Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

New finding? WBTS Sherman at Larkin's Landing in Jackson County

Expand Messages
  • Richard Matthews
    I enjoy reading about part of the War Between the States fought in Jackson County. Just today I read something from a union soldiers diary that I had never
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8 10:40 AM
      I enjoy reading about part of the War Between the States fought in
      Jackson County. Just today I read something from a union soldiers
      diary that I had never heard before. Union General Sherman came up
      from Mississippi to Bridgeport, Alabama preparing for the battle at
      Chattanooga, and his march to Atlanta. Read this account and you
      will find that there was two pontoon bridges across the river at
      Larkin' Landing that were used by Shermans troops as he marched from
      Mississippi To Bridgeport.

      A pontoon bridge was also built at Capertons Ferry where are the
      troops massed at Stevenson, crossed the river on their way to

      COMPANY "G"
      147th REGIMENT
      Written by Second Lieutenant, William H. Schroyer

      We again moved up the river and finally reached Bridgeport
      and our camp well pleased with the little outing. The only
      casualties were two men wounded, one shot thru the neck and another
      thru the shoulder, the same ball which barely missed the writer
      making both wounds. Several shots were fired by bushwhackers from
      the mountains as we were going down the river.

      Everything was now getting ready in camp for the opening of
      our Spring campaign. Sherman's army, which was forming a junction
      with us, was still arriving from Mississippi. On Monday May 2, a
      detail was made the writer being one of the chosen ones, to go down
      to Larkin's Landing with the steamboat and take up the two pontoon
      bridges over which Sherman's army crossed the Tennessee River to
      Bridgeport. Colonel Pardee, of the 147th, was in command of this
      detail, numbering about 150 men. We tied up over night at the
      landing after a trip of 30 miles. On the morning of the 24, Tuesday,
      we got the pontoons in shape and started up the river, but when we
      reached Bridgeport the entire army had left camp and was on the
      march to the front. The same day this detail started down the river
      the army broke camp and marched towards Chattanooga.

      Tuesday, May 2, Opening of the
      Atlanta Campaign

      When our boat arrived at Bridgeport we anchored in the river,
      while Colonel Pardee went to the railroad telegraph once for orders.
      General Sherman telegraphed him to come on at once and join his
      command, then in the vicinity of Chattanooga, 24 miles away. We
      disembarked at once and started for the front. It being late in the
      day, we only marched a few miles, when night overtook us and we
      encamped in the corner of a large field. Sherman's troops going to
      the front marched on the public road, while our detail had to march
      on the railroad. This was one of our hardest marches, to catch up to
      our regiment.

      We had scarcely anything to eat, for both Confederate and our
      armies had passed over this road and the country was cleaned up of
      everything edible. We joined the regiment late in the day on
      Thursday, the 5th, The boys were all glad to see us and cheered us
      heartily, when we reached them. We too were happy and glad to get
      back to the regiment.
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.