Re: [jacksongenealogy] Sills/Cox 1870 Jackson Co, AL

  • Mike Cummons
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 22, 2000
      Hi,

      I wish I knew. I have the record of all the floods and there wasn't one
      recorded for that year! My grandmother said that John SILLS got the other
      children to safety and had his wife and newborn on the roof of the house as
      it floated down stream. He was coming back for them when Amanda when she
      got scared and tried to swim to safety. Her body was found I think my
      grandmother said about 5 miles away. That's all I know. Amanda and John
      Jr. are on the mortality schedule for 1880. I assumed it meant they drown
      in 1879 but yesterday I read that the mortality schedule was the names of
      people that had been on the 1870 census but had died in between 1870 and
      1880. So...............I don't know exactly what to think about when she
      died. I need to get the flood report back out and see what year was the
      closes to 1879 maybe she died in another year than 1879.

      Georgia
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 22, 2000
        If Amanda and John, Jr. are on the 1880 Mortality Schedule, they still may
        have died in 1879. Look on the schedule and I think you will find that the
        deaths from , like July or August 1, 1879 to that same date 1880. What date
        is the death date on the 1880 schedule? Hope this helps.
        Jewel
        > I wish I knew. I have the record of all the floods and there wasn't one
        > recorded for that year! My grandmother said that John SILLS got the other
        > children to safety and had his wife and newborn on the roof of the house
        as
        > it floated down stream. He was coming back for them when Amanda when she
        > got scared and tried to swim to safety. Her body was found I think my
        > grandmother said about 5 miles away. That's all I know. Amanda and John
        > Jr. are on the mortality schedule for 1880. I assumed it meant they drown
        > in 1879 but yesterday I read that the mortality schedule was the names of
        > people that had been on the 1870 census but had died in between 1870 and
        > 1880. So...............I don't know exactly what to think about when she
        > died. I need to get the flood report back out and see what year was the
        > closes to 1879 maybe she died in another year than 1879.
        >
        > Georgia

      • Mike Cummons
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 25, 2000
          Thank you for checking.  I don't know if they were from there or not but since I can't seem to find her in Chattanooga maybe she was from AL.

          Thanks again,
          Georgia