MAXWELL CEMETERY

  • meme1536
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 25 7:48 AM
      Good Morning,

      I am a new member to the group and this is my first posting. Since
      joining, I have spent the first few days reading the archives and
      found them very interesting. I especially enjoyed all the historical
      references/articles/discussions about different areas of Jackson
      County, AL.

      I am hoping someone can help me with the history of Maxwell Cemetery
      at Flat Rock, Jackson County, AL. Most of the people buried there
      are related to me.

      I believe my maternal GGrandfather to be James P. MAXWELL who m Sarah
      C. PENNINGTON . They had a daughter Hannah who m (1)Charley Hawes
      (2) John Dolphus MILLICAN. I do not know who the parents for James
      Maxwell are .

      I would appreciate any information on this cemetery but am
      particularly interested in the amount of land donated for the
      cemetery and who donated it. I am unable to go to Scottsboro and
      would like to know if it is possible to order a copy of the original
      deed without going to Scottsboro. If so, how would I go about doing
      this?

      Thank you for any information or suggestions in regards to Maxwell
      Cemetery.

      Louise Carver Howard
    • frances_lambert2000
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 25 11:28 AM
        Hope this helps I found land deeds for the following Maxwells on the
        us gen web AL jackson county Land and deed records.
        name section township range acres date
        Emory c 17 2s 9e 0 1860
        Emery C 17 2S 9e 80.19 1860
        William 18 2s 9e 40.35 1850
        William 18 2s 9e 40.35 1854
        Levi K 18 2s 9e 0 1885
        Levi K 19 2s 9e 1885
        Hugh P 19 2s 9e 80.6 1902
        Maxwell Cemetery is in section 18 township 2s range 9e
        There is a sight that you can view the land patent but the site is
        down right now maybe it will be back up soon. there is a link to it
        on this site.

        --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "meme1536" <meme1536@y...>
        wrote:
        > Good Morning,
        >
        > I am a new member to the group and this is my first posting. Since
        > joining, I have spent the first few days reading the archives and
        > found them very interesting. I especially enjoyed all the
        historical
        > references/articles/discussions about different areas of Jackson
        > County, AL.
        >
        > I am hoping someone can help me with the history of Maxwell
        Cemetery
        > at Flat Rock, Jackson County, AL. Most of the people buried there
        > are related to me.
        >
        > I believe my maternal GGrandfather to be James P. MAXWELL who m
        Sarah
        > C. PENNINGTON . They had a daughter Hannah who m (1)Charley Hawes
        > (2) John Dolphus MILLICAN. I do not know who the parents for James
        > Maxwell are .
        >
        > I would appreciate any information on this cemetery but am
        > particularly interested in the amount of land donated for the
        > cemetery and who donated it. I am unable to go to Scottsboro and
        > would like to know if it is possible to order a copy of the
        original
        > deed without going to Scottsboro. If so, how would I go about doing
        > this?
        >
        > Thank you for any information or suggestions in regards to Maxwell
        > Cemetery.
        >
        > Louise Carver Howard
      • Louise Howard
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 25 12:06 PM
          Hi Frances,

          Thanks for all the information on Maxwell Cemetery and the Maxwell's Land and deed records.
          Your help is greatly appreciated.

          I would like to get a copy of the original deed for the Cemetery if they are available by mail or internet.. Because of the name I thought perhaps it was started by the MAXWELL Family. I know I have Maxwell Family buried there.. Also I have been told that one of my Millican cousins may have donated part of the land. Just wanted to add to my MILLICAN/MAXWELL history.

