James Litton Smith

  • Pat Alexander
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2005
      New kid on the list here. ISO information on James Litton Smith and/or
      twin brother, Thomas. Their sister, Martha (Mattie) Bell Smith (1869-
      1952) married Benjamin Franklin Phillips, 1887. Bridgeport has been
      mentioned as location.
    • Joy Smith

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 8, 2005
          Joy, thank you, SO much. This my greatest brick wall. James and Thomas' sister, Mattie Belle, married Benjamin Franklin Phillips. I remember these people from family reunions and haven't been able to get one smidgen of info on them. I really appreciate your help.

          Pat Alexander
          Jacksonville, AL
          http://www.rootsweb.com/~alneags/index.html

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 12, 2005
            Hope it did help. Which of these are your ancestors? JOY

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 12, 2005
              Martha (Mattie) Belle Smith Phillips was my great grandmother. James L. and Thomas B. were her brothers. I went back to Ben Phillips' death certificate. Everything my Daddy and his sisters told me was wrong. Ben and both parents were born in GA. I must really be an old dumb blonde. It said right there in black and white that Bailey and Sarah Baker Phillips were Ben's parents.

              Again, thank you so very much,

              Pat Alexander

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 12, 2005
                Pat, don't believe everything you read in black & white.
                The person giving the information MAY or may Not know the
                full truth. I have experienced many difference of "facts"
                given by different relatives. It is surprising how many
                places my gggrandfather James Holloway was born. The new
                information on the death certificate may lead you to the
                truth but remember that the person giving the information
                on the dead person only know what they have heard. Find
                more proof. I've been led down the primrose path and have
                folders of information on persons other than the one I
                thought I was researching. Good luck. Kate

                On Sun, 12 Jun 2005 22:02:39 -0500
                "Pat Alexander" <walex1@...> wrote:
                > Martha (Mattie) Belle Smith Phillips was my great grandmother.
                > James L. and Thomas B. were her brothers. I went back to Ben
                >Phillips' death certificate. Everything my Daddy and his sisters
                >told me was wrong. Ben and both parents were born in GA. I must
                >really be an old dumb blonde. It said right there in black and white
                >that Bailey and Sarah Baker Phillips were Ben's parents.
                >
                > Again, thank you so very much,
                >
                > Pat Alexander

              • Pat Alexander
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 13, 2005
                  Kate, I appreciate your input. By the time I started in genealogy, there was only my Dad and 3 siblings left for me to question. Each one of them believed it was either Tennessee, North Carolina, Kentucky and/or Georgia. All of them in their 80s.

                  Please let me say that I'm amazed at the friendly exchange of information on this list. In reading back over the archives, I've found quite a few suggestions that are very helpful. That helps a lot. Gives a lot of clues as to how and where to search. As soon as I have a few spare minutes, I want to share search options given by a speaker at one of our genealogical meets. Like the advanced Google options. The speaker was a professional genealogist and gave a lot of new insight. Spare time? Whazzat???? They sure don't sell that on eBay. I looked.

                  Our local society has about 5000 personal family files, based on, but not exclusively, Northeast Alabama. If any of you would like to submit some names, I'll check and see what I can find for you. The only problem lies in the fact that the library is only open on Thursdays. Look at our web site below. Researchers are welcome. For the past 2 weeks, there have been three researchers in from Texas. There will always be a smiling face to help you as much as possible with our resources. By signing our GuestBook, you can list the names of those you are searching for.

                  My best to all of you with many thanks,

                  "Pat Alexander" <walex1@...> wrote:
                  > Martha (Mattie) Belle Smith Phillips was my great grandmother.
                  > James L. and Thomas B. were her brothers. I went back to Ben
                  >Phillips' death certificate. Everything my Daddy and his sisters
                  >told me was wrong. Ben and both parents were born in GA. I must
                  >really be an old dumb blonde. It said right there in black and white
                  >that Bailey and Sarah Baker Phillips were Ben's parents.
                  >
                  > Again, thank you so very much,
                  >
                  > Pat Alexander

                • pam kelley
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 15, 2005
                    Pat, i'm searching for any Chavers or Shavers who
                    lived around Sand Mts. During the Trail of Tears .
                    My grandfathers name was Willis Chaver and he married
                    an Cherokee Maiden . And they hid in the Mts .
                    There were servial childrren . Andrew , Samiel ,
                    nathan , and a few more girls to but i cannot find any
                    thing about then. Do you have any thing about them .
                    or any other family. There was also some Evans living
                    there also . A john Evans. I think . Thank
                    you Pam Shavers Kelley email is :
                    cherie12272@...

                    pam have a good day GOD love you

                    Discover Yahoo!