RE: [jacksongenealogy] Memories

  • Sanders, Dennis R.
    Message 1 of 41 , May 2, 2005
      Regina: The Hollywood teacher, Mrs. Sanders, was my aunt Lena Mae (Her
      husband, Milton, drove a bus for years as well as farming.

      If I remember correctly, knives were banned, not because anyone stabbed
      someone (to grab any weapon during a fight was to declare yourself a coward)
      but because we boys like to carve our names, along with other things, in
      desks.

      I do remember playing marbles but we were not supposed to play keepsees. If
      we got caught, we had to give our captured marbles back to their original
      owners. It usually didn't come to authorities' attention until you got
      someone's favorite shooter.

      I do not remember shows requiring pay at Hollywood or Stevenson. Probably
      means I did not see them. I was with you in the study hall, I guess. I do
      remember donkey basketball. When I was in High School, Stevenson, I made a
      terrible mistake in agreeing to ride one. I spent my night on my back (hurt
      and humiliated) to the delight of everyone that I was working very hard to
      impress.

      I do remember traveling tent roller skate rink that came to Scottsboro about
      once a year and traveling circus and rodeos that set up in our pasture
      behind dad's (Raymond Sanders) service station on Hwy. 72, just N. of
      Fackler Road. A lot of people got hurt volunteering to participate in rodeo
      competition. Of course, there were no law suits. Winners got a little
      money, but I don't remember how much. One circus had a bear that would
      drink cokes that dad would sell you. Some teenagers got the idea to mix
      homemade liquor (homebrew) with the coke. Bear would drink it and got
      falling down drunk. The owner did not appreciate the humor. Farmers filled
      dad's service station anytime they were rained out of the fields or were
      caught up and bluegrass and gospel jam sessions abounded, along with rise
      and fly rook games. We had 2 Spider monkeys that ran around the station.
      Also, they had turkey shoots at Thanksgiving. It really was Guinea shoots.
      They're a lot harder to hit.

      Being Poor is still tough on kids. Have you priced cheerleading prices for
      a year lately?

      I am always amazed with your memory. It is much clearer than mine.

      Dennis Sanders
      Union, Ky.

      Message 41 of 41 , Mar 24, 2006
        In a message dated 3/24/2006 8:32:31 P.M. Central Standard Time,
        _blackcloud27030@..._ (mailto:blackcloud27030@...) writes:

        Velma

        I checked it and it works fine for me. Anyone else having problems getting
        LINKS at the Group Home website to work?

        Clay
        ******

        OK, Clay, I'll try again.
        Thanks,