McClain, Pendergrass, Guthrie, Sims and May families in Jackson

  • Vickie Hensley
    Message 1 of 1 , May 26, 2005
      Hi,
      I just returned from a visit and research trip in Jackson and Marshall Counties, where many of my ancestors lived. It is beautiful country.

      Many of my ancestors lived in both Jackson, Marshall and a couple of other counties near by over the years.

      GrGrGrGrandparents: John Sims b. abt. 1802 in SC and Rhoda House or Turner, b. abt 1808 in SC. Resided in Marshall, AL in 1840 and 1850. I have not been able to find anything else on them.

      (John's name was listed as William and Rhoda's maiden name listed as House in their son Thomas' Obit. and Rhoda's maiden name listed as Turner in another son's Obit).

      GrGrGrandfather: Thomas Sims b. abt 1839 on Gunters Mountain in Marshall Co., He served in the Civil War. Married Matilda May Nov. 3, 1859 in Marshall Co., AL.
      Matilda was born abt. 1839 in AL. They had 3 children: My GrGrandfther, William (Joe) Joseph b. May 8, 1858; Martha A. b. 1964;
      Thomas E. b. 1867.
      Thomas moved to Indiana for a couple of years after the Civil War. This is where their youngest son, Thomas E. was born and where Matilda died. I have been unable to find the town where they resided or the date of her death.
      Thomas and his children then returned to Marshall Co. He remarried Oct. 25, 1870, to Sarah A. Davis. They had 5 children, 2 of which died before reaching adulthood.
      Thomas and Sarah lived together until her death, a few years before his which was Nov. 3, 1928. They are both buried at Ashburn Cemetery in the Sinks.

      Matilda May's parents were Daniel and Martha Holt May. Daniel was born abt. 1783 in VA and Martha was born abt. 1815 in TN or KY. They married april 12, 1839. I have not been able to find a definate death date for Daniel or Martha, but I do know Daniel died before 1860.

      My Great Grandparents were William (Joe) Joseph and Millie Roberts Sims. Joe was born May 12, 1858 and Millie was born Nov. 25, 1864, both in Marshall Co., AL. They had 10 Children. The 8th was my Grandfather, Walter (Philix) Lee Sims b. feb. 13, 1900. In March 29, 1919 he married my Grandmother, Pearlie Ann McClain b. Feb. 27, 1900 in Scottsboro, Jackson, AL.
      I am going to stop here and con't later. I would greatly appreciate any info anyone has about my famliy and will be glad to share what info I have.

      Vickie Hensley

      yoyo2750@...