Mud Creek Primitive Baptist Church

  • Regina
    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 17, 2005
      For those of you that haven't heard Mud Creek Primitive Baptist Church at
      the Old Baptist Cemetery in Hollywood, Jackson County, Alabama caught fire
      sometime last week.
      It looks awful, Doubt if they will try to restore it. The cemetery looks
      bad again as it is really growing up. With a little rain the weeds pop up
      all over and the mimosa trees are popping up also. They want to take over
      everything.

    • lewatkins
      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 22, 2005
        Regina, would this be The Baptist Cemetery near Stevenson, AL?
        I just recently learned that Katie BUNCH Payne was buried there.
        Do you know if the cemeteries in Jackson County are on line?
        Thanks,
        Mary
        Researching Bunch, Paris/Parris, Millican, Brewer, Howard.

        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 22, 2005
          Mary

          All the Jackson County Cemeteries are on line
          under Links at the Group home site and at the
          ALGENWEB Jackson Co. Website.

          Clay
        • lewatkins
          Message 4 of 26 , Aug 22, 2005
            Thanks, Clay for your help!
            I think I found the list once but haven't found it recently. I'll go to
            ALGENWEB. What a great site!
            Thanks again,
            Mary
            > All the Jackson County Cemeteries are on line
            > under Links at the Group home site and at the
            > ALGENWEB Jackson Co. Website.
            >
            > Clay
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Regina
            Message 5 of 26 , Aug 22, 2005
              This cemetery is before you get to a railroad tracks. When you turn on Hwy
              33 (I think) going into Hollywood off 72 you turn right on Duncan Hill
              before you get to Hollywood school. I guess it is about three miles up that
              road. Someone that lives close to there could give you better directions.
              It is quite a ways from Stevenson.

              _____

              > For those of you that haven't heard Mud Creek Primitive Baptist Church at
              > the Old Baptist Cemetery in Hollywood, Jackson County, Alabama caught fire
              > sometime last week.
              > It looks awful, Doubt if they will try to restore it. The cemetery looks
              > bad again as it is really growing up. With a little rain the weeds pop up
              > all over and the mimosa trees are popping up also. They want to take over
              > everything.
              >
              > Regina

              _____

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              * Visit your group "jacksongenealogy
              <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jacksongenealogy> " on the web.

              <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

              _____

            • c182c
              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 8, 2008
                If any of the gruop has photos of headstones at Mud Creek I need afavor
                by sending or taking a photo of William Mccarrell(4-15-1821 to 6-19-
                1883).Or is there a website?
                Finally making some headway on my Maccarrells(Mccarrolls).Cant find
                hiswifes(gggrand mom) grave yet .I am certain from family tales she
                passed after Civil War.GGgranddad may have married a Mrs.Mariah Petty
                in 1875 .Thanks
              • rgpipes@hughes.net
                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 8, 2008
                  Is he buried at The Old Baptist Cemetery in Hollywood where The Mud Creek
                  Primitive Church use to be or is he buried a Price Cemetery at Mid Creek?

                  Regina

                  _____

                  If any of the gruop has photos of headstones at Mud Creek I need afavor
                  by sending or taking a photo of William Mccarrell(4--15-1821 to 6-19-
                  1883).Or is there a website?
                  Finally making some headway on my Maccarrells(-Mccarrolls)-.Cant find
                  hiswifes(gggrand mom) grave yet .I am certain from family tales she
                  passed after Civil War.GGgranddad may have married a Mrs.Mariah Petty
                  in 1875 .Thanks

                  Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                  10:06 AM

                  Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                  10:06 AM

                • Stirling Young
                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 9, 2008
                    What I found on usgenweb is the Old Baptist Cemetary at Hollywood.I dont know how I have missed this one cemetary cencus.Shows to not give up as sooner or later a bit of info is there.Thanks,Anson

                    rgpipes@... wrote: Is he buried at The Old Baptist Cemetery in Hollywood where The Mud Creek

                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 9, 2008
                      It is getting close to the time that we will be going to The Old Baptist
                      Cemetery to remove the Christmas flowers and maybe do a little cleaning on
                      our family graves. If you think your family is buried there I will try to
                      find them and take pictures. I had wanted to try to put some sod out on my
                      family graves but haven't gotten around to it. It sure would make it easier
                      to take care of. Let me know and I will see what I can find.

