Re: [jacksongenealogy] PAINT ROCK VALLEY

  • Jewel Casey
    Message 1 of 13 , Jul 1, 2005
      Ann, thank you so very, very much for this information. So glad Judy and others have taken the time to put all of this together. Will there be copies of all this info available for those of us who do not live close?

      Thanks to all
      Jewel
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1, 2005
        Ann,

        How can I find out how to buy the Tshirt and cane?

        Geri Beaver
        beaver450@...

        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 1, 2005
          Ann

          I sure could use a new cane. What is the address
          and prices.

          Clay
        • JASON THOMAS
          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 2, 2005
            I would be interested in a new cane too.

            Jason Thomas

            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 4, 2005
              Ann: I notice that a bunch of folks are interested in the canes. I am
              interested in obtaining one of those T-shirts! How do we go about ordering?
              Sharon
              jenlou@...

              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 7, 2005
                Another one of my long winders is coming on. I
                guess it is the result of being a retired Navy
                Weatherman.

                A word or two about the Jackson County Historical
                Association,The Heritage Center and the
                Scottsboro Library. These organizations have done
                yeoman work in preserving Jackson County's
                History including many of the old papers in the
                courthouse, Historical Buildings and Cemeteries
                and Homes of Jackson County. Where would you go
                in Jackson County to learn about its history and
                people if not for these organizations. Ann
                Chambless has been at this for probably more
                years than she wishes to tell us and nice two of
                my cousins said she gave them a complete tour of
                the county!

                Many people have spent large sums to preserve old
                buildings and homes among them my cousin Betty
                Gullatt Budlong in restoring and preserving the
                old Gullatt Farm House accepted for historic
                status by PreserveALA and shortly the National
                Registor of Historic Places, one more place for
                you to visit.

                Much more stills needs to be done. All this costs
                money with little or no money forth coming from
                the state or local governments now or in the
                future, it falls on these organizations to raise
                money through memeberships and donations and with
                volunteer labor.

                In particular many of the oldest cemeteries in
                Jackson County are overgrown and is decrepit
                conditions with many unmarked graves just sunken
                holes in many places. The volunteers with the
                ALGENWEB Jackson County have done the hard work
                of surveying these old cemeteries. Look at the
                list of names on the top of the cemerery lists,
                these are the people we should each be giving a
                heartfelt THANK YOU too for braving the snakes,
                chiggers, weather and assorted other critters to
                make those lists.

                The newer cemeteries are kept but many of the
                older are not, my cousins tell me that the
                Pauper's Cemetery atop Poor House Mountain has
                been logged and gone back to the wild. Sorry for
                all of you who have family burried there.

                Hopefully a new and updated series of books on
                Jackson County Cemeteries will be published soon.
                HERITAGE CENTER any up date on when?

                The work of Jackson Genealogy Group and the
                ALGENWEB Jackson County Website (for which we
                have Richard Matthews to thank for both) is all
                volunteer, we do not accept donations, it does
                not cost you a penny other than what you paid for
                a computer and to go on line, if you go to a
                libraby it is all free. We are dedicated to
                bringing you free genealogy.

                Time is running out on many of the old documents
                as the ravages of time catch up with then and
                they crumble into dust and as the old bulidings
                fall down. Even worst is some counties clerks are
                destroying the old papers to make room for new.
                This has happened in VA and I am sure elsewhere.
                It is up to our generation to do all we can to
                perserve them.

                I urge all of you to join you local Historical
                and Genealogical Society, Join the Jackson County
                Historical Association they are your voice with
                the county and state officals who are in charge
                of those documents. Let them know those documents
                belong to the citzens not to the county clerks or
                state officials. If we allow these documents to
                be destroyed or to crumble to dust and the
                buildings to fall down then it is our fault and
                no one else's. Besides by joing JCHA you will get
                Chronicles and with that facts, stories and info
                about Jackson County that those who don't belong
                won't get.

                I would also like to say I have heard only one or
                two negative comments about the, Courthouse,
                History Center and the Library all others have
                been about how nice and welcoming the people were
                and how helpful. If Jackson County is like Surry
                County NC tourism is a big business now and
                growing fast because all other business is
                leaving fast. It pays to be nice and keep them
                coming back.

