Memories

  • Regina
    Message 1 of 41 , Apr 28, 2005
      This is the most active I have seen Jackson County list. It is so good to
      see so many post their memories. I feel that several people that has been
      sitting back and afraid to ask questions are now jumping in and asking
      questions and also trying to help each other. Please keep the questions and
      memories coming. It is so good to see this list finally come alive.

      When I started school at Hollywood Red THOMAS was principal. I think my
      first grade teacher was Mrs. BRITT (I think). Other teachers were Mrs.
      SIMMONS, Miss Vera Maude HOLDER, Mrs.. PACE, Miss Pauline BRYANT, Mrs.
      Louise THOMAS, Mrs. Leila Mae SANDERS, Mrs. KING and Mrs. PHILLIPS. I
      almost forgot Mrs.. PHILLIPS but how could I do that. Mrs.. PHILLIPS was
      almost blind or at least we thought so until she would be writing on the
      board with her back to us and could call out the person that was out of
      their seat without even turning around. She had the prettiest white hair.
      Back then you didn't question what the teacher said and you sure didn't talk
      back.

      Remember playing marbles at school? I can also remember almost every boy
      carried a pocket knife to school. In later years they were banned so ever
      so often we would have a pocket search. Don't remember why that got
      started. I can't remember anything that caused it to happen.

      Do you remember the traveling shows that would come to the schools. I
      remember that we would have a magician once a year. It would cost anywhere
      from 10 -25 cents to go see them. What I never thought was fare was if you
      didn't pay to see the show you had to go to study hall and work. Guess where
      I was most of the time. -) Twenty five cents was hard to come by especially
      if you come from a large family. I remember one time a man brought a large
      great Dane to school and if you could ride him you got a prize but no one
      could. The trick was you had to get on him backwards and he would let you
      ride him that way. While I am telling tells I might as well tell something
      else that always bothered me. After Christmas you were allowed to bring one
      toy to school and show it to the class, I guess this was kind of like show
      and tell. You could get up and tell what all you had gotten for Christmas.
      Several of us would forget that we could bring something or at least that
      was what we said. Like I said, if you come from a large family money wasn't
      there.

    • Vrgfdonna@aol.com
      Message 41 of 41 , Mar 24, 2006
        In a message dated 3/24/2006 8:32:31 P.M. Central Standard Time,
        _blackcloud27030@..._ (mailto:blackcloud27030@...) writes:

        Velma

        I checked it and it works fine for me. Anyone else having problems getting
        LINKS at the Group Home website to work?

        Clay
        ******

        OK, Clay, I'll try again.
        Thanks,