                      Regina

                      _____

                      HYPERLINK "mailto:rgpipes%40hughes.net"rgpipes@hughes.-net wrote: Is he

                      From: HYPERLINK
                      "mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com"jacksongenealogy@-yahoogroups.-co
                      If any of the gruop has photos of headstones at Mud Creek I need afavor
                      by sending or taking a photo of William Mccarrell(4---15-1821 to 6-19-
                      1883).Or is there a website?
                      Finally making some headway on my Maccarrells(--Mccarrolls)--.Cant find
                      hiswifes(gggrand mom) grave yet .I am certain from family tales she
                      passed after Civil War.GGgranddad may have married a Mrs.Mariah Petty
                      in 1875 .Thanks

                      Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                      10:06 AM

                      Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                      10:06 AM

                      Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                      11:54 AM

                      Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                      11:54 AM

                    • billy maynor
                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 9, 2008
                        I'd love to pictures of Maynor and Waller surnames. Thanks!

                        To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.comFrom: rgpipes@...: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 09:36:24 -0600Subject: [jacksongenealogy] Mud Creek Primitive Baptist Church

                        It is getting close to the time that we will be going to The Old BaptistCemetery to remove the Christmas flowers and maybe do a little cleaning onour family graves. If you think your family is buried there I will try tofind them and take pictures. I had wanted to try to put some sod out on myfamily graves but haven't gotten around to it. It sure would make it easierto take care of. Let me know and I will see what I can find.Regina_____ From: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com[mailto:jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Stirling YoungSent: Saturday, February 09, 2008 8:51 AMTo: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.comSubject: RE: [jacksongenealogy] Mud Creek Primitive Baptist ChurchWhat I found on usgenweb is the Old Baptist Cemetary at Hollywood.I dontknow how I have missed this one cemetary cencus.Shows to not give up assooner or later a bit of info is there.Thanks,-AnsonHYPERLINK "mailto:rgpipes%40hughes.net"rgpipes@hughes.-net wrote: Is heburied at The Old Baptist Cemetery in Hollywood where The Mud CreekPrimitive Church use to be or is he buried a Price Cemetery at Mid Creek?Regina_____ From: HYPERLINK"mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com"jacksongenealogy@-yahoogroups.-com[mailto:HYPERLINK"mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com"jacksongenealogy@-yahoogroups.-com] On Behalf Of c182cSent: Friday, February 08, 2008 4:18 PMTo: HYPERLINK"mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com"jacksongenealogy@-yahoogroups.-comSubject: [jacksongenealogy] Mud Creek Primitive Baptist ChurchIf any of the gruop has photos of headstones at Mud Creek I need afavor by sending or taking a photo of William Mccarrell(4---15-1821 to 6-19-1883).Or is there a website?Finally making some headway on my Maccarrells(--Mccarrolls)--.Cant find hiswifes(gggrand mom) grave yet .I am certain from family tales she passed after Civil War.GGgranddad may have married a Mrs.Mariah Petty in 1875 .Thanks No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition.Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.21/1266 - Release Date: 2/8/200810:06 AMNo virus found in this outgoing message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.21/1266 - Release Date: 2/8/200810:06 AM[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]Yahoo! Groups Links------------------------------------Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try itnow.[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition.Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.20.0/1268 - Release Date: 2/9/200811:54 AMNo virus found in this outgoing message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.20.0/1268 - Release Date: 2/9/200811:54 AM[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 9, 2008
                          Bill,

                          What MAYNOR are you looking for?

                          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                          11:54 AM

                          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                          11:54 AM

                        • billy maynor
                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 9, 2008
                            Here are some of the names that I'd love to have pictures for:

                            BART MAYNOR 1865 1939SUSIE MAYNOR 1872 N/A
                            IDA LEE MAYNOR 12-15-1873 2-26-1954ANDY S. MAYNOR 1870 1942
                            JOSEPH C. GRIDER 11-17-1874 3-16-1950ALABAMA COOK 29 US VOLUNTEER INF.EMMA GRIDER 10-20-1878 3-2-1948JOHN W. WALLER 1854 1935SALLIE A. WALLER 1857 1916SAMIRA GRIDER 1852 1944AMOS GRIDER 1844 1904WILLIAM M. GIBSON 12-15-1881 2-17-1928VIRGIE GIBSON WATSON 10-6-1907 5-15-1930MYRTLE EVON GIBSON 1-10-1928 8-5-1928JOHN WILLIAM GIBSON 7-29-1933 8-26-1933BETTY FAYE GIBSON 8-18-1934 8-18-1934CORA A. WALLER 1896 1897WILLIAM A. WALLER 12-14-1890 12-31-1890JETTIE VIOLA WALLER 1892 1895GERTRUDE GIBSON 1902 1904GRANDDAUGHTER
                            ERNEST C. WALLER 1902 1951HAROLD D. WALLER 2-27-1935 3-14-1935SON OF E.C. & THELMA WALLER

