Marriage records, bonds, and licenses in Jackson County

  • robert_s_63134
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2005
      Hi!

      I have a question for the experts on marriage records in Jackson
      County. Were marriage bonds customary in Jackson County? If so, are
      there any records of those bonds? Do actual copies of marriage
      licenses exist? Did licenses prior to the civil war show any info
      about the parents?

      I ask this because my 3rd gr grandfather Thomas Lewis Dent married
      Elizabeth Williams in Jackson County on July 27, 1852. The record
      survives--I've found it listed on the internet site. I would like to
      get a copy of the license, if it exists, and also any info on the
      marriage bonds, again if they exist.

      Robert Schneider
      Berkeley MO 63134
    • Ann B. Chambless
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2005
        The original marriage bonds do not exist. According to an extant letter
        written by a Federal soldier while stationed at Bellefonte during the Civil
        War, the original marriage bonds were burned by Federal troops during the
        Federal occupation of Bellefonte ( the county seat of justice until 1868.)
        The only extant marriage records are the books wherein the county clerk
        recorded the marriage license. The record did not require the names of
        parents; therefore, (except in cases of minors) there is no mention of
        parent or guardian in the marriage books. The name of the justice of the
        peace or minister who performed the marriage is normally listed as is the
        place. Occasionally a marriage record will read:
        "married at the home of the bride's father or married at the home of the
        bride." However, the name of the bride's father is NOT stated.
        In some rare instances when the bride or groom (or both) were minors, there
        is an addendum which states who gave approval for the marriage or vouched
        for the age of the bride or groom who was a underage.
        The document provided by the current Jackson County Probate Judge is simply
        a machine copy of what is recorded in the marriage book.
        Ann B. Chambless
      • robert_s_63134
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 2, 2005
          Hi!

          Thanks for the answer. I expected as much, but I thought I'd ask
          anyway.

          Most of the lines in my mother's father's family at least passed
          through Jackson County, if they didn't live there for long. On my
          mother's mother's side, I have a gr gr grandfather named John Henry
          Beuke (in the military records as Banke) who was from Franklin
          County, Missouri and ended up in Sherman's army. He was stationed
          at Bridgeport for at least six months. He probably was part of the
          crowd that burned that county.

          Robert Schneider

          --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Ann B. Chambless"