Re: [jacksongenealogy] William Hill of Paint Rock

  • Karl Plenge
    Message 1 of 11 , May 2 6:35 PM
      > This looks like your William Hill there are no
      > Gormleys on the 1880 in Paint Rock there is on
      > the 1900.

      Thank you, that is indeed them. Do you or anyone know what became of the
      descendants?
      Message 2 of 11 , May 3 10:04 AM
        Karl

        1850 Census Dist 21 Jackson Co. AL
        Claiborn B. Hill 44 Farmer
        Lucinda 44 AL
        Hiram W. 19 AL
        William R. 16 AL

        1860 Huntsville, Madison Co. AL
        William R. Hill 21 Clerk AL
        Robert J. Watkins 19 Clerk AL
        Thomas P. Gurley 19 Clerk AL
        William B. Bradley 26 AL

        1870 Township 4 Range3 Jackson Co. AL
        W.R. Hill 36 Dry Goods Merchant AL
        Mary E. 32 Keeping House AL
        Claborne 7 Male AL
        Wiley 5 Male AL
        Tancy 2 Female?? AL (List as son on 1880)
        Mannie 1 Female AL

        I don't know if the below are the same as those
        on the census.

        Wiley E. Hill m. Mary C. Brewer 23 Aug 1885

        Tannie Lee Hill m. Emma Gertrude McDaniel 28 Aug
        1894

        I did not see any of them on the 1900 Jackson Co.
        Census.

        Clay
      • Karl Plenge
        Message 3 of 11 , May 3 10:35 AM
          Clay -

          Thank you very much for all of that! I know that T L ended up in Memphis
          (Collierville), because I have one letter from him to my grandmother in the
          1950's. But I know that at least some of the others stayed in Paint Rock,
          or at least were buried there. Maybe they moved away and were returned for
          burial, I don't know.

          Anyway, thanks a lot!

          Karl
        • Sylvia King
          Message 4 of 11 , May 3 2:42 PM
            I believe the Hiram W. Hill listed with Claiborn B. Hill on the 1850 census
            is Hiram Wylie Hill who married Susan Angelina Irby (my great grandfathers
            sister) Dec. 23, 1869. They came to Sipe Springs, Comanche County, Texas
            where he died December 10, 1897. He named a son Clayborn Byron Hill.
            Hiram's first wife was Martha Mithcell who he married in 1853.

            Sylvia
            > Tancy 2 Female?? AL (List as son on 1880)
            > Mannie 1 Female AL
            >
            > I don't know if the below are the same as those
            > on the census.
            >
            > Wiley E. Hill m. Mary C. Brewer 23 Aug 1885
            >
            > Tannie Lee Hill m. Emma Gertrude McDaniel 28 Aug
            > 1894
            >
            > I did not see any of them on the 1900 Jackson Co.
            > Census.
            >
            > Clay
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Karl Plenge
            Message 5 of 11 , May 3 4:40 PM
              > I believe the Hiram W. Hill listed with Claiborn B. Hill on the 1850
              census
              > is Hiram Wylie Hill who married Susan Angelina Irby (my great grandfathers
              > sister) Dec. 23, 1869. They came to Sipe Springs, Comanche County, Texas
              > where he died December 10, 1897. He named a son Clayborn Byron Hill.
              > Hiram's first wife was Martha Mithcell who he married in 1853.

              Interesting, thank you! Do you know the cause of Martha's demise, or
              whether she was from TX or AL?
            • Sylvia King
              Message 6 of 11 , May 4 7:24 AM
                I assume Martha was from Alabama,but that is only a guest. Family stories
                say Hiram W. and Martha had 2 children, but I have no records for them. I
                haven't really done much research on this line. Sylvia
                > > I believe the Hiram W. Hill listed with Claiborn B. Hill on the 1850
                > census
                > > is Hiram Wylie Hill who married Susan Angelina Irby (my great
                grandfathers
                > > sister) Dec. 23, 1869. They came to Sipe Springs, Comanche County,
                Texas
                > > where he died December 10, 1897. He named a son Clayborn Byron Hill.
                > > Hiram's first wife was Martha Mithcell who he married in 1853.
                >
                > Interesting, thank you! Do you know the cause of Martha's demise, or
                > whether she was from TX or AL?
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Percy B. Keel
                Message 7 of 11 , May 4 2:21 PM
                  Hi,
                  Saw your query on the JACKSON Co. website. There is a William Hill a
                  Civil War Vet. buried in the old section of Madison, Madison Co. AL.
                  cemetery,If you think this may some one of your Hill's let me know and will
                  send you the dates.
                  > I assume Martha was from Alabama,but that is only a guest. Family stories
                  > say Hiram W. and Martha had 2 children, but I have no records for them. I
                  > haven't really done much research on this line. Sylvia

                • Karl Plenge
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 4 2:49 PM
                    > Saw your query on the JACKSON Co. website. There is a William Hill a
                    > Civil War Vet. buried in the old section of Madison, Madison Co. AL.
                    > cemetery,If you think this may some one of your Hill's let me know and
                    will
                    > send you the dates.

                    My understanding is that the William Hill I am researching is buried in
                    Paint Rock, but if you have the dates (and don't have to make a trip to get
                    them), please go ahead and send them just to be sure.

                    Thanks!
                  • Percy B. Keel
                    Message 9 of 11 , May 4 3:20 PM
                      William W. Hill "Co K" 51st TN Cav.
                      27 December 1826-2 November 1899.
                      Buried in old section of Madison AL Cemetery
                      > > Saw your query on the JACKSON Co. website. There is a William Hill
                      > > Civil War Vet. buried in the old section of Madison, Madison Co. AL.
                      > > cemetery,If you think this may some one of your Hill's let me know and
                      > will
                      > > send you the dates.
                      >
                      > My understanding is that the William Hill I am researching is buried in
                      > Paint Rock, but if you have the dates (and don't have to make a trip to
                      get
                      > them), please go ahead and send them just to be sure.
                      >
                      > Thanks!
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Karl Plenge
                      Message 10 of 11 , May 4 3:21 PM