Keith Family

  • robert_s_63134
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 2, 2005
      Hi!

      Is anyone out there researching the Keith family? I'm interested in
      the Keiths because it appears that one of my gr aunts married
      someone named Johnathan A. Keith (in Pope County, IL) whose family
      was from Jackson County, AL.

      There were a number of Keiths in Jackson County in 1850. Most of
      them seemed to have moved to Pope County. They all seem to have
      been born in GA. Elizabeth Dent married Johnathan A. Keith in Pope
      County, IL on November 28, 1866. I found John A. in the 1860 Pope
      County census, Zion Hill Post Office, age of 15. It lists his place
      of birth as AL. His father was George Keith from GA. For some
      reason I can't find him in the 1850 Jackson County census.

      Any help would be appreciated!
      Family homepage:
      http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/s/c/h/Robert-L-
      Schneider/index.html

      Robert Schneider
      Berkeley MO 63134
    • James and Barbara Dooley
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 8, 2005
        I have one Keith. I am told that Susannah Keith was born in KY in 1838 and
        married Thomas Clark DeKalb Co., AL, in 1868. They were then listed in
        Jackson Co. censuses in 1880, 1900, and 1910. Do you happen to recognize
        her name?

        Barbara

        At 04:37 PM 10/2/2005, you wrote:
        >Hi!
        >
        >Is anyone out there researching the Keith family? I'm interested in
        >the Keiths because it appears that one of my gr aunts married
        >someone named Johnathan A. Keith (in Pope County, IL) whose family
        >was from Jackson County, AL.
      • Robert Schneider
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 9, 2005
          Hi!

          Thanks for the response! I doubt whether the Keiths
          I'm interested in are the same family as yours. Mine
          can be found in Jackson County in 1850. Their state
          of origin is listed as GA. They moved to Pope County,
          IL in the 1850s along with the Dent and Carr families.
          If you can trace them to GA, we might have common
          families. My ultimate goal in searching for Keiths is
          to find where in GA the Dent family (Joseph and
          Lucinda) originated.

          Robert Schneider

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/ncM4OD/ZbOLAA/a8ILAA/FvNolB/TM

          > There is 1 message in this issue.
          >
          > Topics in this digest:
          >
          > 1. Re: Keith Family
          > From: James and Barbara Dooley
          > <jb.dooley@...>

          > Message: 1
          > Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2005 17:39:10 -0400
          > From: James and Barbara Dooley
          > <jb.dooley@...>
          > Subject: Re: Keith Family
          >
          > I have one Keith. I am told that Susannah Keith was
          > born in KY in 1838 and
          > married Thomas Clark DeKalb Co., AL, in 1868. They
          > were then listed in
          > Jackson Co. censuses in 1880, 1900, and 1910. Do
          > you happen to recognize
          > her name?
          >
          > Barbara
          >
          > At 04:37 PM 10/2/2005, you wrote:
          > >Hi!
          > >
          > >Is anyone out there researching the Keith family?
          > I'm interested in
          > >the Keiths because it appears that one of my gr
          > aunts married
          > >someone named Johnathan A. Keith (in Pope County,
          > IL) whose family
          > >was from Jackson County, AL.

        • James and Barbara Dooley
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 9, 2005
            Thanks for your answer, Robert.
            Barbara

            At 11:35 AM 10/9/2005, you wrote:
            >Hi!
            >
            >Thanks for the response! I doubt whether the Keiths
            >I'm interested in are the same family as yours. Mine
            >can be found in Jackson County in 1850. Their state
            >of origin is listed as GA. They moved to Pope County,
            >IL in the 1850s along with the Dent and Carr families.
            > If you can trace them to GA, we might have common
            >families. My ultimate goal in searching for Keiths is
            >to find where in GA the Dent family (Joseph and
            >Lucinda) originated.
            >
            >Robert Schneider
          • Malbuff
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 9, 2005
              Robert, I have a large number of Keiths in my family. Many of my Keith
              cousins still live in
              Franklin county, Tennessee, which is just across the mountain from Jackson
              county, Ala.
              There has always been a lot of back-and-forth movement between these two
              counties among
              inter-related families.

