PAINT ROCK VALLEY

  • Ann B. Chambless
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 30, 2005
      There is a great deal going on in Paint Rock Valley and the Princeton area under the auspices of the Jackson County Historical Association . Led by Princeton native, Judy Prince (daughter of the late Pete Prince), valley history has been documented and National Historic Register application submitted.
      Volunteers have interviewed older citizens. There is now a written history for all but two of the communities which comprise Paint Rock Valley. Pictures of the older homes, barns, bridges, and other landmarks have been collected. Judy got a history class from Sanford University involved in this project, and they recorded some wonderful, thoughtful interviews . Two communities still need to be documented, and a grant has been applied for so their history can be added for complete coverage of the valley.
      The Alabama Historical Commission has approved the material which has been submitted to date. This is the first step in the process of obtaining Department of Interior approval. When their approval is granted, Paint Rock Valley will be the largest land area in Alabama on the National Register of Historic Places.
      The Paint Rock Valley Preservation Committee has held yard sales at Princeton High School to help finance this project. They are still selling tee shirts imprinted with the beautiful butterfly which is unique to the valley as well as hand-carved walking sticks which will be a collector's item some day. A Paint Rock Valley father and son carve these walking canes from native wood, and they are a work of art.
      A team of dedicated volunteers have expended innumerable hours in this project, and the Jackson County Historical Association and the individual communities are so excited about the prospects for National Register status. Those of you who are valley natives would have enjoyed the annual business meeting when Judy Prince told about how much has been accomplished in the past two years. The Princeton Methodist Church was almost full that Sunday afternoon, and it was evident the local residents are proud of this project and the impact it will have on the area they call home.
      Ann B. Chambless

    • Jewel Casey
      Message 2 of 13 , Jul 1, 2005
        Ann, thank you so very, very much for this information. So glad Judy and others have taken the time to put all of this together. Will there be copies of all this info available for those of us who do not live close?

        Thanks to all
        Jewel
[...]

        Family genealogy Family vacations Genealogy family tree

      • Geri
        Message 3 of 13 , Jul 1, 2005
          Ann,

          How can I find out how to buy the Tshirt and cane?

          Geri Beaver
          beaver450@...

          Message 4 of 13 , Jul 1, 2005
            Ann

            I sure could use a new cane. What is the address
            and prices.

            Clay
          • JASON THOMAS
            Message 5 of 13 , Jul 2, 2005
              I would be interested in a new cane too.

              Jason Thomas

              Message 6 of 13 , Jul 4, 2005
                Ann: I notice that a bunch of folks are interested in the canes. I am
                interested in obtaining one of those T-shirts! How do we go about ordering?
                Sharon
                jenlou@...

                Message 7 of 13 , Jul 7, 2005
                  Another one of my long winders is coming on. I
                  guess it is the result of being a retired Navy
                  Weatherman.

                  A word or two about the Jackson County Historical
                  Association,The Heritage Center and the
                  Scottsboro Library. These organizations have done
                  yeoman work in preserving Jackson County's
                  History including many of the old papers in the
                  courthouse, Historical Buildings and Cemeteries
                  and Homes of Jackson County. Where would you go
                  in Jackson County to learn about its history and
                  people if not for these organizations. Ann
                  Chambless has been at this for probably more
                  years than she wishes to tell us and nice two of
                  my cousins said she gave them a complete tour of
                  the county!

                  Many people have spent large sums to preserve old
                  buildings and homes among them my cousin Betty
                  Gullatt Budlong in restoring and preserving the
                  old Gullatt Farm House accepted for historic
                  status by PreserveALA and shortly the National
                  Registor of Historic Places, one more place for
                  you to visit.

                  Much more stills needs to be done. All this costs
                  money with little or no money forth coming from
                  the state or local governments now or in the
                  future, it falls on these organizations to raise
                  money through memeberships and donations and with
                  volunteer labor.

                  In particular many of the oldest cemeteries in
                  Jackson County are overgrown and is decrepit
                  conditions with many unmarked graves just sunken
                  holes in many places. The volunteers with the
                  ALGENWEB Jackson County have done the hard work
                  of surveying these old cemeteries. Look at the
                  list of names on the top of the cemerery lists,
                  these are the people we should each be giving a
                  heartfelt THANK YOU too for braving the snakes,
                  chiggers, weather and assorted other critters to
                  make those lists.

                  The newer cemeteries are kept but many of the
                  older are not, my cousins tell me that the
                  Pauper's Cemetery atop Poor House Mountain has
                  been logged and gone back to the wild. Sorry for
                  all of you who have family burried there.

                  Hopefully a new and updated series of books on
                  Jackson County Cemeteries will be published soon.
                  HERITAGE CENTER any up date on when?

                  The work of Jackson Genealogy Group and the
                  ALGENWEB Jackson County Website (for which we
                  have Richard Matthews to thank for both) is all
                  volunteer, we do not accept donations, it does
                  not cost you a penny other than what you paid for
                  a computer and to go on line, if you go to a
                  libraby it is all free. We are dedicated to
                  bringing you free genealogy.

