Tankersley

  • Eugene Summers
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 26, 2005
      Hello all,

      Looking for any information on the Tankersley and/or Jackson line. My g grandfather, Charles Cicero Tankersley married Martha "Mattie" Jackson on 24 Dec. 1893.

      Thanks and regards,

      Eugene Summers

      This Email has been scanned for viruses, courtesy of Tnets.net

    • smileysway2
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 28, 2005
        ...Hi Eugene...I have a (M)TANKERSLEY that married a (F)BATES. I
        have
        not done alot of research on this line, as I believe they are still
        living. This line would connect with my ROGERS & JENKINS line. Do
        you
        have any info on any "newer" generations? Have a great day...

        Smiley
        Norman, OK

        --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Eugene Summers"

        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 28, 2005
          Eugene

          1930 Census Fackler Jackson Co. AL
          Charles C. Tankersley Head 53 1stmar@18 TN AL AL
          Farmer
          Mattie Wife-Head 52 1stmar@17 TN TN TN
          Bettie G. Dau 25 single TX TN TN
          Henry Pruitt Nephew 20 single TN AL AL Laborer

          The TX for Bettie is probably and error since
          1810 lists all children b. AL

          1910 Dist. 16 Franklin Co. TN
          Cicero C. Tankersley Head 32 mar.once 15yrs TN AL
          AL Laborer Stone Mill
          Martha J. Wife 30 mar.once 15yrs 6child 6living
          TN TN TN
          Johnie L. son 10 All children b. AL
          L.D. Dau 7
          Bettie Dau 6
          Rosa M. 4
          Willie 3
          Sallie P. 6mons

          Have not found them on other census yet. Charles
          may be on the 1880 Jackson Co as Charlie age 4
          son of Charles 31 AL AL AL and Rhoda 27 AL NC GA
          Tankersley. You can see the 1880 at
          www.familysearch.org. As soon as I get time will
          email you the census images. Have not search for
          the Jacksons yet.

          I have found no marriage record. I doubt the
          marriage date 1893 you cite considering the
          children's ages on the 1910, none are over 10,
          she says 6 children and 6 living on the 1910. The
          dates they give on both census say they were
          married in 1895. Will have to see what the 1900
          says when and if found.

          Clay
        • Eugene Summers
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 29, 2005
            Hello Smiley,

            To the best of my knowledge, my line of TANKERSLEYS do not have any BATES
            connections. Charles Cicero's son, John L. Tankersley was my grandfather and
            migrated out of Northern AL to West Tennessee with the railroad.

            I'll go back and review my records,...if any BATES connections turn-up I'll
            get back with you.

            Thanks and happy huntin,..

            Eugene
            Kentucky

            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 29, 2005
              ...Good day Eugene...I just think it is an unusual surname and the
              possiblity being a better shot than normal. I appreciate you looking
              though. Hope you have a great day...

              Smiley

              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 29, 2005
                1900 Cave Spring, Jackson Co AL
                Cicero Tankersley Head Sep 1876 23 mar.7yrs TN TN
                AL Farmer
                Martha J. Wife mar 1876 24 mar.7yrs
                2child/2living TN AL TN
                Eva J. Dau Apr 1897 3 AL TN TN
                John L. Son Aug 1899 AL TN TN

                1910 Dist 16 Franklin Co. TN
                Cicero C. Head 32 mar.once 15yrs TN AL AL Laborer
                Stone Mill
                Martha J. Wife 30 mar.once 15yrs 6child/6living
                TN TN TN
                Johnie L. son 10 all the children b. AL
                L.D. Dau 7
                Bettie Dau 6
                Rosa M. Dau 4
                Willie Son 3
                Sallie P. Dau 6mons

                1930 Fackler Jackson Co. AL
                Charles C. Tankersley Head 53 1stmar.18 TN AL AL
                Farmer
                Mattie Wife 52 1stmar.17 TN TN TN
                Bettie G. Dau 25 Single TX? TN TN
                Henry Pruitt Nephew 20 TN AL AL Laborer

