Re: [jacksongenealogy] BRYAN(T)-DENMAN-NORWOOD-ROBINSON

    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 29, 2005
      Jackie

      James R. Bryant's wife on the 1870 is Martha A.
      age 33, his wife on the 1880 is Martha M. age 46.

      Martha A. has died and he married again to a
      Martha M. Downs, hence the step-children named
      Downs.

      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 29, 2005
        Jackie

        There is a Mary A. Downs 36 wife of Wilson Downs
        65 with a number of children including Artisima 7
        and William 5 listed on the 1870 Franlkin Co. GA
        Census, the youngest daughter however is named
        Martha 3.????

        Clay
      • Richard Matthews
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 29, 2005
          Confederate Veteran burials at Bolivar Cemetery, Jackson County,
          Alabama.
          Previously know as Old Baptist Cemetery

          North of Stevenson on Highway 72 turn left at Jackson County Road 69.
          Cemetery located on left.

          Submitted by Jeff Thomson cpq11h2e@...

          Daniel Oyler

          Co. H 21 GA Inf.

          Born 16 March 1816

          Died 11 February 1891

          Fredrick Oyler

          Co. H 21 GA Inf..

          Born 23 July 1837

          Died 11 June 1909
          William Payne

          Co. K 6th AL Inf.

          Born 15 March 1833

          Died 30 January 1921
          John M. Talley

          18th Batt. AL Inf.

          Born 4 June 1845

          Died 27 September 1891
          James B. Westmoreland

          Co. K 6th AL Inf.

          Born 3 March 1840
          John F. Westmoreland

          Co. K 6th AL Inf.

          Born 1847

          Died 1862
          Thomas D. Westmoreland

          Co. K 6th AL Inf.

          Born 1843

          Died 1925
          John Wilson

          Co. A 18th Batt. AL

          Born 1810

          Died 1908
          Confederate Veteran Cross - unknown

          James Matthews

          Grave location uncertain
        • Richard Matthews
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 29, 2005
            Someone asked recently about the route followed by the Federal Rad
            through Tennessee. Here is a rough description. After going north
            through Ross's Landing and on to Nickajack it passed near South
            Pittsburg near Battle Creek, on the Winchester then to Shelbyville, on
            To Franklin then to Nashville. This road tied the coast/port to the
            interior going through Cherokee land in the very early 1800's. Some of
            Jackson County's settlers probably followed this route up from Savannah.
            Of course they can from many other directions also.

            Richard
          • Richard Matthews
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 29, 2005
              After a recent question about the two locations of the town of Bolivar
              in Jackson County I have been looking at some old maps. Before the
              coming of the railroad Bolivar was a major town in Jackson County
              because of its location as an intersection point of roads/trails coming
              from several directions. When the rails came through Stevenson developed
              on the tracks just a little way west of Bolivar. Old Bolivar held on for
              a few years but slowly dwindled. I just read a map that showed the town
              relocated to its present location near the rail track in 1879. But the
              move was not enough to save the town and today it is not even
              incorporated.
              According to all the maps I have looked at, Old Bolivar was at the
              location of what is now called Edgefield.

              The same thing happened to Bellefonte except that Bellefonte was a river
              town then the rail came through several miles away. A Bellefonte station
              was started east of present day Hollywood but it too failed and is
              nonexistent today, Like the old town of Bellefonte. (Scotts Station,
              Scottsville, Scottsborough, Scottsboro) located on the tracks just
              southwest of Bellefonte became its replacement.

              Richard
            • Richard Matthews
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 29, 2005
                Someone asked about the location of the Shelton Cemetery It is north of
                Scottsboro at a point south of the road that runs from Pikeville to
                Cumberland mountain at Tupelo. The cemetery is at the base of the ridge
                that is south of Tupelo. I do not know its condition.

                Richard
              • wayward39
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 29, 2005
                  If some one hase the names of some of the unmarked tombstones vwould be
                  great. I have a John T. Owens died March 29, 1940 that i suppose to be
                  buried in on of the unmarked tomestones any help would be great.

