Re: [jacksongenealogy] Old news

  • Karl Plenge
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 6, 2005
      Some of these are quite funny, many are quite sad, but all are appreciated,
      and I know it was a lot of work to type them all in. Thank you for sharing
      them with us, it is quite likely someone will see a name they need in one of
      them.
    • Sanders, Dennis R.
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 6, 2005
        Extremely interesting, thanks for submitting
        Dennis Sanders
        Union, Ky.

        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 6, 2005
          Richard, would you object to my including your "Old News" on our Northeast Alabama Genealogical Society web site?
          http://www.rootsweb.com/~alneags/index.html

          I know there are others in our Society who have ancestors in Jackson County. One posted a query in our quarterly magazine that was answered last week on jacksongenealogy.

          Thanks,

          Pat Alexander
          Jacksonville, AL
            I have no problem with it. The files have been published elsewhere on the
            internet already.
            Richard

            On 7/6/05, Pat Alexander <walex1@...> wrote:

            > Richard, would you object to my including your "Old News" on our Northeast
            > Alabama Genealogical Society web site?
            > http://www.rootsweb.com/~alneags/index.html
            >
            > I know there are others in our Society who have ancestors in Jackson
            > County. One posted a query in our quarterly magazine that was answered last
            > week on jacksongenealogy.
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Pat Alexander

          • Sharon
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 6, 2005
              Thank you, Richard! It is great to be able to reach out and "touch" those
              days in Jackson County. I had been thankful that my grandmother, who grew up
              in Jackson County during the period of these articles, did not have to live
              in our crime-ridden century! Now I see that, although many things change
              throughout the decades, ...some things remain the same. As for these
              articles, if you find more, please continue to share. Thanks again. Sharon

[...]

              Scottsboro. An old grudge was was [sic] the cause of the tragedy.

              -----------

              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 6, 2005
                Sharon's comments and Richard's clippings reminded me of something I saw
                while going through the December 1881 editions of the Columbus, GA,
                newspaper on microfilm recently. I want to pass it on, both as a novelty,
                and also to ask if anyone has ever heard of this "tradition" elsewhere.

                The paper's columnist was harkening back to "the good old days" (he actually
                used that term, we only think it's a new term!) of approximately 20 years
                past when there was a tradition at Christmas (I believe on Christmas eve) of
                teens sneaking out of their homes, imbibing in "Christmas spirits," and then
                sneaking up outside the windows of unsuspecting sleeping citizens and
                scaring the bejeebers out of them by firing off firearms just outside their
                window.

                I am not sure why that constitutes "the good old days," I would be inclined
                to fire back if anyone had done that to me, but I am wondering if anyone
                else has ever heard of anything like this?
              • zrcb@aol.com
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 6, 2005
                  Richard
                  I really like the old stories and obits that you are including in Jackson
                  genealogy. If you ever run acrossan obit on Robert Boyd who died August 10
                  1888 near Bellefonte. It is in the Progressive Age. I would appreciat it if
                  you ran that. He was my Ggrandfather. My Ggrandmother was Mary Waller also of
                  Jackson Co. Sure do wish I knew where they were buried. He died in 1888 and
                  she died abt 1912
                  both in Jackson Co Al.
                  Thank You
                  Chuck Boyd

                • Joy Smith
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 8, 2005
                    Richard, Thank you. These were very interesting. When my sis & I went to Fayetteville a few months back, and looked at some old court records, we laughed our heads off at the wording of some of them.
                    One man "maliciously, viciously, wickedly and will ill intent called ____ an SOB". Another man's wife, whom he treated with "the utmost honor and respect" ran off to a "bawdy house" in Nashville.... These are just 2 examples. We laugh now, but reporting (including court reporting) was high drama. Thanks. JOY