 Jackson County census, you'll find the Edwards
      family, Hugh Carr and William Holder family all within a few
      households of one another. Does the Edwards family have any
      connections with the Holders? If so, the Carr, Keith, Edwards, and
      Holder families might have closer connections than we realized and
      might go farther back.

      Thanks for any response!

      Robert Schneider
      Berkeley MO 63134

    • robert_s_63134
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 4, 2005
        Hi!

        Here is a website you might be interested in:
        http://home.earthlink.net/~bgholder/index.html

        I have found a couple of marriages between Keiths and Holders, but
        to the best of my knowledge, none of the Holders followed the two
        Keiths, the Carrs, and the Dents from Jackson County, AL to
        Pope/Saline Counties in Illinois. Still it probably is worthwhile
        to check the Holder line back by tracing the relations with the
        Keiths. By the way, William Holder is the one who was living near
        my uncle Hugh Carr and related Edwards family in the 1850 Jackson
        County census.

        Robert Schneider

        --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Matthews Joyce
        <jmatt47@y...> wrote:

        > I am very interested in the Holder family and would love to get
        any info that I can on them. My gggrandmother was Julia or Judy
        Holder born 16 dec 1850 married William Campbell Looney . As far as
        I know my Holders were all from Jackson county, Al and Franklin
        County, Tn. Would greatly appreciate any and all info on them.
        > Thanks
        > Joyce Matthews
        >
        > robert_s_63134 <robert_s_63134@y...> wrote:
        > There might be someone out there who is interested in the Keith
        > family which was in Jackson County at least from the 1820s on.
        I've
        > been working on this family lately after learning of many
        > connections, not least of which was consistent physical proximity,
        > between the two families, going all the way into Pope County, IL.
        > Here's a little of what I've learned.
        >
        > I think I've nearly cornered the Carr family in old
        > Pendleton District, SC. As I traced the Keiths, I found out they
        > could definitely be located in Pendleton, SC prior to their being
        > in Jackson County. Also, the Keiths seem to have been in Franklin
        > County, TN and a number of counties in Georgia. They appear to
        have
        > been speculating in Cherokee cession lands throughout the region.
        > actually found a land transfer record between Cornelious Keith and
        > George and Judith Carr in old Pendleton District, SC. This George
        > Carr I learned ended up in Franklin County, TN.
        >
        > I also found out that both families seemed to be close
        > to a family named Holder. The Holders were in
        > Pendleton, also in Franklin County, TN and Jackson
        > County, AL. I'm starting to look into this family
        > because their moves seemed to parallel the Keiths and
        > Carrs up to the move to Pope.
        >
        > Finally, if Rich Edwards is out there, I have a question. If you
        > check the 1850 Jackson County census, you'll find the Edwards
        > family, Hugh Carr and William Holder family all within a few
        > households of one another. Does the Edwards family have any
        > connections with the Holders? If so, the Carr, Keith, Edwards,
        and
        > Holder families might have closer connections than we realized and
        > might go farther back.
        >
        > Thanks for any response!
        >
        > Robert Schneider
        > Berkeley MO 63134

        Service.

      • Vrgfdonna@aol.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 4, 2005
          Did a CARR marry a HUNTER? I read somewhere that a Sarah CARR married
          Andrew HUNTER and that they had a son named James HUNTER. Does anyone know
          anything about this?
          One of my gr gr gr grandfathers, James HUNTER, was born in Ky. and married
          Rebecca BERRY, and they lived in Jackson Co., Al.
          Are any of these people familiar to anyone on this list?
          Thanks,
          Velma
        • Matthews Joyce
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 5, 2005
            Hi Robert,
            Thanks so much for the Holder website. I am enjoying searching the website for any relatives.

            <jmatt47@y...> wrote:

            > I am very interested in the Holder family and would love to get
            any info that I can on them. My gggrandmother was Julia or Judy
            Holder born 16 dec 1850 married William Campbell Looney . As far as
            I know my Holders were all from Jackson county, Al and Franklin
            County, Tn. Would greatly appreciate any and all info on them.
            > Thanks
            > Joyce Matthews
            >
            > robert_s_63134 <robert_s_63134@y...> wrote:
            > There might be someone out there who is interested in the Keith
            > family which was in Jackson County at least from the 1820s on.
            I've
            > been working on this family lately after learning of many
            > connections, not least of which was consistent physical proximity,
            > between the two families, going all the way into Pope County, IL.
            > Here's a little of what I've learned.
            >
            > I think I've nearly cornered the Carr family in old
            > Pendleton District, SC. As I traced the Keiths, I found out they
            > could definitely be located in Pendleton, SC prior to their being
            > in Jackson County. Also, the Keiths seem to have been in Franklin
            > County, TN and a number of counties in Georgia. They appear to
            have
            > been speculating in Cherokee cession lands throughout the region.
            > actually found a land transfer record between Cornelious Keith and
            > George and Judith Carr in old Pendleton District, SC. This George
            > Carr I learned ended up in Franklin County, TN.
            >
            > I also found out that both families seemed to be close
            > to a family named Holder. The Holders were in
            > Pendleton, also in Franklin County, TN and Jackson
            > County, AL. I'm starting to look into this family
            > because their moves seemed to parallel the Keiths and
            > Carrs up to the move to Pope.
            >
            > Finally, if Rich Edwards is out there, I have a question. If you
            > check the 1850 Jackson County census, you'll find the Edwards
            > family, Hugh Carr and William Holder family all within a few
            > households of one another. Does the Edwards family have any
            > connections with the Holders? If so, the Carr, Keith, Edwards,
            and
            > Holder families might have closer connections than we realized and
            > might go farther back.
            >
            > Thanks for any response!
            >
            > Robert Schneider
            > Berkeley MO 63134

            Service.