                  Time is running out on many of the old documents
                  as the ravages of time catch up with then and
                  they crumble into dust and as the old bulidings
                  fall down. Even worst is some counties clerks are
                  destroying the old papers to make room for new.
                  This has happened in VA and I am sure elsewhere.
                  It is up to our generation to do all we can to
                  perserve them.

                  I urge all of you to join you local Historical
                  and Genealogical Society, Join the Jackson County
                  Historical Association they are your voice with
                  the county and state officals who are in charge
                  of those documents. Let them know those documents
                  belong to the citzens not to the county clerks or
                  state officials. If we allow these documents to
                  be destroyed or to crumble to dust and the
                  buildings to fall down then it is our fault and
                  no one else's. Besides by joing JCHA you will get
                  Chronicles and with that facts, stories and info
                  about Jackson County that those who don't belong
                  won't get.

                  I would also like to say I have heard only one or
                  two negative comments about the, Courthouse,
                  History Center and the Library all others have
                  been about how nice and welcoming the people were
                  and how helpful. If Jackson County is like Surry
                  County NC tourism is a big business now and
                  growing fast because all other business is
                  leaving fast. It pays to be nice and keep them
                  coming back.

                  There are over 300 people on this mailing list
                  and more joining each day, surely just about all
                  can afford the small sum to join the JHCA and to
                  donate a dollar or two to the Cemetery Cleanup
                  Fund. They are continuing work on old Bellefonte
                  Cemetery and have found some head stones never
                  seen before. The County Sheriff is providing
                  trusty labor with the harder work, but much still
                  needs to be done. All you have to do is read the
                  comments from each surveyor at the top of each
                  cemetery list to know what needs to be done. If
                  you can get to Jackson County VOLUNTEER! Ann will
                  post when and where work is to be done.

                  This ends my rant for the month.

                  PS: Just think how much it would have cost to
                  have hired a professional genealogist to research
                  and smash those brickwalls such as I have done
                  for so many of you and just for the pure joy of
                  solving a mystery. Love those mystery books!

                  Clay Gullatt
                  Moderator
                  Mount Airy NC
                • Sharon
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jul 7, 2005
                    Clay: You DESERVE to be long winded! I, for one, wish I had more ways to
                    thank ALL the folks in Jackson County who have helped me over the last five
                    years with my research on the Tribble and Rogers/Rodgers families. With my
                    grandmother's early beginnings one huge brick wall, and with the certain
                    knowledge that she did grow up, marry, and have children in Jackson Co. in
                    the late 1800's, early 1900's (on top of Nat Mountain, no less!), I have
                    discovered a" mountain" of information due to the efforts of Karen Chambers
                    of Woodville Library, Ann Chambliss and others in the Historical
                    Association, Wendell Page of Scottsboro, Joyce Kennamer, the librarians and
                    courthouse personnel at Scottsboro, Ann Gant of the Tax and Appraiser's
                    office (who is still toiling away for me),....I could go on and on. In
                    addition, I have been "led" by some of these folk to some of the oldest
                    residents of the county and have spoken with several by phone. In each and
                    every case, they have filled my ears and my heart with the flavor, the
                    sights, sounds, smells, stories and atmosphere of Jackson County and of
                    Woodville, Paint Rock and Nat Mountain in particular. I have been able to
                    trace my grandmother's foster family way back....am now working diligently
                    to find her biological parents whose first names I do not even know. And,
                    the folks of Jackson County, being aware of this, are STILL out there trying
                    to help me! My grandmother, whom I never knew, has left enough evidence
                    behind to let me know that she dearly loved her foster family and the place
                    where she was raised....so I have gathered all the information I can get
                    about that place and its people. I have intentions to one day visit and
                    also to think of ways to "give back" what was given to her and have several
                    ideas in mind. But, you are so right, Clay; we must do all we can to
                    preserve all that is there. I will be taking some of my own steps very
                    soon. I publicly want to thank all those I have named above, many others,
                    and you, too, Clay! Sharon in Wisconsin

                    Heritage Center, Old Bellefonte and other Historic Cemeteries

> [...]
                    > and more joining each day, surely just about all
                    > can afford the small sum to join the JHCA and to
                    > donate a dollar or two to the Cemetery Cleanup
                    > Fund. They are continuing work on old Bellefonte
                    > Cemetery and have found some head stones never
                    > seen before. The County Sheriff is providing
                    > trusty labor with the harder work, but much still
                    > needs to be done. All you have to do is read the
                    > comments from each surveyor at the top of each
                    > cemetery list to know what needs to be done. If
                    > you can get to Jackson County VOLUNTEER! Ann will
                    > post when and where work is to be done.
                    >
                    > This ends my rant for the month.
                    >
                    > PS: Just think how much it would have cost to
                    > have hired a professional genealogist to research
                    > and smash those brickwalls such as I have done
                    > for so many of you and just for the pure joy of
                    > solving a mystery. Love those mystery books!