                There are over 300 people on this mailing list
                and more joining each day, surely just about all
                can afford the small sum to join the JHCA and to
                donate a dollar or two to the Cemetery Cleanup
                Fund. They are continuing work on old Bellefonte
                Cemetery and have found some head stones never
                seen before. The County Sheriff is providing
                trusty labor with the harder work, but much still
                needs to be done. All you have to do is read the
                comments from each surveyor at the top of each
                cemetery list to know what needs to be done. If
                you can get to Jackson County VOLUNTEER! Ann will
                post when and where work is to be done.

                This ends my rant for the month.

                PS: Just think how much it would have cost to
                have hired a professional genealogist to research
                and smash those brickwalls such as I have done
                for so many of you and just for the pure joy of
                solving a mystery. Love those mystery books!

                Clay Gullatt
                Moderator
                Mount Airy NC
              • Sharon
                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 7, 2005
                  Clay: You DESERVE to be long winded! I, for one, wish I had more ways to
                  thank ALL the folks in Jackson County who have helped me over the last five
                  years with my research on the Tribble and Rogers/Rodgers families. With my
                  grandmother's early beginnings one huge brick wall, and with the certain
                  knowledge that she did grow up, marry, and have children in Jackson Co. in
                  the late 1800's, early 1900's (on top of Nat Mountain, no less!), I have
                  discovered a" mountain" of information due to the efforts of Karen Chambers
                  of Woodville Library, Ann Chambliss and others in the Historical
                  Association, Wendell Page of Scottsboro, Joyce Kennamer, the librarians and
                  courthouse personnel at Scottsboro, Ann Gant of the Tax and Appraiser's
                  office (who is still toiling away for me),....I could go on and on. In
                  addition, I have been "led" by some of these folk to some of the oldest
                  residents of the county and have spoken with several by phone. In each and
                  every case, they have filled my ears and my heart with the flavor, the
                  sights, sounds, smells, stories and atmosphere of Jackson County and of
                  Woodville, Paint Rock and Nat Mountain in particular. I have been able to
                  trace my grandmother's foster family way back....am now working diligently
                  to find her biological parents whose first names I do not even know. And,
                  the folks of Jackson County, being aware of this, are STILL out there trying
                  to help me! My grandmother, whom I never knew, has left enough evidence
                  behind to let me know that she dearly loved her foster family and the place
                  where she was raised....so I have gathered all the information I can get
                  about that place and its people. I have intentions to one day visit and
                  also to think of ways to "give back" what was given to her and have several
                  ideas in mind. But, you are so right, Clay; we must do all we can to
                  preserve all that is there. I will be taking some of my own steps very
                  soon. I publicly want to thank all those I have named above, many others,
                  and you, too, Clay! Sharon in Wisconsin

                  Heritage Center, Old Bellefonte and other Historic Cemeteries

> [...]
                  > and more joining each day, surely just about all
                  > can afford the small sum to join the JHCA and to
                  > donate a dollar or two to the Cemetery Cleanup
                  > Fund. They are continuing work on old Bellefonte
                  > Cemetery and have found some head stones never
                  > seen before. The County Sheriff is providing
                  > trusty labor with the harder work, but much still
                  > needs to be done. All you have to do is read the
                  > comments from each surveyor at the top of each
                  > cemetery list to know what needs to be done. If
                  > you can get to Jackson County VOLUNTEER! Ann will
                  > post when and where work is to be done.
                  >
                  > This ends my rant for the month.
                  >
                  > PS: Just think how much it would have cost to
                  > have hired a professional genealogist to research
                  > and smash those brickwalls such as I have done
                  > for so many of you and just for the pure joy of
                  > solving a mystery. Love those mystery books!

                • Charles McCutchen
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 7, 2005
                    Clay,

                    On the algen Jackson County page I can find the address to mail dues in but not the actual dues amount. Can we have Ann clarify the dues and have Richard add this to the algen Jackson County page?