          Thanks Again,
          Louise

          wrote:
          > Good Morning,
          >
          > I am a new member to the group and this is my first posting. Since
          > joining, I have spent the first few days reading the archives and
          > found them very interesting. I especially enjoyed all the
          historical
          > references/articles/discussions about different areas of Jackson
          > County, AL.
          >
          > I am hoping someone can help me with the history of Maxwell
          Cemetery
          > at Flat Rock, Jackson County, AL. Most of the people buried there
          > are related to me.
          >
          > I believe my maternal GGrandfather to be James P. MAXWELL who m
          Sarah
          > C. PENNINGTON . They had a daughter Hannah who m (1)Charley Hawes
          > (2) John Dolphus MILLICAN. I do not know who the parents for James
          > Maxwell are .
          >
          > I would appreciate any information on this cemetery but am
          > particularly interested in the amount of land donated for the
          > cemetery and who donated it. I am unable to go to Scottsboro and
          > would like to know if it is possible to order a copy of the
          original
          > deed without going to Scottsboro. If so, how would I go about doing
          > this?
          >
          > Thank you for any information or suggestions in regards to Maxwell
          > Cemetery.
          >
          > Louise Carver Howard

          Genealogy information Family home Cellular phone family plan Family genealogy Family vacations Genealogy family tree

          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 26 5:50 AM
            Louise, I think that I have some of your Millicans and Penningtons in my
            tree. My e is _Klinge6131@..._ (mailto:Klinge6131@...)
            I was born Flat Rock, Al. 1929. K. M. Lingenfelter, Pt. St. Lucie, Fl.

          • lewatkins
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 26 5:33 PM
              K.M.,
              Sounds like we may sure have a connection.
              My mom was Ethel Howard & my dad was Grady Millican. My dad died young & my
              mom didn't bury him in The Maxwell Cemt ( the family cemetery)because she
              couldn't drive to take care of his grave. They are both now at rest in The
              Trenton Baptist Cemetery in Trenton, Dade County, Ga. close to home then.
              I, my two sisters & one brother were born in Flat Rock, Al., Ole Christian
              Home Beat & then dad moved us to Trenton.
              The Maxwells & Penningtons are related & Cicero's brother married a Maxwell,
              I believe. Family lore is that the Maxwells donated the land for the
              cemetery & hence the name Maxwell Cemetery came into being. The cemetery is
              full of our kin.
              Thanks,
              Mary

            • KLinge6131@aol.com
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 27 11:54 AM
                I THINK WE HAVE SOME OF THE SAME LINE; I WILL START WITH THE PENNINGTONS.
                JASPER NEWTON PENNINGTON MARRIED ELIZABETH RIDLEY, MY GG AUNT. MY GRANDMOTHER
                WAS MINNIE RIDLEY. HE SERVED CIVIL WAR, LIVED AT FABIUS, AL. HE DIED 22 APRIL
                1923, AFTER ELIZABETH. A GRAVE HAS NEVER FOUND OR DOCUMENTED. THEY MAY BE AT
                THE MAXWELL CEMETERY, AS I HAVE NEVER LOOKED THERE AND IT IS NOT ON LINE.J. E.
                MAXWELL SIGNED THE PROBATE FOR JASPER. HEIRS SHOWN ON PROBATE; AB.
                PENNINGTON ABT. 68 YRS OLD LIVES IN OKLAHOME; EMMA COKER ABT 60 LIVES IN TX. RANDOLPH
                LIVES IN MISSOURI; ANDY LIVES UNKNOWN, JIM B. WO LIVES IN OKLAHOMA; R. C.
                LIVES IN TENNESSEE. MARY JERNEGAN LIVES IN OHIO; BETTIE MILLLER LIVES IN
                MICHIGAN AND ALL OVER 21 OFAGE. ADDRESSES UNKNOWN ND THE HEIRS OF MARGARET HOWARD,
                DECEASED , JE MAXWELL OF FABIUS, JA MAXWELL OF FLAT ROCK AL. JOE A GRIFFIN A
                MINOR OVER 14 RESIDES AT FLAT ROCK, SARAH BREWER AND HATTIE LEONARD AND
                MILLIE HAWES OVER 21 LIVE AT CHATTANOOGA ALSO IDEILA HAWES, ANNIE MILLIGAN AND JE
                MILLIGAN ALL UNDER 21 LIVE AT FABIUS.
                The home was sold to George Paterson , It appears that Elizabeth (Ridley
                Pennington may have died a short tme before Jasper There was no reference to
                her at the time of his deatrh.

