RE: [jacksongenealogy] PAINT ROCK VALLEY - Canes

  • JASON THOMAS
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 2, 2005
      I would be interested in a new cane too.

      Jason Thomas

      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 4, 2005
        Ann: I notice that a bunch of folks are interested in the canes. I am
        interested in obtaining one of those T-shirts! How do we go about ordering?
        Sharon
        jenlou@...

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 7, 2005
          Another one of my long winders is coming on. I
          guess it is the result of being a retired Navy
          Weatherman.

          A word or two about the Jackson County Historical
          Association,The Heritage Center and the
          Scottsboro Library. These organizations have done
          yeoman work in preserving Jackson County's
          History including many of the old papers in the
          courthouse, Historical Buildings and Cemeteries
          and Homes of Jackson County. Where would you go
          in Jackson County to learn about its history and
          people if not for these organizations. Ann
          Chambless has been at this for probably more
          years than she wishes to tell us and nice two of
          my cousins said she gave them a complete tour of
          the county!

          Many people have spent large sums to preserve old
          buildings and homes among them my cousin Betty
          Gullatt Budlong in restoring and preserving the
          old Gullatt Farm House accepted for historic
          status by PreserveALA and shortly the National
          Registor of Historic Places, one more place for
          you to visit.

          Much more stills needs to be done. All this costs
          money with little or no money forth coming from
          the state or local governments now or in the
          future, it falls on these organizations to raise
          money through memeberships and donations and with
          volunteer labor.

          In particular many of the oldest cemeteries in
          Jackson County are overgrown and is decrepit
          conditions with many unmarked graves just sunken
          holes in many places. The volunteers with the
          ALGENWEB Jackson County have done the hard work
          of surveying these old cemeteries. Look at the
          list of names on the top of the cemerery lists,
          these are the people we should each be giving a
          heartfelt THANK YOU too for braving the snakes,
          chiggers, weather and assorted other critters to
          make those lists.

          The newer cemeteries are kept but many of the
          older are not, my cousins tell me that the
          Pauper's Cemetery atop Poor House Mountain has
          been logged and gone back to the wild. Sorry for
          all of you who have family burried there.

          Hopefully a new and updated series of books on
          Jackson County Cemeteries will be published soon.
          HERITAGE CENTER any up date on when?

          The work of Jackson Genealogy Group and the
          ALGENWEB Jackson County Website (for which we
          have Richard Matthews to thank for both) is all
          volunteer, we do not accept donations, it does
          not cost you a penny other than what you paid for
          a computer and to go on line, if you go to a
          libraby it is all free. We are dedicated to
          bringing you free genealogy.

          Time is running out on many of the old documents
          as the ravages of time catch up with then and
          they crumble into dust and as the old bulidings
          fall down. Even worst is some counties clerks are
          destroying the old papers to make room for new.
          This has happened in VA and I am sure elsewhere.
          It is up to our generation to do all we can to
          perserve them.

          I urge all of you to join you local Historical
          and Genealogical Society, Join the Jackson County
          Historical Association they are your voice with
          the county and state officals who are in charge
          of those documents. Let them know those documents
          belong to the citzens not to the county clerks or
          state officials. If we allow these documents to
          be destroyed or to crumble to dust and the
          buildings to fall down then it is our fault and
          no one else's. Besides by joing JCHA you will get
          Chronicles and with that facts, stories and info
          about Jackson County that those who don't belong
          won't get.

          I would also like to say I have heard only one or
          two negative comments about the, Courthouse,
          History Center and the Library all others have
          been about how nice and welcoming the people were
          and how helpful. If Jackson County is like Surry
          County NC tourism is a big business now and
          growing fast because all other business is
          leaving fast. It pays to be nice and keep them
          coming back.

