Re: numbers in the 1850 census

  • nsiler504@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2005
      I have pondered the question about the numbers near names in the 1850 census
      records. I studied my copy of the book and the only thing I can decide is
      that someone was double checking himself. Each time there was a number there
      there were marks in the area where it was marked for school attendance, married
      within the last year, and the third thing there. Maybe someone was trying to
      make sure he made no mistakes by counting the various columns to make sure.