                            To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.comFrom: rgpipes@...: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 15:50:15 -0600Subject: [jacksongenealogy] Maynor

                            Bill,What MAYNOR are you looking for?ReginaNo virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition.Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.20.0/1268 - Release Date: 2/9/200811:54 AMNo virus found in this outgoing message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.20.0/1268 - Release Date: 2/9/200811:54 AM[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

                          • Joe Burt
                            Message 13 of 26 , Feb 9, 2008
                              I have a James Erin Wallers md to Lucille Smith. Is he part of your line.
                              JaNelle

                              Message 14 of 26 , Feb 9, 2008
                                My James Erin Wallers was born in 1922 in Jackson Co.

                                Message 15 of 26 , Feb 9, 2008
                                  No, he is not part of the John Waller line that connects to the Maynors. However, he could be part of his siblings' lines.

                                  To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.comFrom: jburt@...: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 20:42:30 -0600Subject: Re: [jacksongenealogy] Maynor

                                  I have a James Erin Wallers md to Lucille Smith. Is he part of your line.JaNellebilly maynor wrote:>>> Here are some of the names that I'd love to have pictures for:>> BART MAYNOR 1865 1939SUSIE MAYNOR 1872 N/A> IDA LEE MAYNOR 12-15-1873 2-26-1954ANDY S. MAYNOR 1870 1942> JOSEPH C. GRIDER 11-17-1874 3-16-1950ALABAMA COOK 29 US VOLUNTEER > INF.EMMA GRIDER 10-20-1878 3-2-1948JOHN W. WALLER 1854 1935SALLIE A. > WALLER 1857 1916SAMIRA GRIDER 1852 1944AMOS GRIDER 1844 1904WILLIAM M. > GIBSON 12-15-1881 2-17-1928VIRGIE GIBSON WATSON 10-6-1907 > 5-15-1930MYRTLE EVON GIBSON 1-10-1928 8-5-1928JOHN WILLIAM GIBSON > 7-29-1933 8-26-1933BETTY FAYE GIBSON 8-18-1934 8-18-1934CORA A. WALLER > 1896 1897WILLIAM A. WALLER 12-14-1890 12-31-1890JETTIE VIOLA WALLER > 1892 1895GERTRUDE GIBSON 1902 1904GRANDDAUGHTER> ERNEST C. WALLER 1902 1951HAROLD D. WALLER 2-27-1935 3-14-1935SON OF > E.C. & THELMA WALLER>>> To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.comFrom > <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.comFrom>: > rgpipes@... <mailto:rgpipes%40hughes.netDate>: Sat, 9 Feb > 2008 15:50:15 -0600Subject: [jacksongenealogy] Maynor>> Bill,What MAYNOR are you looking for?ReginaNo virus found in this > incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition.Version: 7.5.516 / Virus > Database: 269.20.0/1268 - Release Date: 2/9/200811:54 AMNo virus found > in this outgoing message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 > / Virus Database: 269.20.0/1268 - Release Date: 2/9/200811:54 > AM[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]>> __________________________________________________________> Need to know the score, the latest news, or you need your Hotmail®-get > your "fix".> http://www.msnmobilefix.com/Default.aspx > <http://www.msnmobilefix.com/Default.aspx>>> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]>>

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Jul 18, 2012
                                    There is a list of members of the early church at www.trackingyourroots.com/jackson.htm . This church is known as Old Baptist Cemetery in the cemetery listings.

                                    I have never seen anything about the entire church minutes being published. I do know that has happened to some of the early churches in Georgia.

                                  • David Larsen
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Jul 19, 2012
                                      All,

                                      I don't know if this is the same church, but this title is available from
                                      the Tennessee Valley Genealogical Society:

                                      Minutes of the Baptist Church of Jesus Christ on Paint Rock River and Larkin
                                      Fork, Jackson
                                      Co., AL. 96 pages, full name index, Anne Beason Gahan C 1991.....
                                      ..................... .20.00

                                      (http://www.tvgs.org/publications.htm)

                                      Best,

                                      David Larsen

                                      There is a list of members of the early church at
                                      www.trackingyourroots.com/jackson.htm . This church is known as Old Baptist
                                      Cemetery in the cemetery listings.

