Re: [jacksongenealogy] Re: 'The Heritage of Jackson County'

  • Pat Alexander
    Message 1 of 28 , Jun 3, 2005
      Our genealogical society has these books. I will be glad to look up, but it will be Thursday before our library is open. The only day. We also have over 5000 individual files. If you don't get any help before Wednesday, please let me know and I'll be glad to help. :) Are you SURE you don't have Benjamin Phillips or James Litton Smith?

      Pat Alexander
      Jacksonville, AL
      http://www.rootsweb.com/~alneags/index.html
      Message 2 of 28 , Jun 3, 2005
        Hi Sharon,
        Just noticed your list of surnames and I am also looking for Rogers/Rodgers
        in Jackson County. What are the names of your Rogers? I would be grateful for
        any information on this line.
        Jean Bowen
        Gullick99@...

      • kathy hallman
        Message 3 of 28 , Jun 4, 2005
          I am the descendant of Elias P Wilbanks who is a brother to William Wilbanks who I believe is Lucy Jane Wilbanks father. I think I have most of the information for Lucy line of Wilbanks.
          Thanks Kathy

          Cynthia Pugliese <capugliese@...> wrote:
          Kathy,

          I have a Wilbanks in my genealogy file. I have a Lucy Jane Wilbanks marrying Ernest Harrison Evans. Ernest Harrison Evans was the son of Russell Leander Evans and Susan C. Hulda Kay. They had 6 children. Is Lucy part of your line? If you'd like more info, let me know

          Cynthia Pugliese

          > When you have time, would you look up Beavers and Robertson family. My
          > Beavers are William and Amelia. Their child that I am interested most
          > in was Millie Rose Beavers. Millie Rose married Thomas Jefferson
          > Robertson, the son of Warning Peter and Frances Holmes Calloway. I
          > have also seen Warning's name as Warren.
          >
          > Thank you so much! BTW, I have the book, Paint Rock Pioneers and
          > will do lookups also. I am slow though!!
          >

          > Roni Beavers Jensen

        • princessozma
          Message 4 of 28 , Jun 8, 2005
            Sharon,

            The only surnames that I found in your list were Rodgers. Here is
            what I found listed in the chapter about Paint Rock Cemetery:

            "RODGERS"
            Vivian Odell
            Feb.2, 1933 Nov. 6, 1922
            Nov. 12, 1980
            Married July 2, 1950
            "He is just away"

            --Taken from "Paint Rock Valley Pioneers" by Kittye Vandiver Henshaw,
            Evelyn Smith Rochelle, and Addie Katherine Stovall Shaver. Published
            1986. P.8

            Sorry I was not more help.

            Roni Beavers Jensen
          • princessozma
            Message 5 of 28 , Jun 8, 2005
              Kathy,

              I only found one reference to any of your surnames. On page 133, I
              found a reference to a Sarah Crabtree.

              "Mary Ann Reid was the third wife of George Reed. His first wife was
              Sintha ? and his second wife was probably SARAH CRABTREE REED who is
              buried in the Prince Cemetery at Larkin Fork. SARAH A. CRABTREE married
              a Geroge Reed 14 June, 1853, ceremony performed by Ferman Fowler, JP."

              --Taken from "Paint Rock Valley Pioneers" by Kittye Vandiver Henshaw,
              Evelyn Smith Rochelle, and Addie Katherine Stovall Shaver. Published
              1986.

              Hope this can help!
              Roni Beavers Jensen
            • princessozma
              Message 6 of 28 , Jun 8, 2005
                Robert,

                This is what I found in "Paint Rock Valley Pioneers" by Kittye
                Vandiver Henshaw, Evelyn Smith Rochelle, and Addie Katherine Stovall
                Shaver. Published 1986.

                "W.M. BEAVER
                Born Oct. 1, 1808
                Died Nov. 25th, 1875
                Age 67 years, 1 month, & 25 days
                "Blessed are the pure in heart
                for they shall see God"
                Erected by his son J.L. Beaver"

                This is found on page 153 in the chapter about Old Taliaferro
                (Tolliver) Cemetery.

                On page 245, in the chapter about Houston Hollow Cemetery, I found
                the following:

                "There is only one grave here--Township 1 South, Range 4 East,
                Section 24, near Estill Fork. The grave is that of * JAMES
                ROBERTSON, father of Tommy, Johnny, and Susan Robertson. It is in
                the middle of a field with an iron fence around it, but no tombstone.
                The James W. Robertson who bought land in this section on 18 October,
                1855 probably is the father of the above James Robertson.
                * James Robertson married Mary Matthews 25 January, 1866. Their
                children:
                1. Tommy Robertson married Emma Reed
                2. Johnny Robertson married a sister of Emma Reed
                3. Susan E. Robertson married a Money "

                Re: James M. Robertson

                On page 128, chapter on Clay Cemetery, I found: "James M. Robertson
                Aug. 5, 1858 Nov. 16, 1937" "James M. Robertson married first
                his cousin, Martha A. Robertson and second her sister, Johnnie Dixie
                Robertson, daughters of Richard C. and Mary S. Robertson."
                his wife is listed on page 129: "Marth A. Robertson Wife of James
                M. Robertson Nov. 9th, 1866 Departed this life Feb. 10th,
                1894 "She opened her mouth with wisdom and in her tongue was the law
                of kindness"

                BTW, their are alot of Robertson/Robinson in this book. They are one
                of my primary families.

