RE: [jacksongenealogy] Poorhouses -Poor People - Poorhouse Mountain

    Message 1 of 81 , Apr 23 9:37 AM
      My Greatgrandfather's twin brother Thomas
      Jefferson Gullatt owned the land and ran the Poor
      House on Poor House Mountain. He died in 1897,
      does anyone know who ran the Poor House after he
      died and when was it closed? Was there any other
      Poor Houses in Jackson County? If so, where were
      they located? When was the last Poor House in
      Jackson County closed?

      In Surry County NC where I live the County Poor
      House and Farm was not closed until after 1966
      when Medicare and Mediaid combined with Social
      Security made it profitable for private entprise
      to open Rest and Nursing Homes. The County Poor
      House had infants to the very aged and many of
      the disabled. Was this the same in Jackson
      County?

      Clay Gullatt
      Mount Airy NC
    • JLH
      Message 81 of 81 , Feb 2, 2009
        I also want to give you Kens email address. It Is, khoward@... I am
        very sure he can be of help to you his work on the Howard family is
        tremendous. I have already told him you need some assistance. Good luck.

        John Hamilton

        _____

        From: jackman_0645 <hkatherinejohn@ <mailto:hkatherinejohn%40bellsouth.net>
        bellsouth.net>
        Subject: [jacksongenealogy] Re: SANDERS
        To: jacksongenealogy@ <mailto:jacksongenealogy%40yahoogroups.com>
        yahoogroups.com
        Date: Thursday, January 29, 2009, 6:23 AM

        Louis my name is John Hamilton. My best friend is Kenneth Howard who
        has researched the howard line for years. He has many ancestors from
        Jackson county. It is odd because we met 25 years ago in Maryville
        Tennessee and my ancestors are from Jackson county as well. His
        father went to school there. He has even compiled a book. I would be
        happy to try and place you in contact with him if you would like.
        Best regards.
        John Hamilton

        --- In jacksongenealogy@ yahoogroups. com, "martha woody"

        that I can help you with feel free to email me direct: meme1536@...

        > Louise

        Tennessee
        > > state line. I also am a short distance from the DeKalb and
        Jackson
        > > County Alabama state lines as well as near the Hamilton County,
        > > Tennessee state line near Chattanooga.
        > >
        > > US Hwy. 11 So. and I-59 So. run though a narrow valley between
        > > Lookout Mountain and Sand Mountain. Wildwood, Morganville, New
        > > England , City of Trenton, and Rising Fawn are Dade County,
        Georgia
        > > communities found in this valley area.
        > >
        > > Part of DeKalb Alabama and Dade County Georgia are on both
        Lookout &
        > > Sand Mountains.
        > >
        > > Louise
        > >
        > > --- On Tue, 1/27/09, Anne P. Johnson <annedpjohnson@ gmail.com>
        wrote:

        > > From: Anne P. Johnson <annedpjohnson@ gmail.com>
        > > Subject: Re: [jacksongenealogy] Re: SANDERS
        > > To: jacksongenealogy@ yahoogroups. com
        > > Date: Tuesday, January 27, 2009, 10:29 AM
        > >
        > > Honestly, I don't know the geography well enough to know.
        Archibald
        > > and Susannah Jacoway are buried in Cumberland Cemetery. I
        believe they
        > > lived in the Crow Creek valley area. Their son and grandson
        (and their
        > > families) both lived in Trenton GA and are buried in Trenton
        Cemetery.

        > > I find the way that the geography of the area affects the
        research
        > > there fascinating. How close is Trenton to Sand Mountain? is it
        ON
        > > Sand Mtn? And would someone who lived on the mountain be buried
        in the
        > > town? Was that common?
        > >
        > > Just wanted to say how much i appreciate this list and the
        > > knowledgeable folks on here. I just wish more of my family were
        in or
        > > from Jackson County!
        > >
        > > On Jan 27, 2009, at 10:19 AM, frances_lambert2000 wrote:
        > >
        > > > Was your Jacoway's on Sand Mountain? If So this could explain
        why
        > > > they were in trenton census. Part of Georgia is on
        Sandmountain
        > > Joins
        > > > Jackson And Dekalb Counties in Alabama.
        > > >
        > > > --- In jacksongenealogy@ yahoogroups. com, "Anne P. Johnson"