                1880 Collins Jackson Co. AL
                House 45 Family 47
                William Tankersley 20 Laborer TN TN TN
                Martha 19 Wife Keeping House AL AL AL
                Charles 31 Farming AL NC GA
                Rhoda 27 Wife Keeping House AL AL AL
                Martha 9 Dau all children b. AL
                Mary E. 7 Dau
                Lucinda 6 Dau
                Charlie 4 Son
                Nancy 1 Dau

                AL Death Index
                Charles C. Tankersley d. Dec 1936 Jackson Co. AL
                Vol 38 Roll 3 Page 28718

                Clay Gullatt
                Mount Airy NC
              • Eugene Summers
                Message 7 of 18 , Jun 29, 2005
                  Clay,

                  Thanks so much for all the great info!

                  Your time and efforts are much appreciated.

                  Eugene Summers
                  Madisonville, KY

                  Message 8 of 18 , Jun 30, 2005
                    Many new links have been add to our Group Home
                    Site, including Cherokee Territory and removal;
                    Jackson Co. Families; War Between the States
                    Jackson County; The Scottsboro Public Library
                    with a link at their site to other JC libraries.

                    Click on the link, Jackson County Links misc
                    pages about Jackson Co.. there are 20 new links
                    under that. Including White Settlers on Cherokee
                    Land 1819 Jackson Co., Settlers and Intruders on
                    Cherokee Indian Lands 1801-1816, this one should
                    be of interest to the KEYS Cousins, baptism of
                    some of Samuel Keys children is there, the Rileys
                    are on there also. Just a sampling of new LINKS.
                    Your family might be at one of the links, check
                    it out!

                    Clay Gullatt
                  • Jewel Casey
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jun 30, 2005
                      Clay, I was born at the foot of Putman Mountain near Princeton, Jackson County, AL. Curly Putman, write of "Green, Green Grass of Home" was born on the top of Putman Mountain. Our families knew each other back then even tho I have never met him.

                      I searched the ALGENWEB Jackson County website looking for info on Princeton, and much to my surprise found very little. I did find where Princeton was first named Birmingham and changed to Princeton 1n 1849. As far as I know there is still a post office there and a lot of great people but little else.

                      I was told when I was growing up that Alabama tried to sell that part of Alabama to Tennessee and Tennessee didn't want it because it was so remote and poor. Now I'm beginning to believe that story, The great county of Jackson doesn't seem to know anything about Princeton or it's people.

                      Even tho I do not live in Alabama I do try to visit Clay Cemetery located at Princeton because my parents, two sisters, a brother and my maternal grandparents are buried there. I have a sister and my paternal great-grandparents, great aunts and uncles are buried in Hambrick Sinks, a place named after them, my grandfather David Wesley Hambrick, a Civil War veteran is buried at Mt. Nebo Cemetery near Hollytree. Does anyone know where Hollytree is located?? Probably not.

                      Would like to see communities on this site.

                      Also checked the Jackson County Heritage book and found nothing. Guess the people in the small communities were not contacted or perhaps they were just not interested in being a part of Jackson County.

                      Thanks a million for listening
                      Jewel Dean (Hambrick) Graham Casey

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jun 30, 2005
                        I have always said that Paint Rock and the Princeton area would make a good
                        Gatlinburg type area. It is so pretty going back through there. Several
                        years ago my husband and I cut wood back through there and took a camera and
                        made pictures of some of the old post offices through there. At one time we
                        looked at buying land on PUTMAN Mountain for $100.00 an acre. Wish I could
                        afford to buy land in the Princeton area.

                        I knew a girl that graduated from Princeton but don't know her maiden name.
                        Her married name is Katherine DUDLEY.

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jun 30, 2005
                          http://www.hometownlocator.com/City/Princeton-Alabama.cfm

                          -Check out this web site on Princeton, Alabama
                          Regina
                        • Regina
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jun 30, 2005
                            1. 2.5 mi W Hollytree Post Office, 1-800-ASK-USPS, 11751 Al Highway 65,
                            Hollytree, AL 35751 [Approx]
                            2. 4.6 mi SW Princeton Main Office, 1-800-ASK-USPS, 14575 Al Highway 65,
                            Princeton, AL 35766 [Approx]
                            3. 4.6 mi SW Trenton, 1-800-ASK-USPS, 319 County Road 106, Trenton, AL
                            35774 [Approx]
                            4. 7.8 mi N Estillfork, 1-800-ASK-USPS, 3930 County Road 9, Estillfork,
                            AL 35745

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jul 1, 2005
                              Hollytree and Mt. Nebo Church are located in the
                              Paint Rock Valley at the southern base of Brooks
                              Mountain.