                    Jackson County Historical Association
                    Jackson County Historical Association meets quarterly in January, April, July, and October. . Members receive THE JACKSON COUNTY CHRONICLES which announce date, time, and place of meeting each quarter. Historical essays which define Jackson County people, landmarks, and events have been published in THE CHRONICLES each quarter since 1976. Mail your dues to TREASURER, JACKSON COUNTY HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION, P. O. Box 1494, Scottsboro, AL 35768-1494. To contact the Editor of THE JACKSON COUNTY CHRONICLES, please email abc@... or direct snail mail to Ann B. Chambless, 435 Barbee Lane, Scottsboro, AL 35769-3745.

                    The Jackson County Historical Association has republished THE HISTORY OF JACKSON COUNTY, ALABAMA by John R. Kennamer, Sr., 1935 edition. The price of the book by mail is $23.00. Allow ten days for processing. Please mail book order to HISTORY BOOK, P. O. Box 1494, Scottsboro, AL 35768-1494 and include name and mailing address. Books may be purchased/picked up for $20.00 at the Scottsboro Public Library or the Scottsboro-Jackson County Heritage Center.

                    clay gullatt <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:

[...]

                    Genealogy information Family home Cellular phone family plan Family genealogy Family vacations Genealogy family tree

                    The McCutchen Trace

                    http://mccutchentrace.com

                  • frances_lambert2000
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 7, 2005
                      Clay thanks again for all the help you have given me with census look
                      ups. The 1920 Hollabend arkansas had more information on it . Ifound
                      a post that that George HAWKINs sister married a Ellison . On the
                      1920 census they were living next door to Cordelia.Thanks for the
                      census image.
                      I have got to go to the Gullatt farm house one weekend. That was one
                      of my favorite places to live.I learned to ride a bike there we had a
                      horse that we would cilmb out of the barnloft on and ride around No
                      bridle or saddle. I've been hoping for a a pretty weekend but Jackson
                      county seems to be getting lots of rain.
                      I haven't been on Poorhouse mountain sense I was about 9 or 10 .
                      It has one of the best veiws of Jackson County you can get.
                      Jackson County is beautiful at this time of the year Blackberrys and
                      Huckleberrys are ripe and lots of flowers are in bloom .

                      Clay how would you get a cemetery In the new book?

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 7, 2005
                        Frances

                        I would have thought the books would be at the
                        publisher by now or already printed. The Heritage
                        Center should know whether or not it is too late
                        to add anything.

                        The New Cemetery Books will NOT be by cemetery
                        but alphabetized by Surname, some surnames with
                        a large number of people might have a book all to
                        their self, other surnames will be combined in a
                        volume.

                        The rights to the books are asigned to the
                        Heritage Center. I think there was a new survey
                        of the cemeteries before this was to be
                        published. This is about all I know of the books.

                        Clay
                      • frances_lambert2000
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 7, 2005
                          Thanks Clay I'll check the next time I'm in scottsboro. I know the
                          cemetery that I'm talking about didn't make the books. It is in the
                          woods in the Flatrock Area off of countyroad 687 There is two
                          headstones that you can read: Anderson Gordon b: 8 June 1808 d:18 Jan
                          1884 His wife Elizabeth Gorden b:10 may 1808 d:3 aug 1897 I was told
                          that other graves should names but can't find anymore names there is
                          at least six more rocks marking graves. They Logged and nearly
                          destroyed this cemetery Too.
                          I have done a little research on Anderson Gordon family. They Had 7
                          girls and 1 boy I think that the boy died young he is on the 1850
                          census age 1 but not on the 1860 census. Here Is some of the Names
                          I have found that the Girls married into OVERDEER, HOUGE, CORDELL,

                          <blackcloud27030@y...> wrote:
                          > Frances
                          >
                          > I would have thought the books would be at the
                          > publisher by now or already printed. The Heritage
                          > Center should know whether or not it is too late
                          > to add anything.
                          >
                          > The New Cemetery Books will NOT be by cemetery
                          > but alphabetized by Surname, some surnames with
                          > a large number of people might have a book all to
                          > their self, other surnames will be combined in a
                          > volume.
                          >
                          > The rights to the books are asigned to the
                          > Heritage Center. I think there was a new survey
                          > of the cemeteries before this was to be
                          > published. This is about all I know of the books.
                          >
                          > Clay
                        • Kay Wollfe
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 7, 2005
                            Please remove my email from your list.