Re: Tankersley

  • smileysway2
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 29, 2005
      ...Good day Eugene...I just think it is an unusual surname and the
      possiblity being a better shot than normal. I appreciate you looking
      though. Hope you have a great day...

      Smiley

      --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Eugene Summers"
      <esummers2@c...> wrote:
      > Hello Smiley,
      >
      > To the best of my knowledge, my line of TANKERSLEYS do not have any
      BATES
      > connections. Charles Cicero's son, John L. Tankersley was my
      grandfather and
      > migrated out of Northern AL to West Tennessee with the railroad.
      >
      > I'll go back and review my records,...if any BATES connections turn-
      up I'll
      > get back with you.
      >
      > Thanks and happy huntin,..
      >
      > Eugene
      > Kentucky

      Do

      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 29, 2005
        1900 Cave Spring, Jackson Co AL
        Cicero Tankersley Head Sep 1876 23 mar.7yrs TN TN
        AL Farmer
        Martha J. Wife mar 1876 24 mar.7yrs
        2child/2living TN AL TN
        Eva J. Dau Apr 1897 3 AL TN TN
        John L. Son Aug 1899 AL TN TN

        1910 Dist 16 Franklin Co. TN
        Cicero C. Head 32 mar.once 15yrs TN AL AL Laborer
        Stone Mill
        Martha J. Wife 30 mar.once 15yrs 6child/6living
        TN TN TN
        Johnie L. son 10 all the children b. AL
        L.D. Dau 7
        Bettie Dau 6
        Rosa M. Dau 4
        Willie Son 3
        Sallie P. Dau 6mons

        1930 Fackler Jackson Co. AL
        Charles C. Tankersley Head 53 1stmar.18 TN AL AL
        Farmer
        Mattie Wife 52 1stmar.17 TN TN TN
        Bettie G. Dau 25 Single TX? TN TN
        Henry Pruitt Nephew 20 TN AL AL Laborer

        1880 Collins Jackson Co. AL
        House 45 Family 47
        William Tankersley 20 Laborer TN TN TN
        Martha 19 Wife Keeping House AL AL AL
        Charles 31 Farming AL NC GA
        Rhoda 27 Wife Keeping House AL AL AL
        Martha 9 Dau all children b. AL
        Mary E. 7 Dau
        Lucinda 6 Dau
        Charlie 4 Son
        Nancy 1 Dau

        AL Death Index
        Charles C. Tankersley d. Dec 1936 Jackson Co. AL
        Vol 38 Roll 3 Page 28718

        Clay Gullatt
        Mount Airy NC
      • Eugene Summers
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 29, 2005
          Clay,

          Thanks so much for all the great info!

          Your time and efforts are much appreciated.

          Eugene Summers
          Madisonville, KY

          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 30, 2005
            Many new links have been add to our Group Home
            Site, including Cherokee Territory and removal;
            Jackson Co. Families; War Between the States
            Jackson County; The Scottsboro Public Library
            with a link at their site to other JC libraries.

            Click on the link, Jackson County Links misc
            pages about Jackson Co.. there are 20 new links
            under that. Including White Settlers on Cherokee
            Land 1819 Jackson Co., Settlers and Intruders on
            Cherokee Indian Lands 1801-1816, this one should
            be of interest to the KEYS Cousins, baptism of
            some of Samuel Keys children is there, the Rileys
            are on there also. Just a sampling of new LINKS.
            Your family might be at one of the links, check
            it out!

            Clay Gullatt
          • Jewel Casey
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 30, 2005
              Clay, I was born at the foot of Putman Mountain near Princeton, Jackson County, AL. Curly Putman, write of "Green, Green Grass of Home" was born on the top of Putman Mountain. Our families knew each other back then even tho I have never met him.

              I searched the ALGENWEB Jackson County website looking for info on Princeton, and much to my surprise found very little. I did find where Princeton was first named Birmingham and changed to Princeton 1n 1849. As far as I know there is still a post office there and a lot of great people but little else.

              I was told when I was growing up that Alabama tried to sell that part of Alabama to Tennessee and Tennessee didn't want it because it was so remote and poor. Now I'm beginning to believe that story, The great county of Jackson doesn't seem to know anything about Princeton or it's people.

              Even tho I do not live in Alabama I do try to visit Clay Cemetery located at Princeton because my parents, two sisters, a brother and my maternal grandparents are buried there. I have a sister and my paternal great-grandparents, great aunts and uncles are buried in Hambrick Sinks, a place named after them, my grandfather David Wesley Hambrick, a Civil War veteran is buried at Mt. Nebo Cemetery near Hollytree. Does anyone know where Hollytree is located?? Probably not.

              Would like to see communities on this site.

              Also checked the Jackson County Heritage book and found nothing. Guess the people in the small communities were not contacted or perhaps they were just not interested in being a part of Jackson County.