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 1, 2005

                                Could you upload some of those photos at the
                                Group Home Site? I am sure that everyone would
                                like to see them. Anyone can upload their photos
                                of Jackson County and their old family photos at
                                the site.

                                Clay
                              • Regina
                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 1, 2005
                                  I will if I can find them. We moved back to Alabama after being gone for
                                  fourteen years and some of our things were left in our home in Alabama and
                                  when we moved back we had to merge three houses together so I still have
                                  some things in boxes. As soon as I can locate them I will put them on the
                                  site.

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 1, 2005
                                    Jewel

                                    I am emailing you two topo maps of Hollytree and
                                    Mt. Nebo Church Paint Rock Valley. They are north
                                    of Garth.

                                    For others who would like to see where their
                                    ancestors lived google terraserver, type in a
                                    fairly large town in Jackson County then useing
                                    the East/West North/South arrows navigate to
                                    where you want to go, you can enlarge for a
                                    closer view and at the top of the chart is Aerial
                                    View click on that for an aerial shot, if you
                                    click on the map or photo it will take you closer
                                    in.

                                  • Jewel Casey

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jul 1, 2005
                                        Yes, Regina, you are correct in saying that Paint Rock and the Princeton area would make a good Gatlinburg type area, but I hope and pray that never happens because it is so beautiful It would be a shame to waste so much beauty!!!!

                                        Every time we go there we are afraid someone has discovered the beauty and decided to change all that. I grew up on Lick Fork Creek that leads from Princeton up between Maxwell and Putman Mountains. I remember so many, many hard, hard days there and yet so many good memories.

                                        Three of my brothers and I went to school at Trenton and Princeton. We moved to Trenton in 1936 and back to the same area in 1938. I started school in Trenton in 1937 and transferred to Princeton in January 1938.

                                        We moved to Huntland, Franklin County, TN in January 1945. Why always moving in January? Because my parents were tenant farmers and daddy was always looking for a better deal and a better house to live in.

                                        My dad was Calvin Monroe Hambrick 1897-1984 born in Hambrick Sinks near Princeton, son of David Wesley Hambrick and Demarius (Vann) Hambrick. He married Margaret Eliza Anderson in 1916 in Jackson County, AL. Mama was born 1901 and died 1982, daughter of Thomas Holland Anderson and Nancy Emaline (Fanning) Anderson, living in the same area or near Princeton as my dad and his family did. They had nine children losing the first four children, three were daughters and a son and then lost another son who was next to last baby. I'm the only daughter who survived. I have two older brothers and one younger brother.

                                        I loved the beautiful school at Princeton!! It is still a beautiful school So many good memories shade out most of the unpleasant ones.

                                        Thanks a million
                                        Jewel Dean (Hambrick) Graham Casey
                                        Tullahoma, TN

                                        Many new links have been add to our Group Home
                                        Site, including Cherokee Territory and removal;
                                        Jackson Co. Families; War Between the States
                                        Jackson County; The Scottsboro Public Library
                                        with a link at their site to other JC libraries.

                                        Click on the link, Jackson County Links misc
                                        pages about Jackson Co.. there are 20 new links
                                        under that. Including White Settlers on Cherokee
                                        Land 1819 Jackson Co., Settlers and Intruders on
                                        Cherokee Indian Lands 1801-1816, this one should
                                        be of interest to the KEYS Cousins, baptism of
                                        some of Samuel Keys children is there, the Rileys
                                        are on there also. Just a sampling of new LINKS.
                                        Your family might be at one of the links, check
                                        it out!

                                        Clay Gullatt

                                        Service.

                                        Family genealogy Family vacations Genealogy family tree