              James Keith is the first Keith in my database. He married into my Larkin
              family somewhere in the
              1830-1840 time frame. His numerous descendants are still living in the
              Franklin county, Tenn., area.
              I know there are still at least a few Keiths living in Jackson county in and
              around Larkinsville also.
              They married into the Rutledge, Lipscomb, Stovall, and Reed families, among
              others. I have not
              gone back past James, since the Keiths are kin only by marriage and not
              (yet) among the families
              I am researching in-depth.

              All of which is to suggest that you might want to check the Franklin county,
              Tenn., records
              for your Keiths, since the Jackson county branch may have spent time there
              too.

              Glory to God,

              David Malbuff
              Strasburg, Virginia
              Researching Stephens, Larkin, Snodgrass, McClung, Rutledge families in
              Alabama & Tennessee

              > Is anyone out there researching the Keith family? I'm interested in
              > the Keiths because it appears that one of my gr aunts married
              > someone named Johnathan A. Keith (in Pope County, IL) whose family
              > was from Jackson County, AL.
              >
              > There were a number of Keiths in Jackson County in 1850. Most of
              > them seemed to have moved to Pope County. They all seem to have
              > been born in GA. Elizabeth Dent married Johnathan A. Keith in Pope
              > County, IL on November 28, 1866. I found John A. in the 1860 Pope
              > County census, Zion Hill Post Office, age of 15. It lists his place
              > of birth as AL. His father was George Keith from GA. For some
              > reason I can't find him in the 1850 Jackson County census.
              >
              > Any help would be appreciated!
              > Family homepage:
              > http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/s/c/h/Robert-L-
              > Schneider/index.html
              >
              > Robert Schneider
              > Berkeley MO 63134
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Robert Schneider
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 10, 2005
                Hi David!

                You're dead right about the connection with Franklin
                County, TN. My Jackson County families very often
                married in that county. I will definitely check into
                those county records.

                It's interesting how these families all picked up and
                moved seemingly all at once. I can't tell you how
                many of my mother's families left Jackson County at
                almost the same time. Everybody left between 1852 and
                1855.

                Just to reemphasize the close connection between the
                Keiths, Dents, and Carrs, I just found out about a
                guardianship relation between between George Keith (b.
                GA 1812) and James Carr. George W. Carr was my 3rd gr
                grandfather, who died in the Civil War leaving 3 kids,
                James H., William Merida and Doranna Celinda. The
                mother, Mary Ellen Warren Carr, died in 1872. James
                was George's first son. George Keith actually served
                as James's court appointed guardian for two years. So
                the Dents and Keiths married, and the Carrs and Keiths
                also had a close relation.

                Thanks for the response!

                Robert Schneider
                Berkeley MO 63134

              • Robert Schneider
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 10, 2006
                  Hi!

                  For any of you out there researchsing the Keith
                  family, I can tell you a couple of things. The George
                  Keith who can be found in the 1830 Jackson County, AL
                  census living next to John Carr, was from VA and very
                  likely moved into Jackson County, AL from Jackson
                  County, GA. His wife had the maidens name of Gamble,
                  or Gambel or Gambol.

                  I still suspect that this Keith family is connected to
                  the Keith family which can be found in old Pendleton
                  District, SC. These Keiths did move into various
                  counties in GA such as Lincoln and Hall.

                  My reason for following this Keith family is that they
                  had connections with the Carr family and the Dent
                  family. Their connections began at least in Jackson
                  County, AL and continued into Pope County, IL.

                  This info is from the marriage record of his son
                  George W. Keith. His second marriage was recorded in
                  Johnson County, IL in 1880.

                  Robert Schneider