Fackler, Alabama

  • Eugene Summers
    Message 1 of 18 , May 2 3:11 AM
      Hello,

      Can anyone share information regarding the location of a community, Fackler located in Jackson County?

      Researching Tankersley and Jackson surnames with connections in Jackson County.

      Eugene Summers

    • Charles McCutchen
      Message 2 of 18 , May 2 5:38 AM
        Eugene,

        Use the USGS Names Server:

        http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnis/web_query.gnis_web_query_form

        Eugene Summers <esummers@...> wrote:
        Hello,

        Can anyone share information regarding the location of a community, Fackler located in Jackson County?

        Researching Tankersley and Jackson surnames with connections in Jackson County.

        Eugene Summers

      • frances_lambert2000
        Message 3 of 18 , May 2 8:19 AM
          Fackler is located between Stevenson and Hollywood.From stevenson
          take HWY 72 going towards Scottsboro turn on county road 42. There is
          no stores in fackler now .Mutt Mcguffie and C.A. wilson both did run
          stores in fackler. Wilsons store had the postoffice in it .Facklers
          mail now goes through Stevensons postoffice but they still have
          fackler addresses.C.A. wilsons son closed the store and opened up a
          new store on the corner of 72 HWY and county road 42.It is a store
          and truck stop.Hope this helps.
          Frances

          --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Eugene Summers"

        • usercm23980@aol.com
          Message 4 of 18 , May 2 8:29 AM
            In a message dated 02-May-05 10:21:57 Central Daylight Time,
            frances_lambert2000@... writes:

            unsubscribe me

          • Richard Matthews
            Message 5 of 18 , May 2 8:49 PM
              Cordinates of old Bolivar

              Some one asked on Friday about the location of the original town of
              Bolivar. I have those coordinates taken form a certified 1837 Jackson
              County map. Bolivar was located in the south east quadrant of the Bengis
              Reservation with its center near 34 degrees fifty three minutes 39
              seconds LAT, -85 degrees 48 minutes 45 seconds LONG. The northwest
              corner of the town was just southeast of Brown's Spring. The Old Mt.
              Carmel road passed diagonally through the town from the southwest to the
              north east.

              The Bengis Reservation was a 640 acres grant to a Cherokee named Bengis
              as a result of the Calhoun Treaty of 1817 that allowed Cherokee to
              receive the land if they became a US citizen and agreed to live on the
              land. Bengis must have been a smart man for this 640 acres is some of
              the best, flattest farm land in the area. I have read that the children
              from white men that had married native women were also able to receive
              such land. There were many reservations in Jackson County. The town of
              Bellefonte was also located on a reservation.

              After the railroad came through the area, after 1850, Bolivar was
              relocated about three quarter miles to the east near the track and near
              present day North Jackson Hospital location.

              Bolivar, which was named after famous South American Simon Bolivar, was
              a trail/road hub in the earlier days but never made it as a rail town
              since it was so near Stevenson. Today about three quarter miles to the
              northeast of the present location is the Bolivar Cemetery, once called
              the Old Baptist Cemetery. The cemetery is near and to the west of Robert
              E. Lee hwy, US 72.

              Postscript. There is some disagreement about Bolivar's original
              location but the location I have given can be verified by reference to
              the 1837 map which contains signatures proclaiming its accuracy.

              Richard
            • joy0420@charter.net
              Message 6 of 18 , May 4 11:39 AM
                > I'm sure you'll get a reply on directions, just wanted to give you a tip. THere are numerous Tankersley's in Moore Co TN. At least 1 married into the Smith's of Rev. Joseph Smith, Meth minister. JOY
                > From: "Eugene Summers" <esummers@...>
                > Date: 2005/05/02 Mon AM 10:11:26 GMT
                > To: <jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com>
                > Subject: [jacksongenealogy] Fackler, Alabama

              • Jewel Casey
                Message 7 of 18 , May 5 6:14 PM
                  Yes, there are a lot of TANKERSLEY families in Moore County, TN. The Heritage Book of Moore County has just been published and you can go to the following address to see if these are your Tankersley families. If so, you may be able to still order the book.