          There are over 300 people on this mailing list
          and more joining each day, surely just about all
          can afford the small sum to join the JHCA and to
          donate a dollar or two to the Cemetery Cleanup
          Fund. They are continuing work on old Bellefonte
          Cemetery and have found some head stones never
          seen before. The County Sheriff is providing
          trusty labor with the harder work, but much still
          needs to be done. All you have to do is read the
          comments from each surveyor at the top of each
          cemetery list to know what needs to be done. If
          you can get to Jackson County VOLUNTEER! Ann will
          post when and where work is to be done.

          This ends my rant for the month.

          PS: Just think how much it would have cost to
          have hired a professional genealogist to research
          and smash those brickwalls such as I have done
          for so many of you and just for the pure joy of
          solving a mystery. Love those mystery books!

          Clay Gullatt
          Moderator
          Mount Airy NC
        • Sharon
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 7, 2005
            Clay: You DESERVE to be long winded! I, for one, wish I had more ways to
            thank ALL the folks in Jackson County who have helped me over the last five
            years with my research on the Tribble and Rogers/Rodgers families. With my
            grandmother's early beginnings one huge brick wall, and with the certain
            knowledge that she did grow up, marry, and have children in Jackson Co. in
            the late 1800's, early 1900's (on top of Nat Mountain, no less!), I have
            discovered a" mountain" of information due to the efforts of Karen Chambers
            of Woodville Library, Ann Chambliss and others in the Historical
            Association, Wendell Page of Scottsboro, Joyce Kennamer, the librarians and
            courthouse personnel at Scottsboro, Ann Gant of the Tax and Appraiser's
            office (who is still toiling away for me),....I could go on and on. In
            addition, I have been "led" by some of these folk to some of the oldest
            residents of the county and have spoken with several by phone. In each and
            every case, they have filled my ears and my heart with the flavor, the
            sights, sounds, smells, stories and atmosphere of Jackson County and of
            Woodville, Paint Rock and Nat Mountain in particular. I have been able to
            trace my grandmother's foster family way back....am now working diligently
            to find her biological parents whose first names I do not even know. And,
            the folks of Jackson County, being aware of this, are STILL out there trying
            to help me! My grandmother, whom I never knew, has left enough evidence
            behind to let me know that she dearly loved her foster family and the place
            where she was raised....so I have gathered all the information I can get
            about that place and its people. I have intentions to one day visit and
            also to think of ways to "give back" what was given to her and have several
            ideas in mind. But, you are so right, Clay; we must do all we can to
            preserve all that is there. I will be taking some of my own steps very
            soon. I publicly want to thank all those I have named above, many others,
            and you, too, Clay! Sharon in Wisconsin

            Heritage Center, Old Bellefonte and other Historic Cemeteries

> [...]
            > and more joining each day, surely just about all
            > can afford the small sum to join the JHCA and to
            > donate a dollar or two to the Cemetery Cleanup
            > Fund. They are continuing work on old Bellefonte
            > Cemetery and have found some head stones never
            > seen before. The County Sheriff is providing
            > trusty labor with the harder work, but much still
            > needs to be done. All you have to do is read the
            > comments from each surveyor at the top of each
            > cemetery list to know what needs to be done. If
            > you can get to Jackson County VOLUNTEER! Ann will
            > post when and where work is to be done.
            >
            > This ends my rant for the month.
            >
            > PS: Just think how much it would have cost to
            > have hired a professional genealogist to research
            > and smash those brickwalls such as I have done
            > for so many of you and just for the pure joy of
            > solving a mystery. Love those mystery books!

          • Charles McCutchen
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 7, 2005
              Clay,

              On the algen Jackson County page I can find the address to mail dues in but not the actual dues amount. Can we have Ann clarify the dues and have Richard add this to the algen Jackson County page?

              Jackson County Historical Association
              Jackson County Historical Association meets quarterly in January, April, July, and October. . Members receive THE JACKSON COUNTY CHRONICLES which announce date, time, and place of meeting each quarter. Historical essays which define Jackson County people, landmarks, and events have been published in THE CHRONICLES each quarter since 1976. Mail your dues to TREASURER, JACKSON COUNTY HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION, P. O. Box 1494, Scottsboro, AL 35768-1494. To contact the Editor of THE JACKSON COUNTY CHRONICLES, please email abc@... or direct snail mail to Ann B. Chambless, 435 Barbee Lane, Scottsboro, AL 35769-3745.