                Mary Elizabeth Ridley b. 1844, Marian Co. Tn. 1920 census shows Jasper
                Pennington and Mary Gross Springs dwl. #103. John Ridley and his youngest child
                Mae in 104 , George Patterson #105.

                1950 census Jackson County Al
                Joel Penningtron 35 age born Tn.
                Hannah 32 Tn. 1870
                census shows they had oth
                Jasper 10 Tn.
                Margaret 4 Tn. Sarah C,
                Absolem, Mary E.
                Benjamin 2 Tn.
                Martha 3 mo Tn.

                Living next to B Pennington
                83 N.C.
                Matilda 58 S.C.
                Newton 25 Tn.

                Jasper and M. Elizabeth had no children;
                My Grandmother's brother Spiller Ridley married Ellen A. Maxwell 7 Oct. 1906
                They issued nine children. Most are dead.

                Lucius Brown my Grandfather Paul Brown's brother married Margaret Hawkins,
                she was sister to Martha Hawkins who was the Mother of Maud Harris, married to
                Andrew J. Millican and the sister of John Roscoe Harris married to Aseneth
                Ridley, My Grandmother's Sister.
                Bill Millican married Wilma Lee Harris.

                Andrew Millican and Maude Harris Millican had these children Heskel Millican
                b. 1912,Willie 1914, Virgil 1916, Synthia 1920, Lois 1921, Alene 1923,
                Heskel the oldes married my Mother's sister Bonnie Virginia Brown. both
                deceased.
                I have one living aunt in North Carolina. She is 87 and I had ask her
                earlier if Ida and Cicero were the parents of Grady and Fred. She said she knew
                both the boys and both she and my Mom dated Grady.
                I find the Millicans and Harris's are entertwined smohow and they all seemed
                to come from Georgia along with the Browns. Hope I wrote so you can
                understand this. I know there is more, but I am recovering from surgery and getting
                tired , will write more. I need input also as to whether Andrew and Cicero are
                brothers and Cicero's middle name. Is it a surname?
                My Father was Andrew Clark and married Opal L. Brown. I am oldes of three
                children.
                K. M. Lingenfelter

              • KLinge6131@aol.com
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 27 11:57 AM
                  Sorry the census is 1850 instead 1950 of course.

                • Louise Howard
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 27 12:38 PM
                    Thank you so very much.!! As I told you I don't have much on the Pennington Family but the following is my family!!

                    SARAH BREWER AND HATTIE LEONARD AND
                    MILLIE HAWES OVER 21 LIVE AT CHATTANOOGA ALSO IDEILA HAWES, ANNIE MILLIGAN AND JE
                    MILLIGAN ALL UNDER 21 LIVE AT FABIUS.

                    Sarah, Hattie Millie, and Idela were the children of Hannah Pennington and Charley Hawes.
                    Annie Millican was my Mother
                    J.E. Millican (John Emery) my Uncle.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 27 12:54 PM
                      Please excuse my last post. It was an error. I was so emotional to finally find this wealth of info after searching for so long.

                      I will answer your other post as soon as I can calm down a little. THANK YOU so very Much!