                                      I have never seen anything about the entire church minutes being published.
                                      I do know that has happened to some of the early churches in Georgia.

                                    • James and Barbara Dooley
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Jul 19, 2012
                                        Can anyone tell us if this is the same as Mud Creek Church?
                                        Barbara

                                      • blackcloud27030@yahoo.com
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Jul 19, 2012
                                          No the church David is talking about is in the Paint Rock Valley.

                                          Mud Creek Primitive Baptist Church is near Bellafonte. Before TVA damned the TN River there was a creek near Bellefonte named Mud Creek. I have a copy of the contract between the county and my Ggrandfather James M. Gullatt to build a bridge across Mud Creek.  Mud Creek Primitive Baptist is the same as Old Baptist in the cemetery listings.

                                          I know of no published source of Mud Creek Primitive Baptist Church minutes.

                                          Clay

                                          ________________________________

                                        • blackcloud27030@yahoo.com
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Jul 19, 2012
                                            Mud Creek Primitive Baptist Church and Cemetery are located Northeast of Hollywood.

                                            Mud Creek was a creek whose mouth was Northeast of Bellefonte and ran from the Northwest into the TN River it is now an inlet of the TVA resevior. On some maps it it still identified as Mud Creek.

                                            Clay

                                            ________________________________

                                            At 10:19 AM 7/19/2012, you wrote:

                                            >All,
                                            >
                                            >I don't know if this is the same church, but this title is available from
                                            >the Tennessee Valley Genealogical Society:
                                            >
                                            >Minutes of the Baptist Church of Jesus Christ on Paint Rock River and Larkin
                                            >Fork, Jackson
                                            >Co., AL. 96 pages, full name index, Anne Beason Gahan C 1991.....
                                            >..................... .20.00
                                            >
                                            >(<http://www.tvgs.org/publications.htm>http://www.tvgs.org/publications.htm)
                                            >
                                            >Best,
                                            >
                                            >David Larsen

                                          • David Larsen
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Jul 19, 2012
                                              Thanks, Clay, for pointing out that the Paint Rock church is a different church, though I think it was associated with the Mud Creek Primitive Baptist Association.

                                              I notice that some minutes of the Mud Creek Association of Primitive Baptists going back to 1876 are available on the Internet Archive:

                                              http://archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22Mud%20Creek%20Primitive%20Baptist%20Association%22

                                              These aren’t the same as the minutes of Old Baptist church, but you might find some names of interest listed there.

                                              Best,

                                              David

                                              At 10:19 AM 7/19/2012, you wrote:

                                              >All,
                                              >
                                              >I don't know if this is the same church, but this title is available from
                                              >the Tennessee Valley Genealogical Society:
                                              >
                                              >Minutes of the Baptist Church of Jesus Christ on Paint Rock River and Larkin
                                              >Fork, Jackson
                                              >Co., AL. 96 pages, full name index, Anne Beason Gahan C 1991.....
                                              >..................... .20.00
                                              >
                                              >(<http://www.tvgs.org/publications.htm>http://www.tvgs.org/publications.htm)
                                              >
                                              >Best,
                                              >
                                              >David Larsen

                                            • James and Barbara Dooley
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Jul 19, 2012
                                                Thank you, Clay.
                                                Barbara

                                                At 01:19 PM 7/19/2012, you wrote:

                                                >No the church David is talking about is in the Paint Rock Valley.

                                                >Mud Creek Primitive Baptist Church is near Bellafonte. Before TVA
                                                >damned the TN River there was a creek near Bellefonte named Mud Creek. I
                                                >have a copy of the contract between the county and my Ggrandfather James
                                                >M. Gullatt to build a bridge across Mud Creek.  Mud Creek Primitive
                                                >Baptist is the same as Old Baptist in the cemetery listings.

                                                >I know of no published source of Mud Creek Primitive Baptist Church
                                                >minutes.Â

                                                >Clay
                                                >

                                                >________________________________
                                                >From: James and Barbara Dooley

                                              • SHEILA MCCLOUD
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Jul 21, 2012
                                                  I have some of the minutes of that association.  I hope to publish them when time permits.  My gg grandfather was the clerk and some of his family were the the traveling preachers.  He was Richard Seay.

                                                  >No the church David is talking about is in the Paint Rock Valley.

