Re: [jacksongenealogy] Marriage records, bonds, and licenses in Jackson County

  • Ann B. Chambless
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2005
      The original marriage bonds do not exist. According to an extant letter
      written by a Federal soldier while stationed at Bellefonte during the Civil
      War, the original marriage bonds were burned by Federal troops during the
      Federal occupation of Bellefonte ( the county seat of justice until 1868.)
      The only extant marriage records are the books wherein the county clerk
      recorded the marriage license. The record did not require the names of
      parents; therefore, (except in cases of minors) there is no mention of
      parent or guardian in the marriage books. The name of the justice of the
      peace or minister who performed the marriage is normally listed as is the
      place. Occasionally a marriage record will read:
      "married at the home of the bride's father or married at the home of the
      bride." However, the name of the bride's father is NOT stated.
      In some rare instances when the bride or groom (or both) were minors, there
      is an addendum which states who gave approval for the marriage or vouched
      for the age of the bride or groom who was a underage.
      The document provided by the current Jackson County Probate Judge is simply
      a machine copy of what is recorded in the marriage book.
      Ann B. Chambless
    • robert_s_63134
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2005
        Hi!

        Thanks for the answer. I expected as much, but I thought I'd ask
        anyway.

        Most of the lines in my mother's father's family at least passed
        through Jackson County, if they didn't live there for long. On my
        mother's mother's side, I have a gr gr grandfather named John Henry
        Beuke (in the military records as Banke) who was from Franklin
        County, Missouri and ended up in Sherman's army. He was stationed
        at Bridgeport for at least six months. He probably was part of the
        crowd that burned that county.

        Robert Schneider

        --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Ann B. Chambless"