                  • Charles McCutchen
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jul 7, 2005
                      Clay,

                      On the algen Jackson County page I can find the address to mail dues in but not the actual dues amount. Can we have Ann clarify the dues and have Richard add this to the algen Jackson County page?

                      Jackson County Historical Association
                      Jackson County Historical Association meets quarterly in January, April, July, and October. . Members receive THE JACKSON COUNTY CHRONICLES which announce date, time, and place of meeting each quarter. Historical essays which define Jackson County people, landmarks, and events have been published in THE CHRONICLES each quarter since 1976. Mail your dues to TREASURER, JACKSON COUNTY HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION, P. O. Box 1494, Scottsboro, AL 35768-1494. To contact the Editor of THE JACKSON COUNTY CHRONICLES, please email abc@... or direct snail mail to Ann B. Chambless, 435 Barbee Lane, Scottsboro, AL 35769-3745.

                      The Jackson County Historical Association has republished THE HISTORY OF JACKSON COUNTY, ALABAMA by John R. Kennamer, Sr., 1935 edition. The price of the book by mail is $23.00. Allow ten days for processing. Please mail book order to HISTORY BOOK, P. O. Box 1494, Scottsboro, AL 35768-1494 and include name and mailing address. Books may be purchased/picked up for $20.00 at the Scottsboro Public Library or the Scottsboro-Jackson County Heritage Center.

                      clay gullatt <blackcloud27030@...> wrote:

[...]

                      Genealogy information Family home Cellular phone family plan Family genealogy Family vacations Genealogy family tree

                      The McCutchen Trace

                      http://mccutchentrace.com

                    • frances_lambert2000
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jul 7, 2005
                        Clay thanks again for all the help you have given me with census look
                        ups. The 1920 Hollabend arkansas had more information on it . Ifound
                        a post that that George HAWKINs sister married a Ellison . On the
                        1920 census they were living next door to Cordelia.Thanks for the
                        census image.
                        I have got to go to the Gullatt farm house one weekend. That was one
                        of my favorite places to live.I learned to ride a bike there we had a
                        horse that we would cilmb out of the barnloft on and ride around No
                        bridle or saddle. I've been hoping for a a pretty weekend but Jackson
                        county seems to be getting lots of rain.
                        I haven't been on Poorhouse mountain sense I was about 9 or 10 .
                        It has one of the best veiws of Jackson County you can get.
                        Jackson County is beautiful at this time of the year Blackberrys and
                        Huckleberrys are ripe and lots of flowers are in bloom .

                        Clay how would you get a cemetery In the new book?

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 7, 2005
                          Frances

                          I would have thought the books would be at the
                          publisher by now or already printed. The Heritage
                          Center should know whether or not it is too late
                          to add anything.

                          The New Cemetery Books will NOT be by cemetery
                          but alphabetized by Surname, some surnames with
                          a large number of people might have a book all to
                          their self, other surnames will be combined in a
                          volume.

                          The rights to the books are asigned to the
                          Heritage Center. I think there was a new survey
                          of the cemeteries before this was to be
                          published. This is about all I know of the books.

                          Clay
                        • frances_lambert2000
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 7, 2005
                            Thanks Clay I'll check the next time I'm in scottsboro. I know the
                            cemetery that I'm talking about didn't make the books. It is in the
                            woods in the Flatrock Area off of countyroad 687 There is two
                            headstones that you can read: Anderson Gordon b: 8 June 1808 d:18 Jan
                            1884 His wife Elizabeth Gorden b:10 may 1808 d:3 aug 1897 I was told
                            that other graves should names but can't find anymore names there is
                            at least six more rocks marking graves. They Logged and nearly
                            destroyed this cemetery Too.
                            I have done a little research on Anderson Gordon family. They Had 7
                            girls and 1 boy I think that the boy died young he is on the 1850
                            census age 1 but not on the 1860 census. Here Is some of the Names
                            I have found that the Girls married into OVERDEER, HOUGE, CORDELL,

                            <blackcloud27030@y...> wrote:
                            > Frances
                            >
                            > I would have thought the books would be at the
                            > publisher by now or already printed. The Heritage
                            > Center should know whether or not it is too late
                            > to add anything.
                            >
                            > The New Cemetery Books will NOT be by cemetery
                            > but alphabetized by Surname, some surnames with
                            > a large number of people might have a book all to
                            > their self, other surnames will be combined in a
                            > volume.
                            >
                            > The rights to the books are asigned to the
                            > Heritage Center. I think there was a new survey
                            > of the cemeteries before this was to be
                            > published. This is about all I know of the books.
                            >
                            > Clay
                          • Kay Wollfe
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 7, 2005
                              Please remove my email from your list.