          • harold_m21
            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 8, 2005
              --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "robert_s_63134"
              <robert_s_63134@y...> wrote:

              > There might be someone out there who is interested in the Keith
              > family which was in Jackson County at least from the 1820s on.
              I've
              > been working on this family lately after learning of many
              > connections, not least of which was consistent physical proximity,
              > between the two families, going all the way into Pope County, IL.
              > Here's a little of what I've learned.
              >
              > I think I've nearly cornered the Carr family in old
              > Pendleton District, SC. As I traced the Keiths, I found out they
              > could definitely be located in Pendleton, SC prior to their being
              > in Jackson County. Also, the Keiths seem to have been in Franklin
              > County, TN and a number of counties in Georgia. They appear to
              have
              > been speculating in Cherokee cession lands throughout the region.
              > actually found a land transfer record between Cornelious Keith and
              > George and Judith Carr in old Pendleton District, SC. This George
              > Carr I learned ended up in Franklin County, TN.
              >
              > I also found out that both families seemed to be close
              > to a family named Holder. The Holders were in
              > Pendleton, also in Franklin County, TN and Jackson
              > County, AL. I'm starting to look into this family
              > because their moves seemed to parallel the Keiths and
              > Carrs up to the move to Pope.
              >
              > Finally, if Rich Edwards is out there, I have a question. If you
              > check the 1850 Jackson County census, you'll find the Edwards
              > family, Hugh Carr and William Holder family all within a few
              > households of one another. Does the Edwards family have any
              > connections with the Holders? If so, the Carr, Keith, Edwards,
              and
              > Holder families might have closer connections than we realized and
              > might go farther back.
              >
              > Thanks for any response!
              >
              > Robert Schneider
              > Berkeley MO 63134

              Some of the Keiths and Carrs wound up in nearby DeKalb County.

              Cornelius Keith, Sr. was in Brunswick County, Virginia area in the
              1720s. The ruin of a log cabin said to be his are still to be found
              in adjoining Mecklenburg County, Virginia. Colonel William Byrd
              visited him in the 1720s and observed "you would have to be as poor
              as he is to be as happy as he is."

              A Cornelius Keith was in Henry County, Virginia and was on the 1778
              tax list there. This area is now Carroll County, Virginia. A Thomas
              Carr was involved in a land transaction there on land formerly
              belonging to Cornelius Keith, Jr.

              A Cornelius Keith is said to be an original pioneer of Oolenoy
              Settlement started about 1743. Cornelius Keith died there in 1808
              and is buried in the Oolenoy Baptist Church cemetery in what is now
              Pumpkintown, Pickens County, South Carolina. His monument says he
              was born in Loch Lomond, Scotland in 1715 and died 1818.

              There is a real possibility of two, or more, Cornelilus Keiths in
              Virginia and North Carolina in the 1700s leading to confusion over
              which is which.

              In any event, Duncan Keith, descended from one of the Cornelius
              Keiths moved from Pickens County, SC in 1835 travelling across
              Northwest Georgia and Southeast Tennessee and into DeKalb County,
              Alabama where they settled in what was to become the White Hall
              Community (named for a companion traveling family).

              Later, Maxwells who descended from these Keiths married Carrs in
              DeKalb County.
            • robert_s_63134
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 9, 2005
                Hi!

                Many thanks for this response!

                I'm glad you believe there might have been multiple Cornelius
                Keiths. I've had that suspicion but since I'm so new to the family,
                I've hesitated to suggest it to anybody.

                Also, I've come to the conclusion that the George Keith living next
                door to my 4th gr grandfather (John Carr) in 1830 Jackson County,
                was not the George W. Keith found in the 1850 Jackson County census
                nor the one who moved to Pope County, IL. The George Keith present
                in 1830 Jackson County was 70 to 80, so was his wife. In 1840, this
                man was still present in Jackson County, 80 to 90. By 1850 he had
                disappeared or died. I suspect that the George W. I'm interested in
                was a son. As of yet, no proof.

                I'm hoping sometime soon I can make the direct connection between my
                John Carr and the Carrs who had dealings with this Keith family from
                Pendleton, SC, Jackson County, AL, and Franklin County, TN. I'm
                getting very good leads from people like you and I appreciate it!

                Just for the info of those on the mailing list, there is a George
                and wife Judith Carr who sold land to Cornelious Keith in Pendleton
                District, SC in 1803. A descendant of this George Carr contacted me
                to let me know that George ultimately moved into Franklin County,
                TN. He can be found there in 1820. He died there in the 1820s. I
                suspect that my John Carr is related to him.

              • Vrgfdonna@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Nov 12, 2005
                  Robert or any other CARR researcher:

                  Has anyone found an Andrew HUNTER and Sarah CARR (married couple) in the
                  Jackson Co. and Franklin or Lincoln Co., Tn. area? If so, are they the parents
                  of James HUNTER?

                  Thanks,
                  Velma