                      Louise

                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 27 3:24 PM
                        K.M.,
                        Yes, Cicero Dawson Millican was my paternal grandpa.Cicero was the 6th child
                        & the 5th son of Mary Elvira Scott & Andrew Jackson Millican. Cicero was b.7
                        Oct 1870 in GA., d. 13 Nov 1941 & is bur in the Maxwell Cemetery.
                        Cicero's brother, John Dolphus "John D." Millican, mar (1st) Sinthia Harris,
                        (2nd) Hannah Maxwell (the dau. of James Maxwell & Sarah Pennington, (3rd)
                        Mary Wilkey, no issue.
                        John D. was born 20 Apr 1868, d. 12 Jan 1960 & is bur. in the Maxwell
                        Cemetery. Sinthia & John D. had two sons before she died with milk fever:
                        Virgil "Virge" & Andrew "Andy" Jackson Millican. Virgil mar. Lucy Blevin &
                        they had two children: Ballard & Blevin. Virgil mar next, Lola Higdon & they
                        had four children: Dwight ( the preacher), Caroline, Breland & Renae.
                        Andrew J.mar Lela Maude Harris & they had six children: John Haskell, Wm.
                        "Bill", Virgil, Sintha, Hazel & Alean.(Alean was at our Millican Reunion
                        last year)
                        Hannah is bur. in the Liberty Hill Baptist Cemetery, Flat Rock, Jackson
                        County, AL. ( on highway #14). Hannah & John D. had two children: Annie
                        Elvira, b. 22 Feb 1912 in DeKalb Co., AL; mar Charles "Charlie" Hoyt Carver
                        in Oct. 1930 in Dade Co., GA.& d. 28 May 1992; son, Johnny E. b.1914, mar
                        Annie Hudson, d. 23 Dec 2001 at age 87 in Athens, TN.
                        Let me get my breath & do some research to refresh my memory.....
                        Are we on the same track so far?
                        Mary
> [...]
                        > Heskel the oldes married my Mother's sister Bonnie Virginia Brown. both
                        > deceased.
                        > I have one living aunt in North Carolina. She is 87 and I had ask her
                        > earlier if Ida and Cicero were the parents of Grady and Fred. She said she
                        > knew
                        > both the boys and both she and my Mom dated Grady.
                        > I find the Millicans and Harris's are entertwined smohow and they all
                        > seemed
                        > to come from Georgia along with the Browns. Hope I wrote so you can
                        > understand this. I know there is more, but I am recovering from surgery
                        > and getting
                        > tired , will write more. I need input also as to whether Andrew and
                        > Cicero are
                        > brothers and Cicero's middle name. Is it a surname?
                        > My Father was Andrew Clark and married Opal L. Brown. I am oldes of three

                      • sromanek
                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 30 12:40 PM
                          I hate to but in but is this Millican you mentioned by the name of Andy the son of Martha Ellen Shrader and James Millican? If so then I connect through Martha and her first husband William Thomas Johnston. I just wondered if your Andy was the same as John Andy I have who was married to an Elma Webster. Maybe he married twice? Are the Millicans and the Milligans one and the same family? I have been curious about that for a while now. If we are talking about the same Andy Millican then my great grandma Malinda Johnston Kirksey was his 1/2 sister. I do not know where she died for sure and cannot find her burial so far. I am always in hopes that one of my posts will hit on someone who knows of her. God knows I have tried everything else possible.

                          Take Care,
                          Sharon Dover Romanek
                          Primary e-mail: sromanek@...
                          Secondary e-mail: sromanek@...

                          Researching: Romanek, Gucwa, Dover, Shrader, Tyner, Johnston, Williams, Edge, Smith, Kirksey, Demers, Murphy, Allen

                          I hear ethereal whispers, persuasive,
                          soft and still, "Daughter, if you don't
                          remember us, who will ?"-----------

                              Message 14 of 14 , Aug 30 1:39 PM
                                Hello Sharon,

                                Thanks for writing. I have more than one Andrew Millican in my Millican Family. The first was Andrew Millican who m Leiticia Cleghorn. (NC-GA) (2) Andrew Jackson m Mary Elvira Scott (GA-AL) (3) James Andrew m Mary Davis Wilson. (AL) This Andrew was my Grandfather, John D. Millican's brother and (3) Andrew J. Millican m Maude Harris.(AL) Andrew # 3 was the son of my Grandfather Millican. None of my Andrew's were married more than once.

                                Yes, Milligan/Miligan/Millican are the same family as far as I know . I read somewhere the original spelling was Milligan but we have spelled it Millican since the 1700 that I know of although it is spelled in various ways on the census.

                                If I find your Andy as I search for Millican's I will let you know. This is a big family and there is a possability there is a connection . Any other Millican Researchers with these names in your tree?

                                Louise Howard