McClain, Guthrie,Pendergrass, Sims From Jackson County

  • Vickie Hensley
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31 12:49 PM
      My Grandmother, Pearlie Ann McClain, b. 1900 in Scottsboro, Jackson, AL., married my Grandfather, Walter (Phelix) Lee Sims b. 1900 in Grant, Marshall, AL in 1919.

      Pearls parents, John William and Sarah Ellen Guthrie McClain, called Will and Ellen, married 1893 and lived around Scottsboro, "Hunt's Store PO., until 1910, when Will mysteriously drowned.
      The story goes that he was doing some work down at a body of water behind their house, not sure what size body of water, and was found drowned with his head in the water and his body on land. No sign of a struggle or that anyone else had been there was found. Will's Grandparents, Willis and Nancy Pendergrass, lived with Will and Ellen at that time.

      Will was the son of Thomas J. McClain and Martha (Mattie) Pendergrass. Thomas J. was the son of Russel M. b. abt 1825 and Mary Ann McClain b. abt. 1821, both born in GA.. Thomas served in the Confererate Company S in 1st Lieutenant John Orr's company, Randolph County Reserves, Alabama. He was a Private. I have records of him to 1870 but nothing after that. Mattie and her 3 sons were living with her parents, Willis and Nancy Pendergrass in 1880.

      Note: Willis Pendergrass was in the confederacy, Company E, 48 Alabama Infantry. He was a Musician..

      Ellen McClain later married Fred Tyson Morgan b. 1864 in TN. Fred was a widower with 3 children. When his wife died, Fred and his family moved in with his brother, John H.Morgan in Marshall County. I don't have an exact date of marriage for Fred and Ellen but it was before 1920. They migrated to Louisiana with Ellen's Daughter and son in law, Pearlie Ann and Walter (Phelix) Lee Sims, daughter Nona and Fred's son Charlie and his daughter Bessie between 1920 and 1922. They settled in what is now Webster Parish in the Springhill/Sarepta area.. This is where Phelix, Pearl, Ellen, Fred and Charlie lived the rest of their lives. They are buried in the Blocker's Chapel Cemetery in Sarepta, Louisiana.

      I hope this will help in our quest for building our Family Tree's.
      I appreciate anything you can add.

      Thanks,
      Vickie Hensley

      vhensley400@...