Re: [jacksongenealogy] 1880 Poor House

    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 1, 2005
      Here is the 1880 Jackson County Poor House. Ann
      Chamblessas identified the Poor House Master as
      Claborn Evans and taking another look it is
      listed as Evins

      Jackson County Poor House
      House 116 Family 118
      -----Evins Master of Poor House VA VA VA
      Pamelia Wife Keeping House TN VA VA
      Jane Ray 74 TN
      Jane Blanchet 38 AL TN TN
      Mary Blanchet 18 AL KY AL
      Elizabeth King 50 AL TN TN
      Manerva Glass 60 AL VA VA
      Mary A. Brady 31 AL TN TN
      Martha Walls 40 AL NC NC
      Susan Culver 64 KY NC VA
      Sarah Culver 22 AL AL KY
      Elizabeth Culver 3 AL AL KY
      Nancy A. Davis 36 AL AL AL
      Jasper Davis 6 AL AL AL
      Robert Davis 2 AL AL AL
      Francis Gibs 71 NC NC NC
      Mary Campbell 22 AL TN TN
      Mary J. Hays 35 SC SC SC
      Ellen Kiser 30 AL NC NC
      Bettie P. Kiser 5 AL NC NC
      John Mathews 72 NC VA NC
      Clara Haynes (Black) 75 VA VA
      James Turk (Black) 56 TN VA VA

      Manerva (Minerva) Glass age probably should be 40
      since she was 30 in 1870.

      Minerva Glass, Martha Walls and Ann Bray (Mary A.
      Brady?) were listed with young children on the
      1870 census.

      I have not listed why they were in the Poor
      House, no reason was given for most. While some
      were disabled mentally or physically most were
      just poor I think or old. There was no safety net
      back then and just about every county in America
      had a Poor House or Poor Farm. Women with small
      children whose husband had died were especially
      at risk. This is the reason most women almost
      immediately remarried if they had no family to
      take them in. I have said before that it seemed
      some men and women picked out the next spouse at
      the cemetery and when you think about it with
      good reason.

      The only two names I know from the 1890 Poor
      House are Elizabeth (15) and Mary L. (11)
      Thompson the daughters of Fowler and Jane
      (Morgan) Thompson. They were the granddaughters
      of Samuel and Lucinda (Gullatt) Thompson, Thomas
      J. and James M. Gullatt's sister. Elizabeth and
      Mary's parents died before 1880 and Lucinda died
      about 1884 and the girls when to live with Thomas
      J. at the Poor House. Elizabeth Thompson married
      Thomas J.'s son, her cousin, John Gullatt 11 Jan
      1891.

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2005
        Ann

        Sorry about the spelling of your last name on the
        message my spell checker is not working right and
        adds extra letters.

        Clay
      • frances_lambert2000
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 1, 2005
          Jack could you give me cora's death date and where she died and is
          buried Cora Johnson's parents were Bailey Johnson And Caroline
          (Coots) Johnson. The Sarah Treece I was talking about is still living.
          Frances Lambert
          --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Hamilton"
          <hkatherinejohn@b...> wrote:
          > Hi nice to hear from you.Dave Treece who was married to Cora was my
          > Grandfathers brother. There father was Moses Treece wife Cornelia
          Neily
          > Clayton.Dave had 4 brothers and 2 sisters.My Grandfather James or
          Jim as he
          > was called lived in Long Hollow he owned about 4 houses and a farm
          at
          > Langston.I just have Cora's name and birth and death date same as
          you.One
          > Sarah Treece I have was married to Thomas Franklin Holcomb.They
          were my
          > Grandmother Mima Treece parents.I amgoing to start working on those
          real
          > soon. Hope some of this helped. If there is anything else just
          yell. Sorry I
          > do not have Sarah parents name I will try to find it. regards
          > Jack

          Cora
          > > Johnson born 24 mar 1894 .I think they lived in Woodville.do you
          > > have any thing on them?
          > > Frances Lambert
          > >
          > > --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Hamilton"
          > > <hkatherinejohn@b...> wrote:
          > >> Hello everyone
          > >> I am John L. Hamilton people call me Jack. I live in Maryville
          > > Tennessee all of my family are from Jackson County Alabama. My
          > > mothers parents were James A. Treece and Mima Treece that lived in
          > > Long Hollow. My dads parents were William Alford Hamilton and
          Allie
          > > Hamilton they lived in Section AL. Just about all the Hamiltons
          are
          > > buried at Bluff cemetary.I have worked on my family tree for six
          or
          > > seven years now. I just cant stop I love it.Most people that I
          have
          > > met that does this are nice people. Any help I can get on
          Hamilton's
          > > or Treeces and Watsons I will more than appreciate it.With regards
          > >> Jack Hamilton

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Jack Hamilton
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 1, 2005
            Cora was Born 24 March 1894 died September 1986 I do not have the day yet.
            but maybe I can find it tonight on Ancestery. com. I will check tonight or
            tomorrow.hope this helps
            Jack