                  Good luck with your research
                  Jewel

                  http://www.freewebs.com/moorecountyheritage
                  > I'm sure you'll get a reply on directions, just wanted to give you a tip. THere are numerous Tankersley's in Moore Co TN. At least 1 married into the Smith's of Rev. Joseph Smith, Meth minister. JOY
                  > From: "Eugene Summers" <esummers@...>
                  > Date: 2005/05/02 Mon AM 10:11:26 GMT
                  > To: <jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com>
                  > Subject: [jacksongenealogy] Fackler, Alabama

                • billeckfamily
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 27, 2007
                    Are there any cemeteries there? I checked the yellow pages, but it
                    shows the closest one is in Hollywood.

                    I'm planning a trip to the area and I'm trying to acquire as much info
                    as I can before the trip.

                    My relatives all lived in the Fackler area in the 1900 & 1910 census.
                    I have a grandmother that is living in 1910 - but no death certificate
                    info can be found on her. I was hoping to find a headstone in the area.
                  • Tonia Porter
                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 27, 2007
                      Who are the families you are researching from Fackler? Most of my
                      husband's kin are from there.

                      Tonia Porter

                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 27, 2007
                        They all stem from the Winchester and Wynes families.

                        Terri

                        --- Tonia Porter <toniab@...> wrote:

                        > Who are the families you are researching from
                        > Fackler? Most of my
                        > husband's kin are from there.
                        >

                        > Tonia Porter

                      • John Green
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 28, 2007
                          Terri,

                          Could your Wynes line include any alternate spellings such as Wynne?
                          My best friend is a Wynne and he has relatives in the Stevenson area
                          who have been there several generations. If your interested you can
                          contact me at: dragonriders@....

                          John Green

                          Message 12 of 18 , Nov 29, 2007
                            My Wynes were a family of females. One daughter must
                            have had an out-of-wedlock son named Lafayette Wynes.
                            He's listed in Jackson Co. in the 1870 census.

                            I haven't been able to trace him any further to know
                            if this surname lived on. His mother is in the 1900
                            census under the last name Griffey. It shows she gave
                            birth to one child, one child still living. But- I
                            can't find him.

                            Terri

                            Be a better pen pal.
                          • Terri Billeck
                            Message 13 of 18 , Nov 29, 2007
                              In the 1880 census, the grandmother Jemima Wynes has a
                              four year old, Sam, living with her. Can't place this
                              one either.

                            • rgpipes@hughes.net
                              Message 14 of 18 , Nov 29, 2007
                                Wonder if they may have also gone by WYNN?
                                Regina

                                _____

                                In the 1880 census, the grandmother Jemima Wynes has a
                                four year old, Sam, living with her. Can't place this
                                one either.

                                Terri

                                --- John Green <HYPERLINK

                                "mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com"jacksongenealogy@-yahoogroups.-co
                                > > > [mailto:HYPERLINK
                                "mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com"jacksongenealogy@-yahoogroups.-co
                                m] On
                                > Behalf
                                > > > Of billeckfamily
                                > > > Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2007 10:49 AM
                                > > > To: HYPERLINK
                                "mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com"jacksongenealogy@-yahoogroups.-co
                                > > > Subject: [jacksongenealogy] Fackler, Alabama
                                > > >
                                > > > Are there any cemeteries there? I checked the
                                > yellow
                                > > > pages, but it
                                > > > shows the closest one is in Hollywood.
                                > > >
                                > > > I'm planning a trip to the area and I'm trying
                                > > > acquire as much info
                                > > > as I can before the trip.
                                > > >
                                > > > My relatives all lived in the Fackler area in
                                > the
                                > > > 1900 & 1910 census.
                                > > > I have a grandmother that is living in 1910 -
                                > but no
                                > > > death certificate
                                > > > info can be found on her. I was hoping to find
                                > > > headstone in the area.

