Spence Family

  • Robert Schneider
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2005
      Hi!

      Is anyone out there researching or knowledgeable about
      the Spence family? I'm interested in the Spence
      family because they have a connection to the Carr
      family. In the 1850 census, my 4th gr grandfather
      John Carr is living between two Spence families, one
      containing his daughter Nancy and son in law (John)
      Abner Spence, the other containing Jerry and Anny
      Spence. ('Jerry' and 'Anny' quite possibly are not
      correct interpretations of the census taker's
      handwriting.)

      It's Jerry and Anny that concern me here. I have had
      suspicions that Anny might have been related in some
      way to the Carrs. Anny gives her location of birth as
      South Carolina (SC). Living next door to John Carr and
      he being from South Carolina leads me to the hunch
      that there was some sort of connection prior to the
      time they were in Jackson County.

      The Carrs left the county in the early 1850s for
      Stonefort, Illinois. The John Abner and Nancy Spence
      family also moved to Stonefort. It appears that
      'Jerry' and 'Anny' stayed in AL. In 1860, there is a
      Jese and Anna Spence still living there. I believe
      Jese and Anna are the same as Jerry and Anny because
      the 1860 census page shows Stevenson PO and the family
      is near the Tally family which was there in 1850. I
      can't find this Spence family after 1860.

      Any help would be appreciated!

      Robert Schneider
      Berkeley MO 63134

      Family homepage url:
      http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/s/c/h/Robert-L-Schneider/index.html
      It needs a little updating on some matters. I'd be
      glad to answer any questions.
    • Btweety98412376@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2005
        Did John Carr marry a matilda Judge they Married in August 14,1849.

      • robert_s_63134
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 2, 2005
          Hi!

          My John Carr married someone named Nancy Taylor who was born in 1806,
          in Pulaski County, KY. They had a son named Hugh in Dec., 1822, in
          Jackson County, AL. When and where Nancy and John married I don't
          know. They left Jackson County in the early 1850s. All I know about
          John Carr is that the census indicated that he was born in S Carolina
          between 1795 and 1805. Trying to learn about this man's family has
          been my toughest nut to crack. If I could only find his county of
          birth in SC, I think I'd be on my way.

          --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, Btweety98412376@a... wrote:
          > Did John Carr marry a matilda Judge they Married in August 14,1849.

        • Shirley Carter
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 3, 2005
            If he did it was after him and Nancy Taylor seperated
            as she was in Stone CO., Mo. by 1850's and he wasn't
            with her. She was living with a sister named Bethany
            Taylor Edwards who was married to a John Edwards who
            died on his way to Missouri.
            Shirley Carter nee Taylor
            NEW EMAIL ADDY AFTER TODAY WILL BE
            shirleyacarter@...