                  Steve

                  --- In jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Richard Matthews" <prm@h...>
                  wrote:

                  > Someone asked about the location of the Shelton Cemetery It is north
                  of
                  > Scottsboro at a point south of the road that runs from Pikeville to
                  > Cumberland mountain at Tupelo. The cemetery is at the base of the
                  ridge
                  > that is south of Tupelo. I do not know its condition.
                  >
                  > Richard
                • Matthews Joyce

                    Message 9 of 15 , May 4, 2005
                      Thank you, Richard. Does anyone know specific books or websites with possibly maps, etc?? JOY

                    • joy0420@charter.net
                      Message 10 of 15 , May 4, 2005
                        Interesting on "Bolivar". My hubby's g'mother, the 99 yr old Mathews descendant, says that Bolivar was no more than a rail station at the crossing on Hwy 277 & a little piece of road that connects it to Hwy 72. Now it seems everyone in the area (we live there) wants to rename the entire area Bolivar, much like whoever put up the sign at the Old Bapt Cemetery, renaming it Bolivar. She gets really cranked up over the locals renaming the area. lol.
                        JOY

                        > From: "Richard Matthews" <prm@...>
                        > Date: 2005/04/30 Sat AM 05:24:05 GMT
                        > To: <jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com>
                        > Subject: [jacksongenealogy] Old Bolivar new Bolivar

                      • sghelton
                        Message 11 of 15 , Sep 17 7:45 AM
                          There have been 2 burials recently at Shelton Cemetery in Scottsboro.
                          The first one was "Winnie Mae Elizabeth Owens Manning" spouse of Aubrey
                          Manning. She passed away on August 9th, 2008. The second one was
                          Emmett Lee Barnes spouse of Margaret Ann Manning Barnes. He passed
                          away on September 8th, 2008. He was also the son in law of Rayford
                          Howard and Ola Grace Wininger Manning.

                          Sheila Barnes Helton
                        • Karen
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 6, 2010
                            Hi
                            Can someone tell me when Decoration is at Shelton Cemetery?
                            Karen
                          • Charles McCutchen
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 7, 2010
                              I due up a few census records for the Dulaneys.  My g-g grandmother was Pliney Paralee Dulaney who was the daughter of William Dulaney and Nancy Maples.

                              1860 Federal Census
                              District 3, Jackson, Alabama (Paint Rock)
                              Wm Dulaney          45 (TN
                              Nancy Dulaney         39 (AL)
                              L C Dulaney         19 (AL)
                              J W Dulaney         14 (AL)
                              H E Dulaney         10 (AL)
                              J A Dulaney         5  (AL)
                              P P Dulaney         2  (AL)

                              1870 Federal Census
                              Larkinsville, Jackson, Alabama
                              John W Dulaney      24 (AL)
                              Mandy Dulaney         24 (AL)
                              William L Dulaney     9/12 (AL)

                              1870 Federal Census
                              Larkinsville, Jackson County, Alabama
                              William Dulaney      56 (TN)
                              Nancy Dulaney         49 (TN)
                              James A Dulaney     15 (AL)
                              Palina P Dulaney     12 (AL)
                              Malissa A Dulaney     9  (AL)

                              1880 Federal Census
                              Woodsville, Jackson, Alabama
                              J. W. Delaney          34 (AL,TN,TN)
                              A. L. Delaney         33 (AL,KY,KY)
                              W. L. Delaney         9  (AL)
                              J. W. Delaney         8  (AL)
                              W. W. Delaney         4  (AL)
                              N. E. Delaney         1  (AL)

                              1910 Federal Census
                              Aspel, Jackson, Alabama
                              John W Dulaney      66 (AL,TN,TN)
                              Amanda Dulaney         66 (AL,KY,KY)
                              James B Dulaney     36 (AL)
                              Wiley W Dulaney     34 (AL)
                              Elbert H Dulaney     8 * (AL)
                              * grandson

                              1920 Federal Census
                              James B Dunbuy      46
                              Ida Dunbuy         30
                              Lora M Dunbuy         4
                              Jimie Dunbuy         0
                              John W Dulaney         76*
                              * boarder/widower

                            • SUE LONG
                              Message 14 of 15 , May 7, 2010
                                Some  says It Mothers Day I am not sure when it is , an I have heard it the first sunday in May, I wish I knew for sure may self my Dad James Sharp,Grandparents Will an Flora Mae Sharp,Great Grandparents JB an Plennia Sharp,Uncle Joel Sharp Anut Rachel are all buried in Shelton an the West that are buried their are my kinfolks.
                                Sue Long

                                From: Karen <kvgray64@...>
                                Subject: [jacksongenealogy] Shelton Cemetery
                                To: jacksongenealogy@yahoogroups.com