              The Jackson County Historical Association has republished THE HISTORY OF JACKSON COUNTY, ALABAMA by John R. Kennamer, Sr., 1935 edition. The price of the book by mail is $23.00. Allow ten days for processing. Please mail book order to HISTORY BOOK, P. O. Box 1494, Scottsboro, AL 35768-1494 and include name and mailing address. Books may be purchased/picked up for $20.00 at the Scottsboro Public Library or the Scottsboro-Jackson County Heritage Center.

              clay gullatt <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:

[...]

              Genealogy information Family home Cellular phone family plan Family genealogy Family vacations Genealogy family tree

              The McCutchen Trace

              http://mccutchentrace.com

            • frances_lambert2000
              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 7, 2005
                Clay thanks again for all the help you have given me with census look
                ups. The 1920 Hollabend arkansas had more information on it . Ifound
                a post that that George HAWKINs sister married a Ellison . On the
                1920 census they were living next door to Cordelia.Thanks for the
                census image.
                I have got to go to the Gullatt farm house one weekend. That was one
                of my favorite places to live.I learned to ride a bike there we had a
                horse that we would cilmb out of the barnloft on and ride around No
                bridle or saddle. I've been hoping for a a pretty weekend but Jackson
                county seems to be getting lots of rain.
                I haven't been on Poorhouse mountain sense I was about 9 or 10 .
                It has one of the best veiws of Jackson County you can get.
                Jackson County is beautiful at this time of the year Blackberrys and
                Huckleberrys are ripe and lots of flowers are in bloom .

                Clay how would you get a cemetery In the new book?

                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 7, 2005
                  Frances

                  I would have thought the books would be at the
                  publisher by now or already printed. The Heritage
                  Center should know whether or not it is too late
                  to add anything.

                  The New Cemetery Books will NOT be by cemetery
                  but alphabetized by Surname, some surnames with
                  a large number of people might have a book all to
                  their self, other surnames will be combined in a
                  volume.

                  The rights to the books are asigned to the
                  Heritage Center. I think there was a new survey
                  of the cemeteries before this was to be
                  published. This is about all I know of the books.

                  Clay
                • frances_lambert2000
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 7, 2005
                    Thanks Clay I'll check the next time I'm in scottsboro. I know the
                    cemetery that I'm talking about didn't make the books. It is in the
                    woods in the Flatrock Area off of countyroad 687 There is two
                    headstones that you can read: Anderson Gordon b: 8 June 1808 d:18 Jan
                    1884 His wife Elizabeth Gorden b:10 may 1808 d:3 aug 1897 I was told
                    that other graves should names but can't find anymore names there is
                    at least six more rocks marking graves. They Logged and nearly
                    destroyed this cemetery Too.
                    I have done a little research on Anderson Gordon family. They Had 7
                    girls and 1 boy I think that the boy died young he is on the 1850
                    census age 1 but not on the 1860 census. Here Is some of the Names
                    I have found that the Girls married into OVERDEER, HOUGE, CORDELL,

                    <blackcloud27030@y...> wrote:
                    > Frances
                    >
                    > I would have thought the books would be at the
                    > publisher by now or already printed. The Heritage
                    > Center should know whether or not it is too late
                    > to add anything.
                    >
                    > The New Cemetery Books will NOT be by cemetery
                    > but alphabetized by Surname, some surnames with
                    > a large number of people might have a book all to
                    > their self, other surnames will be combined in a
                    > volume.
                    >
                    > The rights to the books are asigned to the
                    > Heritage Center. I think there was a new survey
                    > of the cemeteries before this was to be
                    > published. This is about all I know of the books.
                    >
                    > Clay
                  • Kay Wollfe
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 7, 2005
                      Please remove my email from your list.