                In addition, I found on page 166 the following:

                "1850 Jackson County Census:
                Francis H. Robinson 47 TN (widow of Peter Robertson)
                JAMES M. ROBINSON 19 AL
                Jonas C. Robinson 16 AL
                John R. Robinson 14 AL
                Thomas J. Robinson 12 AL
                Hickman Robinson 10 AL
                Edward Robinson 8 AL
                Warning P. Robinson 4 AL"

                Hope this helps, Cousin!!!

                Roni Beavers Jensen
              • Robert Patterson

                  Message 8 of 28 , Jun 9, 2005
                    Roni: Thanks for the information. These Rodgers are a bit later than the
                    ones I am looking for; however it helps to know that there were some
                    Rodgers, with that spelling, in Jackson Co. I am going to keep this in my
                    files - just in case...I always wondered what was in that book, if anything,
                    and now I know. That's a big help and thanks again. Sharon

                    > The only surnames that I found in your list were Rodgers. Here is
                    > what I found listed in the chapter about Paint Rock Cemetery:
                    >
                    > "RODGERS"
                    > Vivian Odell
                    > Feb.2, 1933 Nov. 6, 1922
                    > Nov. 12, 1980
                    > Married July 2, 1950
                    > "He is just away"
                    >

                    > --Taken from "Paint Rock Valley Pioneers" by Kittye Vandiver Henshaw,
                    > Evelyn Smith Rochelle, and Addie Katherine Stovall Shaver. Published
                    > 1986. P.8
                    >

                    > Sorry I was not more help.
                    >
                    > Roni Beavers Jensen
                    >

                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                  • kathy hallman

                      Message 10 of 28 , Jun 9, 2005
                        Roni
                        Do you know if there are any Wallers in the Paint Rock Valley Pioneers.
                        Maybe Abner Waller Jr and Emily Parker. My GGgrandparents.
                        Thank you
                        Chuck Boyd

                      • princessozma
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jun 9, 2005
                          Chuck,
                          In the book I find an Estamae Waller, Fannie Lee Waller, and Josephine
                          Waller. As to Parker, I find James Paul, Kenneth Lee, and Lily N.
                          Parker.

                          If you want any of those transcribed, let me know and I will be glad to
                          do it.

                          Roni Beavers Jensen
                        • zrcb@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jun 10, 2005
                            Roni
                            Thanks a lot for the fast response to my email. I will get back to you I
                            have to look a little closer at those names.
                            Chuck

                          • sromanek
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jun 11, 2005
                              Vickie,
                              Thanks for the offer. Can you please tell me if there are any Kirksey or Dover names in the book. I may ask for more later if you do not mind.

                              Thanks again,
                              Sharon Dover Romanek
                              Primary e-mail: sromanek@...
                              Secondary e-mail: sromanek@...

                              Researching: Romanek, Gucwa, Dover, Shrader, Tyner, Johnston, Williams, Edge, Smith, Kirksey, Demers, Murphy, Allen

                              It's 2005... Do you know where your g-g-great grandparents are?
                              Message 14 of 28 , Jun 15, 2005
                                Romia, Does this book have anything in it abouth
                                the SHAVERS family in it? THANK YOU Pam Shavers
                                Kelley

                                pam have a good day GOD love you

                                http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                              • princessozma
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jun 15, 2005
                                  Pam,

                                  I find an Addie Shaver and a Kelly Shaver. Are these family? If so,
                                  let me know and I will transcribe the info for you. Addie is actually
                                  mentioned in "Paint Rock Pioneers" on 8 pages, both as a contributor
                                  and as subject.

                                  Take care!

                                  Roni Beavers Jensen
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jun 16, 2005
                                    The Guntersville Flooded Cemetery File compiled
                                    by Will Peek from NARA Sources and the Jackson
                                    Co. Mega CemFile compiled by Mark Klan for
                                    ALGENWEB soures is now at the group home site
                                    under LINKS so I will no longer be sending them
                                    unless requested.

                                    There are sections to upload you photos, bible
                                    records and other documents at the group home
                                    site. This is a good way to ensure they are not
                                    lost. I am sure that many of us would like to see
                                    your old photos of ancestors and Jackson County.

                                    Another way is to upload them at your family
                                    surname message board at www.rootsweb.com a free
                                    site. If you want to see any old photos of the
                                    Gullatts and their family bibles they are on the
                                    Gullatt surname message board.

                                    Visit our group home site that Richard Matthews
                                    our group owner maintains and see what is new.

                                    Another matter is, some time ago Richard asked
                                    for opinions on being allowed to add attachments
                                    to messages posted on our group. I would like
                                    comments on that please.

                                    The attachments would be strictly restricted to
                                    things of a genealogical and historical nature
                                    that pertain to Jackson County and it families.
                                    No politics and no religion unless it is of a
                                    historical nature and directly pertains to
                                    someone in Jackson County. The fact that your
                                    ancestor was a minister of a church or your
                                    ancestor held a political office would be of
                                    interest and permitted, what beliefs they held
                                    and the details of their politics would not be.
                                    And certainly nothing about politics or religion
                                    of today, there are other places for that.

                                    Clay Gullatt