              Thanks a million for listening
              Jewel Dean (Hambrick) Graham Casey

              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 30, 2005
                I have always said that Paint Rock and the Princeton area would make a good
                Gatlinburg type area. It is so pretty going back through there. Several
                years ago my husband and I cut wood back through there and took a camera and
                made pictures of some of the old post offices through there. At one time we
                looked at buying land on PUTMAN Mountain for $100.00 an acre. Wish I could
                afford to buy land in the Princeton area.

                I knew a girl that graduated from Princeton but don't know her maiden name.
                Her married name is Katherine DUDLEY.

                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 30, 2005
                  http://www.hometownlocator.com/City/Princeton-Alabama.cfm

                  -Check out this web site on Princeton, Alabama
                  Regina
                • Regina
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 30, 2005
                    1. 2.5 mi W Hollytree Post Office, 1-800-ASK-USPS, 11751 Al Highway 65,
                    Hollytree, AL 35751 [Approx]
                    2. 4.6 mi SW Princeton Main Office, 1-800-ASK-USPS, 14575 Al Highway 65,
                    Princeton, AL 35766 [Approx]
                    3. 4.6 mi SW Trenton, 1-800-ASK-USPS, 319 County Road 106, Trenton, AL
                    35774 [Approx]
                    4. 7.8 mi N Estillfork, 1-800-ASK-USPS, 3930 County Road 9, Estillfork,
                    AL 35745

                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 1 7:21 AM
                      Hollytree and Mt. Nebo Church are located in the
                      Paint Rock Valley at the southern base of Brooks
                      Mountain.

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jul 1 8:00 AM

                        Could you upload some of those photos at the
                        Group Home Site? I am sure that everyone would
                        like to see them. Anyone can upload their photos
                        of Jackson County and their old family photos at
                        the site.

                        Clay
                      • Regina
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 1 8:32 AM
                          I will if I can find them. We moved back to Alabama after being gone for
                          fourteen years and some of our things were left in our home in Alabama and
                          when we moved back we had to merge three houses together so I still have
                          some things in boxes. As soon as I can locate them I will put them on the
                          site.

                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 1 9:26 AM
                            Jewel

                            I am emailing you two topo maps of Hollytree and
                            Mt. Nebo Church Paint Rock Valley. They are north
                            of Garth.

                            For others who would like to see where their
                            ancestors lived google terraserver, type in a
                            fairly large town in Jackson County then useing
                            the East/West North/South arrows navigate to
                            where you want to go, you can enlarge for a
                            closer view and at the top of the chart is Aerial
                            View click on that for an aerial shot, if you
                            click on the map or photo it will take you closer
                            in.

                          • Jewel Casey

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 1 11:24 AM
                                Yes, Regina, you are correct in saying that Paint Rock and the Princeton area would make a good Gatlinburg type area, but I hope and pray that never happens because it is so beautiful It would be a shame to waste so much beauty!!!!

                                Every time we go there we are afraid someone has discovered the beauty and decided to change all that. I grew up on Lick Fork Creek that leads from Princeton up between Maxwell and Putman Mountains. I remember so many, many hard, hard days there and yet so many good memories.

                                Three of my brothers and I went to school at Trenton and Princeton. We moved to Trenton in 1936 and back to the same area in 1938. I started school in Trenton in 1937 and transferred to Princeton in January 1938.

                                We moved to Huntland, Franklin County, TN in January 1945. Why always moving in January? Because my parents were tenant farmers and daddy was always looking for a better deal and a better house to live in.

                                My dad was Calvin Monroe Hambrick 1897-1984 born in Hambrick Sinks near Princeton, son of David Wesley Hambrick and Demarius (Vann) Hambrick. He married Margaret Eliza Anderson in 1916 in Jackson County, AL. Mama was born 1901 and died 1982, daughter of Thomas Holland Anderson and Nancy Emaline (Fanning) Anderson, living in the same area or near Princeton as my dad and his family did. They had nine children losing the first four children, three were daughters and a son and then lost another son who was next to last baby. I'm the only daughter who survived. I have two older brothers and one younger brother.

                                I loved the beautiful school at Princeton!! It is still a beautiful school So many good memories shade out most of the unpleasant ones.

                                Thanks a million
                                Jewel Dean (Hambrick) Graham Casey
                                Tullahoma, TN

                                Many new links have been add to our Group Home
                                Site, including Cherokee Territory and removal;
                                Jackson Co. Families; War Between the States
                                Jackson County; The Scottsboro Public Library
                                with a link at their site to other JC libraries.

                                Click on the link, Jackson County Links misc
                                pages about Jackson Co.. there are 20 new links
                                under that. Including White Settlers on Cherokee
                                Land 1819 Jackson Co., Settlers and Intruders on
                                Cherokee Indian Lands 1801-1816, this one should
                                be of interest to the KEYS Cousins, baptism of
                                some of Samuel Keys children is there, the Rileys
                                are on there also. Just a sampling of new LINKS.
                                Your family might be at one of the links, check
                                it out!

                                Clay Gullatt

                                Service.

                                Family genealogy Family vacations Genealogy family tree