                                                  >Mud Creek Primitive Baptist Church is near Bellafonte. Before TVA
                                                  >damned the TN River there was a creek near Bellefonte named Mud Creek. I
                                                  >have a copy of the contract between the county and my Ggrandfather James
                                                  >M. Gullatt to build a bridge across Mud Creek.  Mud Creek Primitive
                                                  >Baptist is the same as Old Baptist in the cemetery listings.

                                                  >I know of no published source of Mud Creek Primitive Baptist Church
                                                  >minutes.Â

                                                  >Clay
                                                  >

                                                  >________________________________
                                                  >From: James and Barbara Dooley

                                                • James and Barbara Dooley
                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Jul 21, 2012
                                                    I'll look forward to your publication. I'm interested to know if the
                                                    Richard Wilson who was active in the Mud Creek association might have been
                                                    my gt.gt.grandfather, who had been active as a Baptist preacher in McMinn
                                                    Co., TN. Some of my Wilson ancestors, including my father, his siblings,
                                                    his father, his grandmother, and his grandaunt later lived in Jackson Co.,
                                                    so there was definitely a family connection in the area.

                                                    Barbara Dooley

                                                    At 10:27 AM 7/21/2012, you wrote:

                                                    >I have some of the minutes of that association. I hope to publish them
                                                    >when time permits. My gg grandfather was the clerk and some of his
                                                    >family were the the traveling preachers. He was Richard Seay.
                                                    >
                                                    >--- On Thu, 7/19/12, James and Barbara Dooley
                                                    ><<mailto:jb.dooley100%40gmail.com>jb.dooley100@...> wrote:
                                                    >
                                                    >From: James and Barbara Dooley
                                                    ><<mailto:jb.dooley100%40gmail.com>jb.dooley100@...>
                                                    >Subject: Re: [jacksongenealogy] Mud Creek Primitive Baptist Church
                                                    ><mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                                                    >Date: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 6:03 PM
                                                    >

                                                    >Thank you, Clay.
                                                    >Barbara

                                                  • Larry Williams
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Jul 21, 2012
                                                      a lot of people from Meigs & McMinn Counties settled in Jackson County for
                                                      some reaseon.

                                                      On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 4:11 PM, James and Barbara Dooley <
                                                      jb.dooley100@...> wrote:

                                                      > **
                                                      >

                                                      > I'll look forward to your publication. I'm interested to know if the
                                                      > Richard Wilson who was active in the Mud Creek association might have been
                                                      > my gt.gt.grandfather, who had been active as a Baptist preacher in McMinn
                                                      > Co., TN. Some of my Wilson ancestors, including my father, his siblings,
                                                      > his father, his grandmother, and his grandaunt later lived in Jackson Co.,
                                                      > so there was definitely a family connection in the area.
                                                      >
                                                      > Barbara Dooley
                                                      >
                                                      > At 10:27 AM 7/21/2012, you wrote:
                                                      > >

                                                      > >I have some of the minutes of that association.� I hope to publish them
                                                      > >when time permits.� My gg grandfather was the clerk and some of his
                                                      > >family were the the traveling preachers.� He was Richard Seay.
                                                      > >
                                                      > >--- On Thu, 7/19/12, James and Barbara Dooley
                                                      > ><<mailto:jb.dooley100%40gmail.com>jb.dooley100@...> wrote:
                                                      > >
                                                      > >From: James and Barbara Dooley
                                                      > ><<mailto:jb.dooley100%40gmail.com>jb.dooley100@...>
                                                      > >Subject: Re: [jacksongenealogy] Mud Creek Primitive Baptist Church
                                                      > ><mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>
                                                      > jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com
                                                      > >Date: Thursday, July 19, 2012, 6:03 PM
                                                      > >
                                                      > >�
                                                      > >
                                                      > >Thank you, Clay.
                                                      > >Barbara
                                                      > >
                                                      > >At 01:19 PM 7/19/2012, you wrote:

                                                      Larry G. Williams
                                                      Co-Director, Agrimissions
                                                      43 Crisp Lane
                                                      Trenton, GA 30752
                                                      (423) 240-2089 Cell/Business
                                                      agrimissions.williams@...
                                                      lgwilliams1947@...
                                                      http://agrimissions.com
                                                      http://themissionsociety.org

                                                    • James and Barbara Dooley
                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Jul 21, 2012
                                                        Thanks, Larry. I had wondered if that might not be the case. Do you
                                                        happen to have surnames of McMinn Co. people?

                                                        Barbara