Older Newspapers

  • Gubasemia@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 3 , May 9, 1999
      Hello all,
      It is nice to have a list for Jackson County. Could someone tell me if the
      older newspapers are on microfilm. Although there may be more, the one I
      would like to see is the Progressive Age.

      Researching, Tanner, Neely, Kay and related families in Jackson County.

      Darlene
    • Richard Matthews
      Message 2 of 3 , May 10, 1999
        > It is nice to have a list for Jackson County. Could someone tell me if the
        > older newspapers are on microfilm. Although there may be more, the one I
        > would like to see is the Progressive Age.
        >
        > Researching, Tanner, Neely, Kay and related families in Jackson County.
        >
        > Darlene

        The Scottsboro library has a nice selection of old local newspapers on film
      • Shirjoyce@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 3 , May 10, 1999
          Darlene,

          I wrote to the Ala. Dept. of Archives and History in 2/1994 to see if the
          Jackson Co., Ala. newspapers had been microfilmed. They responded that many
          of the records including a number of newspapers from Jackson Co., Ala. had
          been microfiled by LDS or the Genealogy Society of Utah in 1993. The
          Archives will send you a copy of all the Jackson Co., Ala. records that are
          microfilmed. The newspaper reels can be bought for viewing for $16.00 a roll
          in 1994 from the Ala. Archives. In addition you can rent the reels from the
          LDS library in Salt Lake City, Utah through their local Family History
          Libraries in your area.

          These are the dates furnished to me for The Progressive Age newspaper that
          are microfilmed.
          1/3/1889-12/25/1890
          1891-1892 Missing
          1/6/1893-12/28/1894
          1895-1896 Missing
          1/7/1897-12/29/1898
          1/3/1899-12/26/1901
          1/2/1902-12/31/1903
          1/7/1904-12/28/1905
          1/4/1906-12/26/1907
          1/2/1908-12/31/1908
          1/7/1909=12/30/1910
          1/6/1911-12/26/1912
          1/2/1913-12/30/1915
          1/6/1916-12/26/1918
          1919-1921 Missing
          1/5/1922-12/27/1923
          1924 Missing
          1/1/1925-12/30/1926
          1/6/1927-12/27/1928
          1/3/1929-12/25/1930
          1/1/1931-12/29/1932
          1/5/1933-12/27/1934
          1/3/1935-12/31/1936
          1/7/1937-12/29-1938
          1/5/1939-12/261940
          1/2/1941-12/31/1942
          1/7/1943-12/28/1944
          1/4/1945-12/26/1946
          1/2/1947-12/29/1949
          1/5/1950-12/27/1951
          1/3/1952-12/31/1953
          1/7/1954-12/29/1955
          1/5/1956-12/27/1956
          1/3/1957-12/26/1957
          1/2/1958-12/ 25/1958
          1/1/1959-12/29/1960
          1/5/1961-12/22/1962

          I also understand that Jane Boyd Roberts has been abstracting the death
          notices in Jackson Co., Ala. newspapers and indexing the name and date of
          death. These books are in the Scottsboro Library. Last October I believe
          she had completed 12 volumes. I don't believe the index has been published
          for sale but only for the use of the library.

          Someone from Jackson Co. may be able to enlighten us further on the
          obituaries index of the dates and the newspapers that are copied.

          Hope this will help the researchers.

          Shirley Perry.