                                > > > removed]
                                > > >

                                > > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                                > > >
                                > > > (Yahoo! ID required)
                                > > >

                                > mailto:HYPERLINK
                                "mailto:jacksongenealogy-fullfeatured%40yahoogroups.com"jacksongenealogy--fu
                                llfeatured@-yahoogroups.-com

                                ____________-_________-_________-_________-_________-_________-_
                                > > Be a better sports nut! Let your teams follow you
                                > > with Yahoo Mobile. Try it now.

                                HYPERLINK
                                "http://mobile.yahoo.com/sports;_ylt=At9_qDKvtAbMuh1G1SQtBI7ntAcJ"http://mob
                                ile.-yahoo.com/-sports;_ylt=-At9_qDKvtAbMuh1G-1SQtBI7ntAcJ

                                > removed]
                                >

                                > Yahoo! Groups Links
                                >
                                > (Yahoo! ID required)
                                >
                                > mailto:HYPERLINK
                                "mailto:jacksongenealogy-fullfeatured%40yahoogroups.com"jacksongenealogy--fu
                                llfeatured@-yahoogroups.-com

                                ____________-_________-_________-_________-_________-_________-_
                                with Yahoo Mobile. Try it now. HYPERLINK
                                "http://mobile.yahoo.com/sports;_ylt=At9_qDKvtAbMuh1G1SQtBI7ntAcJ"http://mob
                                ile.-yahoo.com/-sports;_ylt=-At9_qDKvtAbMuh1G-1SQtBI7ntAcJ

                                Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                                12:29 PM

                                Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                                12:29 PM

                              • paula stockebrand
                                Message 15 of 18 , Nov 29, 2007
                                  This is a long shot, but does anyone have ancestors who lived in Winchester,
                                  Virginia? I believe my Alabama family may have originated in Virginia, either Surry,
                                  or Winchester..
                                  Paula

                                • malbuff@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Nov 30, 2007
                                    Yes, Paula, both lines of my Snodgrass ancestors lived in or around Frederick Towne, now Winchester, in the 1700s.?? I have Stephens family history in the area as well, though not direct
                                    ancestors.? My Larkin ancestors came through here on their way to Augusta county (near
                                    Natural Bridge), though we've no evidence they settled here.?

                                    Many settlers from Pennsylvania came through this?area on their way to present-day Kentucky,
                                    Alabama, Mississippi, and Missouri.? US Route 11, which runs right through town here, was long known as the "Old Philadelphia Road" or the "Philadelphia Wagon Road" even before it was macademized in the mid-1800s and?called the "Old Valley Pike".

                                    It is?possible your Winchester ancestors may also have lived for a generation or two in southwestern Virginia (Washington and Wythe counties were?settled?by pioneers from northern Virginia and Pennsylvania).????

                                    Several branches of the Snodgrass family left Winchester shortly after the Revolution and migrated to Washington county, Va., before 1800.? Within twenty years, they were settled at Bellefonte, in
                                    Jackson county, Ala., with others settling?in Cherokee county.

                                    Who are your families from Winchester?

                                    Glory to God,

                                    David Malbuff
                                    Strasburg, Virginia (about 15 miles south of Winchester)

                                    This is a long shot, but does anyone have ancestors who lived in Winchester,
                                    Virginia? I believe my Alabama family may have originated in Virginia, either Surry,
                                    or Winchester..
                                    Paula

                                  • James and Barbara Dooley
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Nov 30, 2007
                                      Hello, David,

                                      We corresponded concerning Larkins back in 2004-5. My 3rd gt.grandparents
                                      were Jacob Swafford and Sarah Larkin. Several of Sarah's descendants think
                                      she was the daughter of Henry Mark and Jane Newton Larkin, but as you know,
                                      Dana has pretty well proven that their Sarah was another person
                                      entirely. I just wondered if you have learned any more about my Sarah in
                                      the last couple of years. I really would like to find her parents.

                                      Thanks,
                                      Barbara Dooley

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Nov 30, 2007
                                        David, thank you very much. I do have some notes for the Larkins..and a DNA match is named Gerald Larkin Wall.
                                        My Winchester line is Mark Wall. His sons David Wall, Jesse Wall, Daniel, William, are in Jackson County in various censuses.
                                        Sincerely,
                                        Paula