Re: [jacksongenealogy] Re: 1870 Poor House

    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 30, 2005
      Roni

      The Poor House was run by different people on
      each census, while the 1870 census does not call
      it the Poor House some of the same people are on
      the 1880 census which does call it the Poor
      House, Manerva (Minerva) Glass, Martha Walls,
      Mary Ann Bray(Brady). You can find the 1870 by
      looking for Jno and Jerusha Womack on that census
      or for Martha Walls. You can find the 1880 by
      looking for Pomelia Goins who was the wife of the
      Master of the Poor House whose first name was not
      give justs Goins or again looking for Martha
      Walls.

      My Great-Great Uncle Thomas J. Gullatt was
      running the Poor House in the mid to late 1880s
      and early 1890s when it was located on Poor House
      Mountain (Northwest of Hollywood) where the
      Pauper's Cemetery is located. There is no list
      for who was in it in 1890.

      My cousin's husband went up on the mountain last
      fall and none of the graves are marked you can't
      even tell where the cemetery was at due to no
      headstones and where they have been logging the
      mountain off.

      I will post the names for 1880 tomorrow.

      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 1, 2005
        Here is the 1880 Jackson County Poor House. Ann
        Chamblessas identified the Poor House Master as
        Claborn Evans and taking another look it is
        listed as Evins

        Jackson County Poor House
        House 116 Family 118
        -----Evins Master of Poor House VA VA VA
        Pamelia Wife Keeping House TN VA VA
        Jane Ray 74 TN
        Jane Blanchet 38 AL TN TN
        Mary Blanchet 18 AL KY AL
        Elizabeth King 50 AL TN TN
        Manerva Glass 60 AL VA VA
        Mary A. Brady 31 AL TN TN
        Martha Walls 40 AL NC NC
        Susan Culver 64 KY NC VA
        Sarah Culver 22 AL AL KY
        Elizabeth Culver 3 AL AL KY
        Nancy A. Davis 36 AL AL AL
        Jasper Davis 6 AL AL AL
        Robert Davis 2 AL AL AL
        Francis Gibs 71 NC NC NC
        Mary Campbell 22 AL TN TN
        Mary J. Hays 35 SC SC SC
        Ellen Kiser 30 AL NC NC
        Bettie P. Kiser 5 AL NC NC
        John Mathews 72 NC VA NC
        Clara Haynes (Black) 75 VA VA
        James Turk (Black) 56 TN VA VA

        Manerva (Minerva) Glass age probably should be 40
        since she was 30 in 1870.

        Minerva Glass, Martha Walls and Ann Bray (Mary A.
        Brady?) were listed with young children on the
        1870 census.

        I have not listed why they were in the Poor
        House, no reason was given for most. While some
        were disabled mentally or physically most were
        just poor I think or old. There was no safety net
        back then and just about every county in America
        had a Poor House or Poor Farm. Women with small
        children whose husband had died were especially
        at risk. This is the reason most women almost
        immediately remarried if they had no family to
        take them in. I have said before that it seemed
        some men and women picked out the next spouse at
        the cemetery and when you think about it with
        good reason.

        The only two names I know from the 1890 Poor
        House are Elizabeth (15) and Mary L. (11)
        Thompson the daughters of Fowler and Jane
        (Morgan) Thompson. They were the granddaughters
        of Samuel and Lucinda (Gullatt) Thompson, Thomas
        J. and James M. Gullatt's sister. Elizabeth and
        Mary's parents died before 1880 and Lucinda died
        about 1884 and the girls when to live with Thomas
        J. at the Poor House. Elizabeth Thompson married
        Thomas J.'s son, her cousin, John Gullatt 11 Jan
        1891.

        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 1, 2005
          Ann

          Sorry about the spelling of your last name on the
          message my spell checker is not working right and
          adds extra letters.

          Clay
        • frances_lambert2000
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 1, 2005
            Jack could you give me cora's death date and where she died and is
            buried Cora Johnson's parents were Bailey Johnson And Caroline
            (Coots) Johnson. The Sarah Treece I was talking about is still living.
            Frances Lambert
            --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Hamilton"
            <hkatherinejohn@b...> wrote:
            > Hi nice to hear from you.Dave Treece who was married to Cora was my
            > Grandfathers brother. There father was Moses Treece wife Cornelia
            Neily
            > Clayton.Dave had 4 brothers and 2 sisters.My Grandfather James or
            Jim as he
            > was called lived in Long Hollow he owned about 4 houses and a farm
            at
            > Langston.I just have Cora's name and birth and death date same as
            you.One
            > Sarah Treece I have was married to Thomas Franklin Holcomb.They
            were my
            > Grandmother Mima Treece parents.I amgoing to start working on those
            real
            > soon. Hope some of this helped. If there is anything else just
            yell. Sorry I
            > do not have Sarah parents name I will try to find it. regards
            > Jack

            Cora
            > > Johnson born 24 mar 1894 .I think they lived in Woodville.do you
            > > have any thing on them?
            > > Frances Lambert
            > >
            > > --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Jack Hamilton"
            > > <hkatherinejohn@b...> wrote:
            > >> Hello everyone
            > >> I am John L. Hamilton people call me Jack. I live in Maryville
            > > Tennessee all of my family are from Jackson County Alabama. My
            > > mothers parents were James A. Treece and Mima Treece that lived in
            > > Long Hollow. My dads parents were William Alford Hamilton and
            Allie
            > > Hamilton they lived in Section AL. Just about all the Hamiltons
            are
            > > buried at Bluff cemetary.I have worked on my family tree for six
            or
            > > seven years now. I just cant stop I love it.Most people that I
            have
            > > met that does this are nice people. Any help I can get on
            Hamilton's
            > > or Treeces and Watsons I will more than appreciate it.With regards
            > >> Jack Hamilton

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Jack Hamilton
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 1, 2005
              Cora was Born 24 March 1894 died September 1986 I do not have the day yet.
              but maybe I can find it tonight on Ancestery. com. I will check tonight or
              tomorrow.hope this helps
              Jack