Re: [jacksongenealogy] Digest Number 1229

  • Robert Schneider
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2005
      Hi!

      Is anyone out there researching or knowledgeable about
      the Spence family? I'm interested in the Spence
      family because they have a connection to the Carr
      family. In the 1850 census, my 4th gr grandfather
      John Carr is living between two Spence families, one
      containing his daughter Nancy and son in law (John)
      Abner Spence, the other containing Jerry and Anny
      Spence. ('Jerry' and 'Anny' quite possibly are not
      correct interpretations of the census taker's
      handwriting.)

      It's Jerry and Anny that concern me here. I have had
      suspicions that Anny might have been related in some
      way to the Carrs. Anny gives her location of birth as
      South Carolina (SC). Living next door to John Carr and
      he being from South Carolina leads me to the hunch
      that there was some sort of connection prior to the
      time they were in Jackson County.

      The Carrs left the county in the early 1850s for
      Stonefort, Illinois. The John Abner and Nancy Spence
      family also moved to Stonefort. It appears that
      'Jerry' and 'Anny' stayed in AL. In 1860, there is a
      Jese and Anna Spence still living there. I believe
      Jese and Anna are the same as Jerry and Anny because
      the 1860 census page shows Stevenson PO and the family
      is near the Tally family which was there in 1850. I
      can't find this Spence family after 1860.

      Any help would be appreciated!

      Robert Schneider
      Berkeley MO 63134

      Family homepage url:
      http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/s/c/h/Robert-L-Schneider/index.html
      It needs a little updating on some matters. I'd be
      glad to answer any questions.