Cox Family

  • jlcox37@mindspring.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 11, 2000
      I am trying to find information about my Grandparents, John Cox, DOB
      8/18/1865(?), Mattie (Martha?) Henson, DOB 9/4/1868. They had a farm
      around Stevenson, Crow Creek Valley. My Grandfather was the only
      child and his mother was remarried after his father was killed in the
      WBTS before he was borned. From the information collected I think his
      father was William F. Cox that married Mary A. Kirkpatrick in 1863
      which fits the time frame. I can not find any information my
      Grandmother Henson side of the family. John Cox sold his farm between
      1905-1908 and moved his family to Gadsden(Alabama City),Ala.. His
      children borned in Jackson County were Elizabeth(Lizzie), Lee, Fay,
      Hollis, Will(William), Tom, and Lacy.

      I would appreciate any information/help on this matter.

      Thank you,

      Jack Cox
    • LElectrica@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 17, 2003
        I am just beginning to research my Cox ancestors. Here are the few
        names that I know so if any of these look familiar please contact me.

        My great-grandmother's name was Tabytha Jane COX STATUM (b. 16 Dec
        1877, Jackson Co., AL d. 16 Jul 1944, Huntsville, AL)

        Her father was Boyd COX (b. ? d. ? Dallas Co., TX) and her mother's
        first name was Eliza. I have no record that shows her mother's maiden name.

        Tabytha also had a sister named Emmie COX SIMMS. I do not know if
        Tabytha had any other siblings.

        In the marriage records I found an M. B. B. COX listed as the groom
        of an Eliza PINSON. They were married 15 June 1876. A J. H. GARLAND signed
        the bond with M. B. B. COX. I have heard relatives talk about a "Grandma"
        GARLAND before, but I cannot trace back that far yet. I also heard that the COX
        family is related to the SNODGRASS family. If anyone has any information or
        suggestions please let me know.

        Thanks,
        Jason Statum

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 20, 2003
          Jason

          1930 Madison County AL Census Lincoln Dist. 20 Precinct Part 7
          house #143
          Taby Statum Head age 52 Widowed b. AL AL AL
          James L Son age 17 single b. AL AL AL Carder Cotten Mill
          Richard A Son age 22 Widowed b. AL AL AL Carder Cotten Mill
          Ruby Cauyreel?? Dau age 19 age of first marriage 15 AL AL AL Frame Hand Cotten Mill
          can't make out Ruby's last name.

          House #98
          1900 Jackson County AL Census Tupelo Precinct
          Emmanuel Easley Head b. Apr 1842 58 married 34 yr TN AL TN Farmer
          Francis Wife b. Jun 1841 59 married 34 yr TN VA VA
          James Statum Nephew b. Nov 1876 23 married 3 yr TN TN TN Farmer
          Tabitha " Niece b. Dec 1877 22 married 3 yr AL AL AL
          Mann D. " Gdnephew b. Feb 1899 01 AL TN AL

          1880 Census Jackson Co. AL From www.familysearch.org
          Coon Cox Self married male white 22 b. VA farmer AL TN
          Jane Cox Wife married female white 20 b. AL house keeping AL AL
          Infant Cox Son single male white -- b. AL at home VA AL
          Edney Pinson MotherL female white 60 AL AL AL
          the sex of the infant is probably wrong and this is Tabitha, the following will tie this together.

          1870 Census Jackson Co. AL Township 3 Range 4 Scottsboro P.O.
          House # 107
          Edney Pinson age 38 female white Keeping House b. TN
          Hannah C. age 21 female white House Work TN
          Martha J. age 19 female white House Work AL
          Eliza age 14 female white At School AL
          Anderson age 09 male white AT School AL

          1860 Census Jackson Co. AL Township 4 Range 5 East
          house #388
          Edmond Pinson age 53 male farmer GA
          Edna age 37 female TN
          Elizabeth 23 female AL
          Nilson 22 male AL farm labor
          William 20 male AL farm labor
          Margaret 16 female AL
          James 11 male AL
          Mary 06 female AL
          Eliza 01 female AL
          Hannah Ballard 11 female b. TN

          Full Name was Eliza Jane Pinson. Apparently M.B.B. Cox didn't like his given names.

          Errors on the census are common, my great-grandfather James M. Gullatt is indexed as as James M. Gullalt (lt not tt) and his youngest son John Alva as a female . The most common error is the age. A some of it is the census taker, some is the indexer and some because they asked the neighbors if there wasn't anyone home to answer to questions..

          Edna Pinson's birth year ranges from 1820 to 1832 using the ages given, 1820 is probably right and would agree with Edmond Pinson's birth year of 1817.

          Clay Gullatt, Mount Airy NC

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 20, 2003
            Correct James Statum's uncles name to Lemmanuel Easlar.